cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone sorry they bought an RV?

Go_Dogs
Explorer
Explorer
We live in a middle class suburban neighborhood. There are about 6-7 RVs, that never move from their driveways. I know because I have driven past them every week, for the past 6 years.
I don't see any For Sale signs, I think if they were for sale, 6 years should have been time enough to sell them.
I imagine that maybe these folks either inherited them or bought them, and their circumstances changed, (illness, divorce, job-loss?). Maybe they just don't want to get rid of it for some reason. Seems strange as the RVs are just getting old. There's an Airstream trailer that must be 30 or 40 years old. This guy has other vehicles that he maintains, but the Airstream just sits, blocking the driveway.
Just wondering if there was any forum members that have an RV, and don't use it.
61 REPLIES 61

WandaLust2
Explorer
Explorer
We're not sorry at all but we do see RVs that appear to never move next to houses on roads and streets we pass all the time. In a few cases it appears people are living in them although they are RVs and not small mobile homes. Probably relatives of the person who owns the house and land. The rest just sit where they are.
Mrs. WandaLust. Retired. Middle TN
1999 Fleetwood SouthWind 32'
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DesertSpooners
Explorer
Explorer
I love our motorhome. We bought it used and enjoy the planning as much as the trip itself. It's is not the newest rig in the park or the fanciest, but I don't think we would enjoy it any more if it was brand new. The kids are grown and we have the weekends to ourselves. The lure of the open road and the ease of online reservations is wonderful. I never really enjoyed traveling, flying and staying in hotel rooms, but I love my little "home away from home"! It represents so many happy memories that I love looking at it out the kitchen window. By the way, it is recessed on the lot so the neighbors don't have to look at it. Would I loan it out because it sits unused for several weeks sometimes? No, and I wouldn't rent out the unused bedrooms either. My place-my rules.
Still having fun!

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
robsouth wrote:
.. he said that they only went to the one campground that closed and had never been to any others and really had no interest in going to any others.
That is some story.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

qball6
Explorer
Explorer
Ours sat in California for the last six years because we had no way to bring it when we moved to Texas. Finally had my parents halfway between us( now in Oklahoma) in June. They full time, so I asked and my father went back picked it up , and brought it to NM. Loaded the DW, dogs, and gear and hit the road early on a Friday morning. Spent 2 nights with my folks then took the long road home on Sunday. It was a whirlwind weekend, but worth it. We've now spent 3 weekends in it this year. I generally work 6 day weeks, so having the ability to get away occasionally is priceless.
2000 Fleetwood Terry 717b,
2008 Toyota Tundra 5.7L

lfcjasp
Explorer
Explorer
I do wonder about RV's in our neighborhood that never seem to roll...but at least ours does get used, though not as much as we'd like...one TT has been out..once...but it's also used a lot in the driveway...apparently as a guest cottage:) Besides the ones I never see being used may be getting snuck out the same weekends we go camping! As long as we're able to use and enjoy ours, I don't spend a lot of energy wondering about anyone else's RV.

Laman
Explorer
Explorer
Go Dogs wrote:
Laman wrote:
My next door neighbor has a 38ft. toyhauler that is currently on it's eigth year of sitting in his driveway. I saw it moved one time about 5 years ago but nothing before or since. It was also bought brand new! He also washes it about once every 3 years but according to his wife they keep it "just in case they ever want to go camping".
Different strokes for different folks.

This is the kind of thing that strikes me as such a waste. This TH is just going to rot. Does this guy also maintain a TV that can pull that beast? Money that could be better spent, elsewhere.

