cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A True Rv'er

abom2
Explorer
Explorer
I would just like to post my thanks to the gentleman who stopped on the side of I-10 in West Texas to help me.

Yesterday the winds were gusty out of the WSW, we were traveling east bound. Passing a semi-truck I guess I hit the perfect storm. Our awning billowed out at the rear end of it. I needed to remove it because it was damaged.

I pulled to the shoulder and unloaded the ladder to start cutting it away.

Here is the good part. A young gentleman from Canada stopped and was a huge help. He removed the frame hardware, helped get the all of the pieces into the 5th wheel.

I cannot say enough thanks to this gentleman for stopping. He was only thirty miles from his overnight stop in Ft. Stockton.

While I could have gotten it done, I would have been extremely slow and it would have been riskier. He was fast and efficient.

He IS a very good example of how we should all be. Especially me.
17 REPLIES 17

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
Mike LeClair wrote:
A Canadian, Eh? Makes my heart swell with pride!!!!!!

Be kind to each other folks!

Cheers!

Mike

x2 ๐Ÿ™‚
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
Mike LeClair wrote:
Cheers!
Mike

Yea ,There are still good people..
my batery died when shoping at Home depot and soon as I poped the hood open some dude stoped by asking if I need a boost..
very surprising since most everyone drives around here in a big rush to get who knows where..

dwayneb236
Explorer
Explorer
Mike LeClair wrote:

Cheers!

Mike

I work with a Canadian, She kindly brings me back ketchup flavored chips every time she goes home to visit. Awesome....But she needs to stop saying sorry so much. Eh?
2016 Ford F350 XLT DRW 6.7 SuperCrew 4X4 8 Ft Box
2016 Brookstone 395RL

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
evanrem wrote:
Sometimes people amaze us. With all the terrible things that happen now days and general lack of decency we are exposed to there is one thing i try to remind myself. In general for the most part people are still good and its actions like that and not the constant negative things covered in the news that give me hope. +1 human race, pay it forward.

X2

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Some folks still stop and help. Some will do you the favor of calling help for you.. Sadly too many just ignore you.

IN fairness.. There have been a few TV shows where someone staged a breakdown and robbed the good samaritan.

And there have been a few cases where bad folks watched those shows and decided to try it. So some folks see a break down and worry about personal security.

Can't say I blame 'em.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
There's been numerous times when we've been able to help our fellow travelers, and a couple when they've said hello (I meant help) is already coming. A few times I've wanted to stop and help but either the car was full, or I didn't feel safe with the family in tow given the situation I was seeing.

I try not to let my pre-conceived notions prevent me from doing good. But I do try extra hard to stop when I see someone that could be stereotyped by other motorists.

And... I always stop for a fellow rider, because it has been me!
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yeah, I could see one reaction being "Great, in addition to everything else, I'm gonna get robbed".
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Mike LeClair wrote:

Cheers!

Mike

x2

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

Mike_LeClair
Explorer
Explorer

Cheers!

Mike
Something Old, Something New
2012 F350 SRW, 6.7l Powerstroke, 3.55's front and rear.
2008 Fleetwood Regal 325RKTS
Mike, Carol and our 4 legged "furry child" Kenzie Shweenie Tod

sneakygroundbuz
Explorer
Explorer
Fizz wrote:
sneakygroundbuzzard wrote:
i dont trust people in general,so when i do get out of my vehicle to help that stranger i nonchanlantly let them be aware of the fact that i am carrying a sidearm(brush my jacket off to the side just enough that they can see it,then let my jacket fall back into place).never had a problem nor a negative comment from folks when i stop and offer help.
so yes,there is still hope for mankind

It's a sad world you live in.

we all live in a sad world. some of just choose not to look at it with blinders on.

where i live we have had isis inspired terrorist attacks,many immigrants have been arrested for helping isis etc etc.

once you have to deal with such things,you open your eyes to the real world,you try to live a normal life but look at things a bit differently.

i try to be a good person and do the right thing by helping out those i can,but i refuse to become a victim in the process.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fizz wrote:
Its a sad world we ALL live in, probably why some people take the precautions that they do.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I'm glad to see that there are some RV'ers that understand the fact that we should help when we can. As a motorcyclist and a snowmobilier, we would never let anyone stranded by the roadside, or even worse, back in the woods.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Don't matter where or when it is, if I see an RVer on the side of the road, I always stop and offer help. Most of the time my help is not needed, especially when the stop is needed because the kiddo's needed to use the bathroom! I'll pass on that one, thank-you!

But I have helped. Like the poster above, I once flagged a TT driver down because the rubber on his roof was literally ripping completely off and flopping behind the camper.

Another time, an older couple (on I-460 around Indianapolis) had their awning start flopping. It caught my attention and I passed them and flagged them down. They finally pulled over. I help the guy get the awning down as I had a ladder in the back of my pick-up.

Another time, traveling with the camper, we were on a back road with no exchange to the interstate below. When crossing over the interstate, I noticed a 5er pulled forward from under the overpass and a lady and a couple kids just sitting in the grass. I pulled the camper over, got out, climbed over the embankment and asked if they needed help. They said "no" the husband had just left with someone else who stopped (on the interstate), and was heading to a service station. They had a flat tire on the tow vehicle.

There are more stories I could share, but these 3 were the most memorable, probably because they all involved a little bit of drama. I asked each person (and I've helped many) to do only one thing in return for my efforts to help them. And that one thing is, if they ever see an RVer on the side of the road, to stop and help them too, because that person on the side of the road may someday be me!

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
sneakygroundbuzzard wrote:
i dont trust people in general,so when i do get out of my vehicle to help that stranger i nonchanlantly let them be aware of the fact that i am carrying a sidearm(brush my jacket off to the side just enough that they can see it,then let my jacket fall back into place).never had a problem nor a negative comment from folks when i stop and offer help.
so yes,there is still hope for mankind