cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accident Information

4aSong
Explorer
Explorer
If you are unfortunate to be involved in a vehicle accident the Las Vegas Review Journal had an article What to do if you’re in a car accident, The article focuses mainly in the Las Vegas area but this same information can apply to wherever you may be traveling. Important information that is needed:

Write down (or ideally take a photograph of) the following:

• · The license plate number of any and all vehicles involved in the accident;

· The vehicle insurance card of any and all individuals involved in the accident;

· The Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) of any and all vehicles involved in the accident;

· The year, make and model of any and all vehicles involved in the accident;

· The driver’s license of any and all individuals involved in the accident;

· The telephone numbers of any and all individuals involved in the accident;

· The name, address, and telephone number of any witnesses to the accident;

· While at the scene of the accident, and when you are safely off the road: Write a brief description of the incident, include direction of travel, speed, road conditions, traffic volume, etc;

· If the other driver is acknowledging fault, ask them to sign a brief paragraph stating that fact.

If you are able to gather all of the information and details listed above, then you should have no problems in the future with asserting your rights to a claim or protecting yourself against a false claim. Printing the list above and putting it in your glove compartment, next to your registration and insurance, will help guarantee that you do not forget any relevant information related to the accident.
M & N

Tundra TRD V8 4x4 w/Leer Shell
EU2000i * Prodigy * McKesh * Trek * Renogy * ENU
14 REPLIES 14

R__Walter
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't see this mentioned. You should never share your insurance Limits of Liability with the other party. Let the two insurance companies work that out.
2016 Ram 3500 Aisin SRW LB
2005 Hitchhiker DA 31.5
Fulltimin'

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
My Insurance Card comes with an 'accident info card'
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

RCFROMFL
Explorer
Explorer
One other important task. Take the time to draw outa diagram with location of vehicles, and other points of interest.

All the above items are good. Based on 40 years of handling insurance claims.

kellertx5er
Explorer
Explorer
Campfire Time wrote:
One thing that's missing is to never admit fault to anyone, even if you know you are at fault. Let the police and the insurance companies involved work all that out.

"...even if you know you are at fault." This is what's wrong with the world today. No one is willing to take accountability for their (or their children's/pet's) actions.

I'm gonna take multiple beatings for this reply but I don't care. If you did it then be a man and take responsibility.
Keller TX
'19 Chevy 2500HD 6.0L
'09 Outback Sydney 321FRL 5er
SUPPORT TEXAS STATE PARKS

paulinemay
Explorer
Explorer
winnietrey wrote:
A police report is worth it's weight in gold. Even if you have to wait a hour or more, it is well worth it, and the most important thing you can do.

The fact is many people's story changes after the accident. And a police reports that establishes liability will eliminate many sleepless nights.

Unfortunately our Metro police here in Las Vegas in their infinite wisdom has announced they no longer will report to non-injury accidents here. However, if you're lucky enough to have had an accident on a state highway, highway patrol will still come.

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
The last time I had an accident I called the insurance company from the scene and told them what was going on. They asked me a few questions then had me hand the phone to the driver of the other car to get the info they wanted.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
The last time I had an accident I called the insurance company from the scene and told them what was going on. They asked me a few questions then had me hand the phone to the driver of the other car to get the info they wanted.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

winnietrey
Explorer
Explorer
A police report is worth it's weight in gold. Even if you have to wait a hour or more, it is well worth it, and the most important thing you can do.

The fact is many people's story changes after the accident. And a police reports that establishes liability will eliminate many sleepless nights.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
You forgot one important thing...
If any of the other drivers tries to leave the scene, get his picture first. Often the excuse they are told to use is that he must make a phone call. He may well be illegal and is only trying to flee the scene. This is a very common issue everywhere, not just the southwest.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

carl2591
Explorer III
Explorer III
on the picture theme. also take picture of the damaged vehicles as they sit form all angles you can get. plus picture of tags of vehicles and area around the accident scene,ie stop sign, street view etc.

the more you get the better.. if they have inspection sticker on front windshield that a shot of that..
Carl2591, Raleigh NC
2005 Airstream Classic 31D
2003 Ford F-250 SD, CC, 7.3L modded diesel machine
Every day is a new day with potential to be life changing.

Gruffy
Explorer
Explorer
If it's an RV or trailer.... copy the make. model and gross weight off the stickers. Then forward all to your insurance and let them sort it out.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Most of that info makes sense .. but there is no way I would let some stranger take a photo of my drivers license ... I would provide my insurance card and they can take pictures of my car all they want.
Kevin

crabbin_cabin
Explorer
Explorer
The other missing item - take pictures ( assuming you have a cell phone or camera.
Include shots of the various documents - insurance cards, drivers licenses etc. Pictures ARE worth a thousand words!! Hopefully your camera will put the date on the picture!

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Good info, though nothing new. Most insurance companies emphasize this info in their customer newsletters.

One thing that's missing is to never admit fault to anyone, even if you know you are at fault. Let the police and the insurance companies involved work all that out.
Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)