Actually he has a f-350 diesel that he bought at the same time that does get used a little. Nice people, just don't understand their spending habits and they are not breaking any codes as we live out in the county.
1998 American Eagle 40' EVS, 2011 Ford Edge, Falcon 2 tow bar
DW and 2 DD's

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
By chance, my previous tt was sold to someone who stores it on the route I take to work each day. I spent countless hours washing, waxing, and doing general maintenance on this unit, as well as talking many memorable trips with friends and family. It was a great trailer, in great shape. It now moves for one weekend each year, when it is towed about 2 miles to the county fairground, where it sits during the fair, only to return to its storage space on Monday. Breaks my heart a little.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

Jayco254
Explorer
Explorer
Only once a month when the payment comes due.
Tom, Kathy, Nikki, & Kelly
Pets: Lady - Texas Heeler, Dinger - Rhodesian Riidgeback Mix
2008 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4x4 5.4 ci 3.73 gears
2008 Dodge Ram SLT Big Horn 4x4 5.7L Hemi 3.92 gears
2007 Jayco Jayfeather EXP 254
Husky W/D, P-3

Go_Dogs
Explorer
Explorer
This is the kind of thing that strikes me as such a waste. This TH is just going to rot. Does this guy also maintain a TV that can pull that beast? Money that could be better spent, elsewhere.

Laman
Explorer
Explorer
My next door neighbor has a 38ft. toyhauler that is currently on it's eigth year of sitting in his driveway. I saw it moved one time about 5 years ago but nothing before or since. It was also bought brand new! He also washes it about once every 3 years but according to his wife they keep it "just in case they ever want to go camping".
Different strokes for different folks.
1998 American Eagle 40' EVS, 2011 Ford Edge, Falcon 2 tow bar
DW and 2 DD's

pronstar
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sorry that we bought our first one on a whim, paid way too much and it was much too small.
But we have great memories from it regardless.

Much happier with our current one.
'07 Ram 5.9 QC/LB SRW
Full Carli Suspension
35" Toyo's | 4.56 | PacBrake

2009 Cyclone 3950 | B&W Turnover Ball & Companion | TrailAire | Duravis R250s

Redterpos3
Explorer
Explorer
This has been our first year and we have enjoyed every moment of it. I really like the puttering around, doing the setup, and DW likes creating a nice relaxing drink when all is done with setup. Good distribution of duties!! Normally, I'm the cook, et al. But on these trips she kicks in as cook or helper with the prep. We are a good team, and it is always relaxing. just seeing a rv on the road sets my heart and mind on vacation. I like to move and see different things, even while I am truly a home-buddy; I guess when you RV you can be a home-buddy and still move and explore. Best of both worlds!!
The Travelin' Terrapins!
2016 Ford F-350 SRW;CC;4x4;172WB;6.7PSD;34,000m
2011 Nash 27T 12,995m
2013 Yr1 30nts 3150m
2014 Yr2 52nts 3365m
2015 yr3 25nts 2260m
2016 yr4 46nts 2500m
2017 yr5 24nts 1720m
2018 yr6 4nts 30m

seatboard
Explorer
Explorer
Sometimes, I do wonder about our's as it has been three plus years since we have been anywhere. I try to take it up the road and back just to see if all is ok. as some have mentioned here, our problems have been medical. I believe we are going to be able to get out of here soon. The MH is paid for so there are only taxes and Ins to worry about. As someone said above, I love to tinker around with the small problems which come up.
Harold and Faye US Navy Retired
2006 Fleetwood Revolution 40LE
400 cat

Mr__Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Only when it sits with a cover on it for the winter.
Mr. Camper
Mrs. Camper
Fuzzy Kids = Tipper(RIP), PoLar(RIP), Ginger, Pasha
2013 Open Range Light; 274ORLS
2004 Dodge Ram Turbo Diesel
Retired and love spending the kid's inheritance

jamesu
Explorer
Explorer
DW just retired. We did more NW trips April-October this year than ever before. Just buttoned it up for the winter. Wish we could go right through. Can't wait for March/April to arrive.

When we were both still working I sometimes wondered if it was worth it. I'm retired teacher and this September we took off (on purpose) right after school started. I thought the campgrounds would be empty. Surprise: they were half full of folks just like us. No kids! Each day is a gift.
2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax diesel
2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS (Outdoors RV)
Go Cougs!