cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone have any updates on their Carlisle Radial Trail HD's?

rsaylor3
Explorer
Explorer
Am replacing my tires and moving from load range D to E. Want the extra buffer. I also notice that my trailer tends to lean toward the one side making me think that side is supporting more of the weight anyway.

I was looking at Maxxis as well but I like the idea of the Carlisle's being a newer design as well as my Carlisle Radial Trail RH tires on my boat trailer have been on there almost 5 years without a problem at all.

I would love to hear from people that have the HD's and hear what their experiences are. Please do your best to not tell me about your old Carlisle from years ago that was ****:)

Thanks in advance for your replies!
47 REPLIES 47

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Good reports so far on the new tires. Maybe those that don't know what we are talking about will look at the link ๐Ÿ˜‰
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
DSteiner51 wrote:
CKNSLS wrote:
msjdbman wrote:
Well, I sure hope that everyone has good luck with these new tires from Carlisle, but I'll never spend another dime on them. I spent extra money on a set of ST235/85/R16 Load range F tires just five years ago, hoping that the increased capacity would be beneficial. Tread still looks brand new, sidewalls like new, no weather checking at all, but internal belts let go on 3 of the 4 allowing the outer circumference to swell by over 2 additional inches. They have now all been replaced with LT tires. These were on my gooseneck, not my fiver, but I never overloaded them at all. So good luck to you all!

Those tires were on your trailer too long. Period. The weather doesn't matter. You get UV rays even when it's cloudy.

Sorry, very poor excuse. My tires on my fifth wheel were on for 12 years and approx 50k miles and only replaced before a 4K trip out west because my wife thot they should be changed because of excuses like this. Never covered and not weather checked and stored outside. I'll admit, after I purchased the trailer there were only three or four months in ten years that it didn't move somewhere to camp.

Your the only one who can make a claim like this towing a travel trailer. 12 years....unheard of.

DSteiner51
Explorer
Explorer
CKNSLS wrote:
msjdbman wrote:
Well, I sure hope that everyone has good luck with these new tires from Carlisle, but I'll never spend another dime on them. I spent extra money on a set of ST235/85/R16 Load range F tires just five years ago, hoping that the increased capacity would be beneficial. Tread still looks brand new, sidewalls like new, no weather checking at all, but internal belts let go on 3 of the 4 allowing the outer circumference to swell by over 2 additional inches. They have now all been replaced with LT tires. These were on my gooseneck, not my fiver, but I never overloaded them at all. So good luck to you all!

Those tires were on your trailer too long. Period. The weather doesn't matter. You get UV rays even when it's cloudy.

Sorry, very poor excuse. My tires on my fifth wheel were on for 12 years and approx 50k miles and only replaced before a 4K trip out west because my wife thot they should be changed because of excuses like this. Never covered and not weather checked and stored outside. I'll admit, after I purchased the trailer there were only three or four months in ten years that it didn't move somewhere to camp.
D. Steiner
The sooner I fall behind, the more time I have to catch up.

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
msjdbman wrote:

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
Just saw this post and wanted to add my experience. I just purchased the new HD tires, rating 81 mph, high load range E and got a good deal on them at discount tire. So far I have had 2 trips on them and love these tires. The eom ones fell apart at 4 years, was very spongy down the road. The camper would bounce a lot more. These new HD tires are very stable and pulling the camper with less bounce and grater stability. Granted they are range E verse the D I had before. Overall I was unsure about Carlisle tires but these have really changed my mind on them. I noticed a big difference in how the camper pulled in the mountains. It was very stable compared to before. Just my opinion, good luck on your purchase.
A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

TexasChaps
Explorer
Explorer
Atlee wrote:
Something is wrong then. I have over 20k miles on my Maxxis tires, and they still look great. At the rate they are wearing, I'll have to replace due to age rather than tread depth.

Tom_Diane wrote:
I'm a little late to the party on this thread but I just found the info I was looking for! I was looking at the Carlisle and a Heartland both sold at discount tire. Is there any info on Heartland tires?
My gut tells me the Carlisle is the way to go!
I saw a mention of Maxxis tires but I have those OEM, No more than 3k miles on them and they are wearing thin and will be replaced in the next couple days.

likewise, I have over 20k on mine and they will age out before wearing out.... you have a problem somewhere..

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
I have the RH's for the last 8 years, second set now. No issues in that time other than a shifted belt on the first set, (5years and 10k miles) the majority of miles were towing in high temps!

