cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

AHHH! Dropped my water tank!

Beltzy
Explorer
Explorer
So friday night i got my water filled and ready for a Dunes filled weekend... Pulled my hose and heard a loud boom! Went over to look under the trailer and the belly was bowed way down. first thing first was to dump all 90 gallons of water in the street and pace in circles thinking about the trip being over before it started the "how much is this gonna cost". I got the water drained and cut into the belly to find my water tank dropped off the angle bracked it sits in. Upon further investigation i found the bracket moved back because of two self tapping screws that held it were broken, and not freshly broken. Like maybe broken when it was assembled. Long story short i pulled the two broken screws out and replaced then with some good ole grade 8 bolts n nuts, put the bracked back and the tank back up. I filled it with water and we were off in the AM thankfully no problems. Glad it was an easy fix. I used gorilla tape to close belly the cover, anyone ever had to cut into the belly of their camper? and what did you use to reseal it?
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 32BHDS
2011 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax LTZ
26 REPLIES 26

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
Gorilla tape will probably do. I would not attempt to change it, since it's already there, but do keep an eye on it and if it does start to come off, then go to plan "B".

FYI, I never travel with water in my fresh tank for the very reason you just described. There's a lot of weight in those tanks, and then you add all the bumping up and down and water movement inside the tank, and ... well ... I've just never had confidence to travel with full tanks. Moving around the campground, no problem, 5, 10 mph, but at highway speeds, and highway bumps, and highway chuck holes and railroad tracks and such ... nah, not comfortable at all.

For longer trips, we take a separate 6 gallon jug of water for on-the road usage, and keep the tanks as empty as possible.

X2. I travel with all 3 holding tanks empty, except a minimal amount in the fresh water tank for usage on the road. I refill at my next location. I do understand that those who are traveling to a dry camping location may need to travel with water.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
bobx2 wrote:
You guys that are afraid to haul water crack me up. Where I camp, you fill up at the house, or you do without. That's just dumb. Fill it up and go.

You are absolutely correct. The problem is that many trailers are built so poorly that experienced owners have had many failures over the years. I would check my water tank and reinforce it before I got stranded out somewhere where I couldn't fix it.

It is crazy not to be able to fill up before you head out on a trip. In most places where I go, if I don't take water, I don't have water.
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1988 Avion Triple Axle Trailer
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
For belly repair try Nasha Deluxe Flashing Tape to seal the cut. It's 7" wide and has a rubbery texture. Lowes or HD has it. Clean your bottom first. Fifth wheels bottom for those that need detailed instructions.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

Happy_Prospecto
Explorer
Explorer
When I cut into my underbelly, I repaired it by punching some small holes down the cut line on each side of the cut every 3 or 4 inches then tying then together with zip ties along the cut. After trimming the ties I sealed the cut with silicon.
Kevin
Retired, Fulltime RV'er, 1999.5 F350 4X4 CC Diesel Flatbed
2007 Alpenlite Defender Toyhauler, 2019 Polaris Ranger
Bob, the Yorkie Terrier helping me prospect til the money runs out

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
I vaccum laminated floor, 30 gallons on top, not scared at all. Just sloshes out going down the road and freaking leaks at the vent/potable fitting. splash leak, repeat, get to site with a flood under the dinette and fridge with 10 gallons in the tank. fk it!
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

bobx2
Explorer
Explorer
You guys that are afraid to haul water crack me up. Where I camp, you fill up at the house, or you do without. That's just dumb. Fill it up and go.
Becky, Bob, Taylie and Bode
2009 Silverado Duramax/Allison
2014 Heartland Sundance XLT 245RL
2015 Polaris Sportsman 570 Touring - Mine
2015 Polaris Sportsman 570 Touring - Wifes

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our first one the tank popped out. Dealer put in a length of Chanel iron. I did one better and got in there and secured a 2x4 on edge on the end of the tank opposite of the water outlet to the pump and put a series of boards to make it slope towards the pump. Never could get the last 5-10 gallons out. That fixed that problem.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
im leary to haul any water with our hybrid. Sloshes out, leaks at vent/potable port, and sits on a composite floor.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Homer wrote:
plus the cost of hauling H2O around, why do it?

What cost? My rig weights in at 14,500 pounds. With 50 gallons of fresh water, that's another 400 or so pounds. I'm not going to see a difference in MPG when it comes to that.

Heck, when I weighed my rig at 13,500 pounds and added the other 1,000 of stuff (water included), I didn't see any noticeable difference in MPGs and I hand-calculate almost every fill up with notes as to what was towing and what wasn't.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

aruba5er
Explorer
Explorer
I cut into the underbelly for various reasons, once to install Sealevel sensors ( no more guessing at how full or empty the tanks are) but I stiched the wound up with zip ties. A hole on each side of the cut, insert the tie wrap , bring it into the second hole and tighten. Has worked for years.

Go_Dogs
Explorer
Explorer
Luke Porter wrote:
If they weren't built to haul the water, there would be all kinds of warning stickers and stuff. Same thing with the waste tanks. What's the sense of having the tanks if you can't move with something in them---hello??

I agree, they SHOULD be able to tote as much water as the tanks will hold. Otherwise, there should either be smaller holding tanks, or warnings to not haul water. I think some manufacturers figure that the mounting hardware only has to last one day longer than the warranty.

DustyR
Explorer
Explorer
Francesca Knowles wrote:
My achin' head...a year old rig that probably cost close to thirty thousand dollars, and the water tank falls out. The only bright spot here is that it didn't happen on the freeway.

X2 I have traveled with full tanks, only out of necessity.
2016 Open Range 319RLS
Tow Vehicle: 2008 Silverado 2500 HD
Duramax, Allison Transmission.

whiteeye42
Explorer
Explorer
the tape will hold for a little while then come loose what you need to do is go to your dealer and get another piece of the underbelly and then you attach it using RTV silicone and small self tapping screws just long enough to go thru both pieces of the underbelly that is how the factory told me how to fix mine when i had to cut into it
Me,Wife two boys and two dogs
2008 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4 DRW 6.7 cummins
2008 Jayco Eagle 341 RLQS 37' with B&W turnover ball & companion hitch
using rotochoks
add state map

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
My achin' head...a year old rig that probably cost close to thirty thousand dollars, and the water tank falls out. The only bright spot here is that it didn't happen on the freeway.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien