Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Alberta Canadian Camping reservation Secrets for Americuns

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
As opposed to Norte Americanos.

I cannot speak for other provinces, but living in MT, you learn a few Top secret things from Canadians visiting Costco's below their border, like... Kananaskis country in Alberta is like Banff and Glacier without the people and ALL the scenery include boatloads of grizzly's.

The Albertans actually voted against development in Kananaskis country as a political body. Imagine that if you can. I am thinking the development interests did not have the advantage of Americun Mad Men. Poor creatures that they are. Golf courses and condos are anathema, and legally not allowed in Kananaskis country. I realize the dissonance this might cause among some people in the U.S. severe distress but it is the truth. They prefer wilderness and wildness over development. Ok, not in all cases, and they appear more than willing to rip oil out of sand and shale, but they appear to draw lines in different places than US. Do not be distressed however, they still accept credit cards, however, I must note, are quite confused by our lack of digital protections...

Anyway, these foreign creatures from the north have holidays of their own that do NOT directly correlate with ours. I admit to not completely understanding but am vaguely aware that there is a world outside of our borders. In particular and of interest NOW, NOW NOW! for Americuns is July 4th. Read on oh, shorts and T shirt wearing, loud creatures of the mid latitudes...

Yes, they are foreigners and I hope certain political factions within the United States do not fully realize this fact. That would be a **** long wall and I am afraid the Canadians would willingly build it at this point in time and pay for it. So, take advantage now of the disparities that exist between the two countries other than politeness and rather bizarro world like politics.

Anyway, The Canadians have certain weekends they call Long Weekends. Apparently beer and relaxation are involved in these periods of times. As anyone who has visited a beer store knows (mostly east of Alberta), the Canadians are quite capable of making very tastable malt beverages. Of course since President Carter Americuns have come on strong in this respect to put those hosers in their place. Oh, I apologize for any perception of insult.

NOW, if your are perspicacious, and are trying desperately to find a place to camp during the week of July 4th, 2016 or any other 4th, realize that, the Canadian long weekends for whatever they call a holiday ENDS on July fourth. They all go home to recover and work their 32 hour work weeks and we Americuns can invade their campgrounds if we are quick enough. They are not stupid people and one should never confuse politeness with stupidity although many Americuns tend to do so.

So, for those of you who are close enough to take advantage of the geographical proximity of the great white north, I strongly suggest you explore the Canadian provinces north of you. They are quite vulnerable to an Americun invasion right after long weekends and we can achieve a tactical advantage, although I would suggest you do not pay any attention to the historical nature of any such assumptions. The lessons of the war of 1812 no longer applies in a nuclear age. We do have escalation dominance with the equivalent lack of maturity. One should not attempt to comtemplate such things regularly after certain high gravity malt beverages. As you can see, I am well acquainted with such beverages.

Anyway, opportunity is extant at http://www.albertaparks.ca/ for those in the western part of the continent. Be aware Americuns, it is difficult to figure out what anything costs up there in the great white north, but you will be pleasantly surprised once your credit card company sends you a bill.

Do not be surprised if you cannot find enough of their odd currency in your pockets based upon loud birds from what I can tell, to pay your bill, as they will tell you to take care of it next time you come up (true experience at a Canadian Sub shop). They are truly strange creatures...but then again they think we are somewhat out of the norm. I cannot imagine why and cannot disagree.
30 REPLIES 30

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
bradyk wrote:
The funny part is the passport etc. is not for us but so they let you back in your own country. Without it you may be told to stay and become one of us. LOL......

CavemanCharlie wrote:
I've thought about taking a trip to Manitoba this summer. It's only about 10 hours north of me. If I could get a 4.5 day weekend off from work I might do it. Problem is I would need a passport and I don't have one. I have heard that I can get one at the local courthouse on Thursday mornings from 9-12 but, I rarely ever drive the 20 miles to the town the courthouse is in during that time period.

I'm also afraid of what might happen when I try to cross the boarder. Are they going to frisk me ? Do a body cavity search ? Rip apart my pickup and travel trailer ? Beat me up ? I've never met a Canidiean before and I don't know how they will act when a 52 year old working class person in a 10 year old pickup and 20 year old TT try to cross the boarder.

Don't tempt me. If I do make the trip is will be partly exploratory. I don't know how many more years I can stay in this house and job. I hate to leave my family and friends are here but, I may not have a choice.

rupprider
Explorer
Explorer
Kavoom--the OP, lost me at the word --"perspicacious". And, I youed to be a profredder!LOL

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
H Kavoom - no deal breaker - I seldom put gravy on my fries. An ore dair of poutine is different... gravy, cheese curds, mmm

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
LOL to the posts. I would tend to agree to the smiles as you enter Canada and the frowns upon return to the U.S. I see they are going to re-open the golf course in Kananaskis country. Last time I was there, that was still up in the air. Oh, and that huge flood that took everything out in the first place and even flooded Calgary... No one down here ever heard of it. There are more people in Calgary than in Montana. It is the closest Big City from Helena MT my area. I did some flight cost checks and I can go up there, stay overnight, eat a hearty meal and fly somewhere back in the U.S. cheaper than from Helena MT. Food for thought...