My next set will be the HD's.

Actually the Carlisle Radial Trail RH didn't become available till '13 according to Carlisle who says this from their website;

"Launched in early 2013, the Carlisle Radial Trail RH Radial Trailer Tire for Toy Haulers, Boat Trailers, Cargo Trailers, Utility Trailers, Stock Trailers and other towable applications. The new and improved second generation Radial Trail RH combines two new Carlisle technologies."

Now the old Carlisle Radial Sport Trail has been around for several years.

Carlisle is probably our oldest ST tire maker. The RH seems to have lost the usual ST tire image for Carlisle. Looking at Carlisle website the new HD with a solid center rib and two smaller ribs on the outsides look even better than the RH.
I would bet several years down the road owners can report time and mileage up there in the 40k-50k mile range and 7-8 years in service with no issues.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
msjdbman wrote:

Here in Michigan, we don't have the dry heat problems putting a toll on tires
That's true.. out in the desert west we have a lot of heat and sunshine. My tires never wear out, they start checking at the rims. And I've been loading my previous LT tires to the max 8 months/year.

We don't do well with batteries either.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

msjdbman
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
msjdbman wrote:
I spent extra money on a set of ST235/85/R16 Load range F tires just five years ago,
"Just" 5 years? What sort of life are you expecting? I replace mine at 4.

I just put on those same tires.. haven't driven yet. We'll see.

If anyone wants to get into the ST vs LT again and China bombs (it never ends), go here:

China bomb tire thread 2016

I think we need a separate forum just for tires.

Here in Michigan, we don't have the dry heat problems putting a toll on tires. It is not uncommon to see them last for many many years. Heck, the tires on my truck in my signature are a mix match of Firestone and Michelins purchased used...all 8-10 years old and looking still like new. For crying out loud, I have antique tractors on 30-40 year old tires that are just now beginning to weather check. So yes...I certainly expected far more than 5 years and 2500 miles out of a set of tires on my gooseneck trailer. YMMV
2008 Duramax/Allison LT2 Crew cab Standard Box. Hellwig Air Assist. BD Diesel VVT Turbo Brake. 2003 Coachmen Chaparral 295 IKS

D_MAX
Explorer
Explorer
I totally understand the expiry date and cheap tires but I would guess a huge percentage of trailers on the road do not replace their tires every 3-4 years. If even 10. Every one of those trailers sold with an SUV or under powered truck was never told about tires. Miles on tires with an owner that wouldn't even have a clue how to change a tire, let alone have the tools, probably significantly outweighs the fear mongering on ST tires. The RV industry is a joke with what they sell people and tires are not the biggest issue. With that said... You get what you pay for and these tires rival Maxxis. Time will tell. And will add LT tires are not an option for many on 15" rims.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have the RH's for the last 8 years, second set now. No issues in that time other than a shifted belt on the first set, (5years and 10k miles) the majority of miles were towing in high temps!

My next set will be the HD's.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
Had 2 years/3 summers on my Radial Trail RH tires before I sold it.

From Wisconsin, the majors were Smokies. Yellowstone. Gulfshores. Sault Ste. Marie. And so many places in between all these destinations.

GREAT TRAILER TIRE and I can run it well over 65mph if I opt.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
msjdbman wrote:
I spent extra money on a set of ST235/85/R16 Load range F tires just five years ago,
"Just" 5 years? What sort of life are you expecting? I replace mine at 4.

I just put on those same tires.. haven't driven yet. We'll see.

If anyone wants to get into the ST vs LT again and China bombs (it never ends), go here:

China bomb tire thread 2016

I think we need a separate forum just for tires.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

msjdbman
Explorer
Explorer
2008 Duramax/Allison LT2 Crew cab Standard Box. Hellwig Air Assist. BD Diesel VVT Turbo Brake. 2003 Coachmen Chaparral 295 IKS

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
Something is wrong then. I have over 20k miles on my Maxxis tires, and they still look great. At the rate they are wearing, I'll have to replace due to age rather than tread depth.

Tom_Diane wrote:
I'm a little late to the party on this thread but I just found the info I was looking for! I was looking at the Carlisle and a Heartland both sold at discount tire. Is there any info on Heartland tires?
My gut tells me the Carlisle is the way to go!
I saw a mention of Maxxis tires but I have those OEM, No more than 3k miles on them and they are wearing thin and will be replaced in the next couple days.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch