cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Advice Needed

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking to take a camper and turn it into a trailer to transport dogs from the animal shelter to places where they would been seen and adopted.

I'm thinking a 20 to 30 foot trailer that we'd remove all the interior and put in cages that are double stacked down each side. We'd add windows down both sides. It would have to have A/C and I'd use my 8000 watt portable generator to power the A/C. I could unhook and park the truck with the generator some distance away so the noise was not right in everyone's face.

A old camper seems like the platform to start with since it would have tanks and some of the stuff we'd need already installed.

Your thoughts?
15 REPLIES 15

steveksfc
Explorer
Explorer
A gooseneck cargo trailer is probably what you need. Well built and you can add what is needed to board dogs for a trip. I see the Houston USPCA has one they had built with a treatment center in the front. They included heat and air so the animals can be kept comfortable while being transported. Definitely check with the humane societies and see what they have for ideas. I congratulate on your idea of helping animals in the different centers that need forever homes.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is a rescue in TX that rescues dogs from the border shelters and transports them after they are pre-adopted to various cities in the US . They have a heavy duty utility trailer( long one) and can transport somewhere between 50-75 dogs each trip. The kennels inside are double stacked and it's air conditioned. They have outdoor temp kennels that they unload the dogs into and stop for potty breaks. Each kennel has water and a blanket, toy etc. Very small dogs or puppies may be doubled up or maybe 4 to a larger kennel. It can be done, but an rv probably isnt the best choice. This rescue is TracyDogs out of San Antonio - soon moving to a new facility, I think in Hondo Tx. You could try contacting them for ideas.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Dog Trailershttp://www.jacksoncreekmfg.com/stainless-steel-dog-trailers.php

How about this

JimR

ps good luck with this I think it is a grand thing to do

westend
Explorer
Explorer
You would probably be time and expense ahead by starting with a flat deck trailer and building it to your specifications. You are going to run into major gut and rebuild issues with a travel trailer and it won't add much benefit in the end result.

Just off the top of my head--you'll need large water storage and food storage areas. A place to carry waste. Easy cleaning (and this might mean a floor decking that is impervious to water) where a hose and floor drain resides. You may wish to have a bathing sink where strays can be cleaned. In some cases you may wish to have a quarantine section where new-comers are housed until verified free from pests and disease. I would build with a total insulation system installed, something that is near impossible with an RV construction. You will want thick insulation and a vapor barrier to assist with HVAC and moisture. I can't imagine the amount of moisture from 40 animals but it is going to be huge. Large fans to transfer inside air.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
sure if the ride is NOT long but if you are doing very long travel situation I would get a 'real trailer' built for animal transportation.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Look at a used toy hauler and just add what you need to the garage area.

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
buy a fema trailer can get them cheap and will be easy to do what you want

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Many shelters now have these types of trailers. Why not do an Internet search and talk to some of them for ideas and suggestions?

That way you benefit from the mistakes of others.

You might even be able to find a grant to help with costs. Talk to Best Friends Animal Sanctuary if no one else.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

sgip2000
Explorer
Explorer
You could look for a toy hauler that has a built in generator too. That would also give you a ramp door for loading and unloading. Toy haulers are a bit more sturdy too as they're designed for more weight capacity.

F-TROUP
Explorer
Explorer
Most of these dogs have ridden in the animal control truck, no windows and very cramped, so at least your stepping up to get them a forever home. Your on the right track and just go for it. you might want to have someone pull you around while your in the trailer, that will give the direction you need to go in order to succeed. Good luck and thanks.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
rjxj wrote:
It may depend on the make and model but I always considered all of the interior walls and cabinets to be part of what is giving rigidity and holding this junk together.
X2, plus cutting windows in all down the sides would weaken it even more, might last till you made the first turn with it. :E
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
No, no, no. Use a heavy duty cargo trailer with air ride suspension. Have one more air conditioner than necessary, so if one quits for whatever reason, nothing will get too hot. Power each air conditioner with a separate generator. Each HVAC system will be independent. If you had just one system, a life threatening situation would occur if the A/C stopped. If traveling when the failure occurred, it would be too late before you knew it.

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
That could be a rough and dangerous ride for the animals. If you have a trailer ride a few blocks in it.
Then think about rough roads. Yes I know you will stay off rough roads. That is until you can't. Potholes, road construction.
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

jules6
Explorer
Explorer
This would be a very unpleasant ride for the animals. not a good idea.