cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A Very NiceThreaded Insert Dealer

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
There have been several requests for information how to install screws and even cap screws in the very thin materials used in the construction of RVs. The 0.10 or 0.125 Luan plywood and the exterior skin is often even thinner. Even 0.25 ply or wood composite material lacks strength when holding up coat hooks or towel bars and toilet paper rollers, and screws to back out and eventually strip out due to the vibration our rigs have.

I have used 1/16 Molly fasteners with great success in Luan but not so in fiberglass. Our Bounder had some wood backers for the sideview mirrors brackets but over time they leaked and when the mirror was hit by a big box delivery truck, I asked for help and someone recommended using Jack Nuts. Great solution, they are up to ยผ - 20 thread and very strong. They are like a Molly but without a screw or cap screw.

For years I have had a threaded insert tool and a wide verity of inserts up to 10 โ€“ 24. Mine were aluminum and lacked strength. When I stripped out an insert in my A&E awning, I was able to find some insert that were steel and knurled for extra gripping power.

The problems with the Jack Nuts and the threaded inserts was finding an adequate supply without having to by in bulk. Yesterday 9-18, I ordered 25, inserts in yellow zinc with a large flange and in 3/8 -16 thread. This time it is for mounting a tie-down on the bed rail of my pickup. Twenty five of them was $11.00 including USPS 1st. class postage. I received them today.

If you order on line you can get small quantities , call and minimum of 100 pieces.

No Paypal but CCs are great. Hope this is picked up by some of you for the next time someone needs one.

So here is the name for you and a URL clicky.

Hanson Rivet and Supply
13241 Weidner Street
Pacoima, CA 91331

Home page, Clicky
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II
7 REPLIES 7

bartlettj
Explorer
Explorer
McMaster-Carr is my goto for ordering stuff like this. Mcmaster.com.

They have both plain and self sealing.

MrWizard
My kit goes to 1/4-20
And that's the one i use the most and are almost gone
Need to order some replacements
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
D.E.Bishop wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
are we talking about pop rivet type things? I have a set of those that make a threaded insert.
bumpy

Not only those but a lot more. I too have a set with an installation tool, but, it only goes up to a 1/4-20 insert, these go up to 1/2 inch and M10-1.5. They have steel, aluminum and stainless.

Their web site lists their intire inventory and a good sized nuumber of use, size, and conversion charts, all of which are downloadable.

I didn't list all their stuff, there is just much. Give it a look Bumpy.

I bought a similar kit at Harbor Freight, don't remember how big they go however. certainly not 1/2 inch.
bumpy

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
are we talking about pop rivet type things? I have a set of those that make a threaded insert.
bumpy

Not only those but a lot more. I too have a set with an installation tool, but, it only goes up to a 1/4-20 insert, these go up to 1/2 inch and M10-1.5. They have steel, aluminum and stainless.

Their web site lists their intire inventory and a good sized nuumber of use, size, and conversion charts, all of which are downloadable.

I didn't list all their stuff, there is just much. Give it a look Bumpy.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
bumpy

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
I bookmarked the link
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

MrWizard
thanks Dave
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s