cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Air Conditioner Issue

MTHome
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2015 Heartland 26LRSS. It has 1 air unit. It was working fine this morning. We arrived at our campsite for the day, turned it on, and it ran fine. After about 30 minutes, it clicked off. I thought it was weird because we weren't cooled off yet. Sure enough it looked like the power had maybe browned out. We flipped the switch and it started up just fine. After 2 repeats at about 30 min. intervals. I ran out and got a surge protector. We needed one anyway. Turned off all the power, hooked it up, and tried again.

This time the air didn't come back on at all. The fan would run but the air wouldn't. We replaced the fuse. Still no air. We did discover that it will run on the non-auto setting. But if you try to change anything on the thermostat, it shuts off again.

Any ideas as to what the issue might be? We're full-timing and it's supposed to get hot again this weekend in Wyoming and Montana.
9 REPLIES 9

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
GMandJM wrote:
ScottG wrote:
You need a more expensive autoformer based device for that.

Wait..what does "autoformer based" mean? (I learn new stuff here daily!)

An autoformer is a bit of fairly old technology that some electrical safeguard systems use to boost the voltage when it drops too low.
I don't own such a system but others here can recommend better brands.

I know what an autoformer is and have looked into them. I don't really understand the science behind them well enough to make them make sense. They seem like smoke and mirrors to me so I must be missing or misunderstanding something somewhere.

Having never heard of an "autoformer based" low voltage protection system, you got my attention. ๐Ÿ™‚

Thank you.
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
MitchF150 wrote:
Get a volt meter and check the volts at one of your outlets when the A/C is running. If it's below 105v, that's not good and really nothing you can do about it because the camps electric grid is being maxed out..
Mitch

Without knowing the voltage while this is happening, we are guessing and the best guess is that the CG has low voltage. If it is low voltage (below 106-108) you need to move to a site closer to the transformer for your section of the CG. The closer to the power source the higher the voltage. In addition to a simple volt meter I would get one of these so you can monitor the voltage. My EMS shuts my rig down when the voltage gets below 108V.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Get a volt meter and check the volts at one of your outlets when the A/C is running. If it's below 105v, that's not good and really nothing you can do about it because the camps electric grid is being maxed out..

If you are getting above that voltage, it could be your rig itself? Could be the A/C unit or how it's wired?

Good luck!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of heat = lots of RVs using a lot of amps is causing brownouts in Parks. I have had a few issues also, always during the day though and when cg is full.
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
GMandJM wrote:
ScottG wrote:

An autoformer is a bit of fairly old technology that some electrical safeguard systems use to boost the voltage when it drops too low.
I don't own such a system but others here can recommend better brands.

MTHome
Explorer
Explorer
We have a slider not a plus minus type unit. We tried again to switch it from just running to the auto function. It worked on low but cut out again on high. Adjusting the temp does nothing to turn it back on.

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:

G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
try resending the thermostat push the fan to auto then push mode and the plus button at the same time

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Keep in mind that a common surge protector will not give any protection against "brown-outs".