cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Airbags needed for F350 with light 5'er?

Houstonkid
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone towing a relatively light 5er with an F350 SRW w/out airbags?
My 5er weighs roughly 11K pounds and has a pin weight probably around 2k or just north of that. My TV is a '12 F250 4x4 diesel.

My F250 needed airbags solely to cure squatting. I am thinking of trading for an F350 in a few months and was wondering if I will need airbags again.
26 REPLIES 26

calewjohnson
Explorer
Explorer
My pin weight is 3.8k lbs...with my 100 gallon transfer tank I have a little over 4.5k lbs in the bed. I chose Timbrens this time around, vice air bags like my old truck. I can say without a doubt, I really like them. Zero maintenance and zero adjustment. Ride when unloaded is stock and the ride when fully loaded is very comfortable.

Cale
TV: 2015 6.7 F350 CC LB 4x4 DRW with 14k GVWR option (4.3 gear), 98 gallon aux tank installed by Transfer Flow
New: 2014 Voltage 3950
Traded: 2014 Outback 323BH
Still Have: 2007 Fleetwood Nitrous 23ft Toy Hauler

Houstonkid
Explorer
Explorer
Travlingman wrote:
If it was me, when I traded trucks I would make the dealer put the air bags on the new F-350. This way in the future if you go for a heavier rig you wouldn't have to buy them again.

Actually I thought about that. I plan to call the hitch place that installed them for a quote to remove/reinstall. Thank you for the reply.

Travlingman
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it was me, when I traded trucks I would make the dealer put the air bags on the new F-350. This way in the future if you go for a heavier rig you wouldn't have to buy them again.
2017 F-350 King Ranch DRW
2014 Landmark Savannah(sold)
2022 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4

azchuckmo
Explorer
Explorer
Yes I am have a 2015 F 350 and pull a 29.5 ft keystone Montana, and pulled it with a 2011 F 350 without any issues.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Houstonkid wrote:
rhagfo wrote:

Sounds like they were trying to make it too much like a F150! :B :S

Funny and sad at the same time.....I bought a 3/4ton truck to do a job, a job within the truck's specs but yet I had to beef up my truck.

I did also, 2500 with a Camper Package, so it is really a 2001 SRW 3500, which was NOT available until 2003. :B

Yes, tends to be a bit on the stiff side, but I bought it to carry a load, not ride like a Cadillac, or Lincoln!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Houstonkid
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:

Funny and sad at the same time.....I bought a 3/4ton truck to do a job, a job within the truck's specs but yet I had to beef up my truck.

Houstonkid
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again for all of the input guys.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
N-Trouble wrote:
Believe it was in 2011 when they went to the 6.7 motor. Guys with older F250s that upgraded had issues with the new trucks squatting much more than the older trucks. Ford did this to improve unloaded ride.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Believe it was in 2011 when they went to the 6.7 motor. Guys with older F250s that upgraded had issues with the new trucks squatting much more than the older trucks. Ford did this to improve unloaded ride.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

Houstonkid
Explorer
Explorer
N-Trouble wrote:
Believe Ford went to a softer spring pack in the F250 a few years ago and they squat almost as bad as a 1/2 ton when loaded.

That is kind of what I gathered with my limited research...It is strictly a Ford issue.

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Believe Ford went to a softer spring pack in the F250 a few years ago and they squat almost as bad as a 1/2 ton when loaded.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

Drew_K
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
My F250 needed airbags solely to cure squatting. I am thinking of trading for an F350 in a few months and was wondering if I will need airbags again.

The only difference in your '12 F250 and a F350 SRW is a heavier rear spring pack (7000 lb vs 6100 lb). The rest of the truck has the same mechanical specs per Fleet Ford.
The SRW does come with higher rated 18"/20" wheels and tires. Your F250 may have the same optional 18"/20" package.

Now if your just wanting a new truck then yeah your F250 is a danger to everyone on the road and ....... :B.

Air bags/Supersprings/Timbrens/or add another leaf in the pack will get you the same load carrying capabilities as the SRW truck. Thats a whole lot cheaper than a new truck.

Another F350 to F250 difference is that your F250 probably didn't have overload springs whereas F350's do. The overloads only engage when the rear is compressed a certain amount.
2013 F250 CC 4x4 Diesel
2014 Open Range Roamer Travel Trailer RT316RLS

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
My guess is that pin is more than 2000lbs. My 12 2500 with 1800lbs on it barely goes down 2", which still leaves the rear 1" higher than the front. I cant imagine another 200lbs sagging my rear another 2+".

Houstonkid
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
That's very surprising that your truck did "SQUAT" that much with such a light load.

That is my thoughts exactly. I have had others tell me their light unit makes their 250 squat also.