cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Air conditioning on a small generator

Spanishstroll
Explorer
Explorer
A typical 13500 RV roof unit draws around 13.5 running amps with approximately 70 'locked rotor amps' in the first second. This is what prevents their ability to run on a small 2000 watt generator.
Restarting within five minutes after the unit shuts off is also a problem since the pressure in the system needs to equalize before restarting.
The new inverter technology is readibly available in residential units. With the innverter system there is no 'locked rotor amp' surge since the compressor gradually ramps up to speed. The running amps are signifcantly reduced, for example the Super Air 12000 btu unit starts up at 1 amp and gradually ramps to a peak of 6.9! As the temp comes down to the set point the compressor gradually reduces its speed (and amp draw) rather than shutting off.
This not only gives more stable control but eliminates the restart problem, but then thats already been eliminated by the soft starting feature.
Why are we stuck with ancient technology in our rv roof units when we could easily be cooling them with a small 2000 watt generator with power to spare. The company to produce this will surely take over the RV market overnight
So my question - does anyone know of a company planning to offer a rooftop inverter air conditioner?
15 REPLIES 15

Not sure why we are so behind? My relatives in Japan all have residential Mitsubishi AC using this technology for as long as I can remember. Though more expensive as they are designed for individual room(s) use, and not whole house per se. Cost must play some kind of factor whether the market is willing to pay a premium?