cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Amazing apps that alert me to rain and ligtning

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
A few months ago I found a great app for my iphone called "Dark Sky" that alerts me when it's about to rain. My experience with it so far has been remarkably good. I'd say it's about 60% - 75% accurate. It has a nice alert jingle and gives me time to bring in chairs, awnings, etc. It also tells me when it should stop raining and it's hyper local.

Recently, I found another good app by weather underground called "Storm" that alerts me when rain is in my area and also lightning. This new app has a great storm tracking radar that projects the storms into the future. It's my new favorite app.

I also noticed that the Weather Channel's app does something similar but I haven't had great luck with it so far.
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`
66 REPLIES 66

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
My phone came with a weather Widget, same as the last one. Right now it is telling me there is a bad storm rising (Severe T-Storm) but then..Im in S.E. GA, WHAT ELSE IS NEWS.. We have had one of those dang near every day this month and last as well.

Am I taking precautions... Just the normal stuff when the storm gets here I will M-Ping the weather service and shut off one radio.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Horizon170 wrote:
Jeff, you write some wonderful things on this forum and I'm just expressing another viewpoint. We are at a stage in the 21st century that we rely on others to take care of us through the Media. I,too, use this info at times but I also let my common sense dictate my actions.
I respect you too much to argue----just giving my opinion on relying on others. I'm a good listener but also a survivor.

To the other poster---Dad used a tent and I don't have a clue if Gramps ever camped. He passed away when I was 4 years old at around 90 years old.

Have a super day tomorrow folks.
There are allot of things in this world that have been over engineered to the point of ridiculousness, but the science of weather sure isnt one of them. Being on the west coast all we really worry about are earthquakes (cept in a good el nino year), but spending close to the last 15 years in the midwest on business and in places i sure dont to be around with lightening, like 2000' towers, these apps that connect to NWS as well as local TV station radar has changed peoples lives completely.

If you dont want to deal with a smart phone, buy a SAME EAS radio. I just cant see shunning technology that can save thousands of lives who otherwise would never have known about
the issuance of one alert that 10 years ago would take hours to hit the same amount of people that now get it in .5 sec.

(Edit iphone spelling)
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
holstein13 wrote:
filthy beast wrote:
Belgique wrote:
I can't find either one in the Play Store and I'm usually pretty good with this stuff. Guess I'll go old school like some have suggested and just send the Lab outside and see if he comes back wet.

Here's the Storm app for android, I believe it is free.

Storm app
That is definitely not it. Looks like the same name, but it's not from the Weather Undergound and doesn't look like my app.
Doesnt look like its from this country either
Jeff - WA6EQU

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
Horizon170 wrote:

Me too, I use a hanging rock and mirror. ๐Ÿ™‚
If I ever need any electronic device to keep me safe, then I shouldn't go RV'ing. People spend way too many hours staring at these devices. Take time to smell the roses folks---you will have a much more harmonious outcome.
That's a great point and I completely understand what you are saying. Nobody really "needs" these devices.

But I want you to know that having these apps on my phone allows me to look at my phone LESS than before, not more. I run them in the background and don't give it a second thought. In addition, I no longer watch TV. No TV at all. Therefore, I spend much more time smelling roses and other such things as ever before.

Don't look at these devices as a crutch, look at them as a way to reclaim some lost time from television or other media. If you have a smart phone, there is simply no reason not to take advantage of these fine programs. Sometimes, it's helpful to know when it will stop raining. There is NO other way to do that other than these programs.
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
Jeff, you write some wonderful things on this forum and I'm just expressing another viewpoint. We are at a stage in the 21st century that we rely on others to take care of us through the Media. I,too, use this info at times but I also let my common sense dictate my actions.
I respect you too much to argue----just giving my opinion on relying on others. I'm a good listener but also a survivor.

To the other poster---Dad used a tent and I don't have a clue if Gramps ever camped. He passed away when I was 4 years old at around 90 years old.

Have a super day tomorrow folks.
Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Horizon170 wrote:
SCVJeff wrote:
o brother..
Maybe you should turn on the electronic device called a TV, or simply go to the library and research how many hundreds of thousands have been killed by flash floods, tornadoes, and hurricanes that they NEVER knew they were coming, and it happens darn near every year in a CG somewhere too. It's pretty obvious why: They didn't know. So have yourself a good time refusing to let any electronic device protect you. I suggest when you see folks heading in the other direction you consider doing the same.

I protect myself the same as my Father (1889-1979) and his Father before him. Use common sense and use your survival instincts if you have any. If you feel safe with these devices, fine, but I depend on my knowledge, not someone else who may be miles away.
So you're smarter than anyone else ever caught in all the weather phenomenon that have been killing people since the beginning of time? You can't convince me that your dad, if there was electricity and a radio in the house didn't pay attention to weather reports when the nasty stuff blew through.

I wish I had that foresight... Like I said, pay attention to which direction people are running to since you will have no idea why, and follow them.
Jeff - WA6EQU

cmcdar
Explorer
Explorer
Horizon170 wrote:
SCVJeff wrote:
o brother..
Maybe you should turn on the electronic device called a TV, or simply go to the library and research how many hundreds of thousands have been killed by flash floods, tornadoes, and hurricanes that they NEVER knew they were coming, and it happens darn near every year in a CG somewhere too. It's pretty obvious why: They didn't know. So have yourself a good time refusing to let any electronic device protect you. I suggest when you see folks heading in the other direction you consider doing the same.

I protect myself the same as my Father (1889-1979) and his Father before him. Use common sense and use your survival instincts if you have any. If you feel safe with these devices, fine, but I depend on my knowledge, not someone else who may be miles away.

What kind of RVs did your father and grandfather drive?
HTT: 2007 R-Vision Trail Cruiser c191
TV: 2010 Nissan Titan Pro4X Crew Cab

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
SCVJeff wrote:
o brother..

Marvin

1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
o brother..
Jeff - WA6EQU

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
I'm just to 'old school' for this........................

Me too, I use a hanging rock and mirror. ๐Ÿ™‚
If I ever need any electronic device to keep me safe, then I shouldn't go RV'ing. People spend way too many hours staring at these devices. Take time to smell the roses folks---you will have a much more harmonious outcome.
Marvin

1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
CavemanCharlie wrote:
Oh god, my android gives me ad, after ad, every time I need to use it. Good Luck getting that thing to work in a emergency. Takes me over a minute just to get past the ad's
Are you using free apps?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
SCVJeff wrote:
Then pony up a few bux to remove the ad's and support the guys writing this software, you are their only income.

Ive upgraded all of my most used weather apps for that reason.

Huh ?

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Then pony up a few bux to remove the ad's and support the guys writing this software, you are their only income.

Ive upgraded all of my most used weather apps for that reason.
Jeff - WA6EQU

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
cmcdar wrote:
SCVJeff wrote:
I drove across the desert to Las Vegas this afternoon into a group of thunderheads starting around Barstow. Not only did Weather Radio wake up to the EAS FFW's being issued, but it was faster response than Storm, Intellicast, ABCLA, and several others running in GPS Follow Me mode. The only service to beat Weather Radio was the built-in EAS Emergency Alerts built into the phones. It was probably 10 seconds ahead of even Weather Radio.

And when I arrived in town.. Downpour, flooded streets, great light show, and more coming from the east. The FFW's were being issued about every 30min all afternoon.

If possible, I want the option of pulling off the road and finding a place to ride out the storm. I DON"T want to just have to pull to the side of the highway because I can't see to drive. THAT is a very dangerous place to be.

I LOVE this new2 cell phone technology! I, just a few weeks ago, discarded my old clamshell and upgraded to an android JUST to be able to utilize the apps and early warning.

Oh god, my android gives me ad, after ad, every time I need to use it. Good Luck getting that thing to work in a emergency. Takes me over a minute just to get past the ad's