cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Annoying lights at night... well.....

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
OK, returned home just fine from a 1600 mile round trip to Lake Briun State Park, Louisiana. By the way, this is one really nice State Park.

So, you know those annoying lights that people turn on at night and you just wish you could take a shot gun and blow them out? Well ... that didn't happen! No annoying lights at night at all this time. It was great!

But, my 5er has those annoying lights on the front, and normally leave them off, unless we are actually right there needing them for something. I don't completely understand why RV manufacturers are putting Las Vegas style lights on the front caps anyway. But, it is what it is, right?

So, I had opportunity to experiment with those lights. BUT ... NOT at the campground. While enroute! We very seldom travel after dark, but not this time. Daylight hours are just too short and we got caught in the dark on the road several times on this trip. So, I found a new use for those Las Vegas lights. It was absolutely awesome when I turned them on!

Yea, not at the park, on the road! I've seen semi-trucks all dazzled out with lights, so I though, WHY NOT? The amber color is almost a perfect match to the yellow running lights.

So, finally I found a way to turn on those annoying lights and end up not annoying anyone!
29 REPLIES 29

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
If they are Amber and not to bright that's great. Just make sure that you are not blinding oncoming drivers.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
romore wrote:
I use a flashlight.

Thank You

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Must be the old boater in me but I hate night vision killing excessive lighting such as the LED lights people insist on leaving on.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

packnrat
Explorer
Explorer
who needs all them lights.
you can be too bright going down the hwy. older eyes do not like having to look at it coming at them. heck i cover the dash on the new rigs at work as the dash light do not dim out.
2006 F250 4X4 auto 6.0 short bed
2001 sunnybrook 24 ft
1984 cj7 built up a bit
kg6tgu
never too many toys, just not enought room to keep them
one dog who belives she is the master. rip 12 12 2007
12 loving years and loyal to the end.
just out having fun

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Nutinelse2do wrote:
Looks like a semi coming down the road. Like the amber, and actually have a purpose for traveling with them on. Anything to make you more visible after dark is beneficial.

The purple and blue that are the new rage are quite annoying. Guess people are afraid of the dark.

Even with the short days now, have to be parked before sun down. Eyes donโ€™t work too well anymore.

Hope you had a fun trip and made more great memories!

Better be careful running any blue, many states blue is law enforcement only and can get you ticketed.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
I don't mind their use in the evening if they aren't too bright. They can even be a 'trail marker' for me to find my way back at night from the bath house in a new CG. But be considerate of your neighbors and turn them off when you go to bed.

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use a flashlight.

bid_time
Nomad II
Nomad II
gbopp wrote:
wa8yxm wrote:
But the scare lights... SOme folks leave 'em on all night.

Probably because they're scared of the dark. I've never understood why some people try to make their campsite look like the Las Vegas strip.
Fear of the dark is the only logical reason that comes to mind.
So I don't trip over something in the dark and get injured. Been there, done that, got the tee shirt. Doing it a second time would be seriously stupid of me.

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
I don't think those are annoying at all, since they seem to be the correct color. As long as they don't glare in your own rear view mirror, the lower ones will not cause you any problems.

I like to be very visible at night, especially on the "dark desert highway" we have out here. I actually added cab clearance lights to my F250 myself, even though they are only required on the F350 and up.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Clicck wrote:
The LED lighting is to dazzle the buyer enough so they don't look at the important stuff.

BINGO! Can't see the point in them & yes, in a CG they are annoying in the worst way.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
But the scare lights... SOme folks leave 'em on all night.

Probably because they're scared of the dark. I've never understood why some people try to make their campsite look like the Las Vegas strip.
Fear of the dark is the only logical reason that comes to mind.

Eric_Lisa
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think the correct term is 'Chicken Lights'.

-Eric
Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
cops are not going to bother anyone for amber lights on the front or sides.

RayJayco
Explorer
Explorer
There was a time that they were called clearance lights on front and were required depending upon size, weight, etc., and marker lights on the sides, again required depending... I believe that most, if not all states have regulations that may require a minimum depending, again on size, weight, etc...

Don't know about other states, however in FL any blue light on a vehicle is illegal and will get you cited for impersonating a police. I know of a few people that this happened to...

Glad that you had a good and safe trip!
Inquiring minds want to know...