cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding a slide topper much longer than slide?

H20ENG
Explorer
Explorer
It looks like I need a 96" Solara for my 90.5" slide. Can I get a 10' topper so it also shades the side windows and keeps even more rain and debris from the slide?
It seems the limiting factor is the hex bar mounts for the roller. Can these hex bars be replaced with longer ones? Or would I need to add a channel all the way across the slide and extending past the ends for the mounting brackets to attach to? It seems some aluminum rectangle tubing would fit the bill.
I cant be the only one who wants an extra large awning over my slide.
Thanks for any info,
Chris
12 REPLIES 12

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
H20ENG wrote:
Thanks all for your input. I'm always questioning why things are the way they are and always learning in the process. I'll stick to the recommended topper and call it good.
If it's loose & flapping, or water ponding, just have it adjusted.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

H20ENG
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all for your input. I'm always questioning why things are the way they are and always learning in the process. I'll stick to the recommended topper and call it good.

JayGee
Explorer
Explorer
Chris Bryant wrote:
Put an electric patio awning over the whole thing.

There is the best option!
Jaygee

2005 Bounder 35E on F53 chassis

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
bukhrn wrote:
JayGee wrote:
I would rather just add another awning over the window or whatever. The flapping on a extra long slide topper would be significant and I wouldn't want to put up with that. Slide toppers are not usually pulled very tight..
I don't know what topper you have, or who installed them, but mine are tight as a banjo string, maybe you need to have yours adjusted.

That's the problem, most are not installed nice and tight. When I put one on our last RV i gave it an extra turn of tension and it worked fantastic. No water pooling, etc.
The ones on out new TT are loose and sloppy. I wish I had not ordered them with the RV and instead, installed better ones myself again.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
JayGee wrote:
I would rather just add another awning over the window or whatever. The flapping on a extra long slide topper would be significant and I wouldn't want to put up with that. Slide toppers are not usually pulled very tight..
I don't know what topper you have, or who installed them, but mine are tight as a banjo string, maybe you need to have yours adjusted.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
H20ENG wrote:
Thanks All,
That's why I was thinking of an aluminum channel spanning the whole length of the shade (2' total wider than the slide). The channel would attach to the slide and the roller brackets would then attach to that channel. I see no issue with this setup. The rigid channel would prevent the side load torque you speak of with the longer hex bars.
Am I off my rocker here? Should this be moved to DIY?
Thanks All
Not off your rocker, but minimal benefit for the amount of money and labor involved. IMO anyway.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
Chris Bryant wrote:

X2
Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella, Gracie

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

also was - 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

now - 2021 NoBo 19.5, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL (Talk about downsizing!)

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
-- Chris Bryant

JayGee
Explorer
Explorer
I would rather just add another awning over the window or whatever. The flapping on a extra long slide topper would be significant and I wouldn't want to put up with that. Slide toppers are not usually pulled very tight.
Jaygee

2005 Bounder 35E on F53 chassis

H20ENG
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks All,
That's why I was thinking of an aluminum channel spanning the whole length of the shade (2' total wider than the slide). The channel would attach to the slide and the roller brackets would then attach to that channel. I see no issue with this setup. The rigid channel would prevent the side load torque you speak of with the longer hex bars.
Am I off my rocker here? Should this be moved to DIY?
Thanks All

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Heck, you can do anything you want, but adding over a foot of topper roll to each side that would only be attached by a few screws into the side of the slideout might not be the best idea. The added leverage of that longer hex bar may put a lot of stress on those bolts and slide wall.

Personally I think the added shade would be minimal and not worth the risk. JMO of course.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
All of the slide toppers I have seen have the roller end attached to the slide itself. A wider topper...how would it attach the ends of the roller?

An AWNING can be attached to the side of the camper, so it can easily be larger 😉