cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

After all these years....

Okie_in_Wyoming
Explorer
Explorer
At the lake last weekend, one of our Yamaha generators was stolen!
In the middle of the night, a thief snuck into our campsite, disconnected our 2000I from the other 2000 and slunk off like the skunk that he/she was.
All around the lake, campers had generators sitting out, 90% of them not locked or chained. Everyone had done that for years, even when no one was in camp, out on the lake fishing or hiking or whatever, no one locked anything up. Never even had an ice cube stolen.
The gens were connected together and hooked up to the 5er! So disconnecting took him/her a while to do in the dark.
At 4:30 a.m., DH took our 2 dogs out, did a walk around and all was well. At 6:30 when DH got up and went outside, it was gone....
Police report filed, park ranger report was filed and insurance claim has been filed.
New generator has been shopped for.....
We saved a good while to purchase the generators, yet someone felt they had more right to it than our hard work warranted.
The park ranger said it had been so long since a theft had been reported that they couldn't even remember how long it was. And he was sorry to think that kind of behavior was starting up.....

Sigh..........
Smiles across the Miles
Darling Husband
2 Wonderful Dogs
And Me
2007 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab(Diesel)
2010 Cougar 276RLS
39 REPLIES 39

Okie_in_Wyoming
Explorer
Explorer
Marspec, they have changed Glendo drastically in the past 2 years! ONLY camping in designated sites. NO more just pulling off the road. Our favorite spot is now Day Use Only. And the best sites are reserved sites, and if you want them, you had best reserve EARLY!
It's sad to us as we always enjoyed being off by ourselves. It has changed how we feel about our favorite lake.
IMHO - It would not have been necessary if the park had enforced the rules already in place, instead of what they have done.

I hope your secret place is still there. I'll PM you and see.

Thanks, Okie
Smiles across the Miles
Darling Husband
2 Wonderful Dogs
And Me
2010 Cougar 276RLS

Caveman_Charlie
Explorer
Explorer
FoCoNoCo wrote:
RAS43 wrote:
ChopperBill wrote:
Probably came from No. Colo to steal it. Short drive to Glendo for these band of theives.

Yep, probably needed cash for "legal marajuana"!! :E

Or to buy meth in Greeley.....

Meth yes, for sure. That stuff seems to make people want to steal. Even if they have enough money they still for some reason they feel like stealing. Bad, Bad, Bad, stuff right there. The marijuana users are all too lazy to do that much work. lol There just setting around doing nothing all day long. Then eating lots of chips and going to sleep. lol Not defending anyone, or bashing anyone, just saying.

Pot makes you lazy. Meth makes you crazy.
1993 Cobra Sunrise, 20 foot Travel Trailer.

marspec
Explorer
Explorer
What do you chain the gens to??
2013 F450
Towing 2013 Lifestyle 37RESL

campn4walleye
Explorer
Explorer
That's unusual for Glendo. Unless things have changed, campers are spread out. They really had to have explored and planned the theft.

The military has taught us to ("trust no one). We lock and chain everything of value. Sorry for your trouble. Glendo was such a treasure.

PM me and I'll try to give you directions to a secret spot that people can only wonder how you got there. It was our own little hideaway.
2011 Adventurer 910FBS truck camper,Torklift tie downs,Fastguns & Wobbl-stopprs
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW 6.7L CTD,4x4,LB,CC,auto,3.73 axle,General 17" on/off rd
2008 Lund 1825 Explorer Sport,115 Merc,9.9 kicker,Torklift Super Hitch,42" Supertruss
USAF ret E-9&E-7

FoCoNoCo
Explorer
Explorer
RAS43 wrote:
ChopperBill wrote:
Probably came from No. Colo to steal it. Short drive to Glendo for these band of theives.

Or to buy meth in Greeley.....

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
Could be another camper eyed it and grabbed it on the way out. No one there to ask if they saw anything, once they're gone.
I don't like thinking like that but what we have seen, on recollection, of a couple of campgrounds around the holidays, welll, I dunno.

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
If they can see it, they can steal it. Keep it out of sight, when not in use.

robrose1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I never lock anything but I have been lucky. We travel with a big black Lab and are afraid to lock the RV when we are not there in case of emergency. Since most compartments have the same key I think locking those are futile. My friends have had bikes stolen at campgrounds.
Rob and Rose
2013 Winnebago Lite Five 29FWRLS
2006 GMC DURAMAX/ALLISON

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
ChopperBill wrote:

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
I have mine hidden and locked to immovable work bench in my garage. I hope a quick grabber steals the chainsaw or whatever appears to be worthwile to snatch.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

Okie_in_Wyoming
Explorer
Explorer
69 Avion, yes, we had all the info for the police report. I posted an update and though we still had to buy a new generator, we are covered for the replacement, minus our deductible.
We have thought about a motion sensor light, but DH said that would only give them the light to steal even more stuff! Would surprise them but we probably wouldn't see the light go on since we are at the other end of the 5er and sound asleep.....
Smiles across the Miles
Darling Husband
2 Wonderful Dogs
And Me
2010 Cougar 276RLS

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have the serial number for the police report?

Also, you may want to consider an outside LED light with a motion sensor. It will sure surprise them.
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1988 Avion Triple Axle Trailer
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

Caveman_Charlie
Explorer
Explorer
TOMMY47 wrote:
If police catch the person--maybe a misdemeanor and no jail. Very little risk. Biggest danger is getting caught in the act.

I wouldn't think so around here. Unless it's a young person, first offense, that made a mistake. Anything over 300 bucks can be a felony. Around here I would guess a fine, a 60 day sentence, that would be stayed if they make 5 years of probation. The probation would suck with monthly visits with the PO, And random UA's. This means the offender would not even be able to drink a beer for 5 years. No speeding tickets, no parking tickets, and you better be seen wearing nice clothes and being a good citizen.

If it was a young person and there first offense it would be different. Everybody makes mistakes where they are young. I'm glad the system gives first time offenders a chance to reform.
1993 Cobra Sunrise, 20 foot Travel Trailer.