I love that Rip video great. So, Let me get this right. Is someone saying that IF I forget my passport and enter Canada that they US will not let me back in? Is this supposed to be a threat? You mean I will be forced to live up there with inexpensive healthcare (hospital bills largest cause of bankruptcy in US), an exchange rate that is highly favorable to my bank accounts and have to suffer the company of polite humans? I will refuse to put gravy on my fries. Is that a deal breaker? Perhaps I will wait to see after November of this year...

bradyk
Explorer
Explorer
The funny part is the passport etc. is not for us but so they let you back in your own country. Without it you may be told to stay and become one of us. LOL......

CavemanCharlie wrote:
I've thought about taking a trip to Manitoba this summer. It's only about 10 hours north of me. If I could get a 4.5 day weekend off from work I might do it. Problem is I would need a passport and I don't have one. I have heard that I can get one at the local courthouse on Thursday mornings from 9-12 but, I rarely ever drive the 20 miles to the town the courthouse is in during that time period.

I'm also afraid of what might happen when I try to cross the boarder. Are they going to frisk me ? Do a body cavity search ? Rip apart my pickup and travel trailer ? Beat me up ? I've never met a Canidiean before and I don't know how they will act when a 52 year old working class person in a 10 year old pickup and 20 year old TT try to cross the boarder.
2001 Chevrolet 2500hd Silverado LT 4x4 6.0L/4.10
2005 KZ Outdoorsmen 2605PF
Equal-i-zer 10K WDH
Champion 4000W Generator
Champion 2000W Generator x 2
Ken & Sandra
Yugi Dog, Jet Dog

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
Several years ago, I crossed the border into Canada at Sweetgrass, MT. on my way to Alaska. But I had applied for and received a full passport from the local American Express office at home, along with a list of things I couldn't take with me (like hand guns) and $500 Canadian dollars. Away from the border, Canadians won't know the exchange rate any more than I would know it in Cincinnati, Ohio where I live.
A hint if you decide to go. If the border guard asks you a question, he already knows the answer, so don't lie. He asked me if I'd ever been fingerprinted. I said probably when I joined the Navy years before, but I couldn't remember. My fingerprints were in the passport. DUH.
When entering Alaska, re-entering Canada and the U.S on the way home, I was waved on thru and wondered why until I realized that I had Ohio license plates front and rear.
The biggest thrill was seeing all of Mt. McKinley (Denali). Normally, the peak is shrouded in clouds, but not the day that I went by. I got some great pictures.
BTW, Starbucks is everywhere. In Canada, it was Tim Horton's when I drove thru Canada years ago, but its been gobbled up by Starbucks now.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

DaveG39
Explorer
Explorer
Have been to Canada many times. Always treated with courtesy and a smile from the Canadian customs at borders. Wish I could say the same for the US customs folks coming home. Great country up there.
2007 TropiCal LX towing 2012 Honda
CRV, Goleta, CA

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
vic46 wrote:
CavemanCharlie wrote:

I truly hope this was an attempt at humour!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was. ๐Ÿ™‚

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
C'mon up and visit...

Byrogie
Explorer
Explorer
gmckenzie wrote:
Byrogie wrote:
3rd Monday in February is Family Day in Alberta and a couple more provinces.
A week earlier in B.C. Don't know why..

Because our provincial politicians are a bunch of idiots.

We have the same now in Alberta....

Byrogie
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
New Canadian National Anthem released: Out For a Rip
(maybe NSFW)

Good ol' boys makin' noise....

Byrogie
Explorer
Explorer
Boon Docker wrote:
CavemanCharlie wrote:

Come on up ! We accept hillbillies and rednecks with open arms the same as any other human being. :B
If you do go to Manitoba be sure to bring a fishing rod, "The Land of a 100,000 Lakes"

You don't need a passport to come into Canada. You need one to get back in to U.S. You could claim refugee status once you are here. No problem, we will pay for your camping fees and food as well...

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
We have visited our good neighbors to the north numerous times. We have never had any issues crossing north or coming south.
People that have issues many times bring it on themselves.
The Canadian and provincial parks are well cared for.
Yes, Canada does have holidays, same as here in the US. Some are not on the same date as here.
Those who have not been to any part of Canada needs to visit.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

westend
Explorer
Explorer
New Canadian National Anthem released: Out For a Rip
(maybe NSFW)
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton