cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone towing a 5ver with a Toyota Tundra 2wd

carpetguy2
Explorer
Explorer
My father wants to trade in his motorhome for a Denali 5ver.(Not sure on the weight yet) but it's a smaller one.
Just want guys opinions that have Toyota 2wd 5.7 towing and how it been for you.
Thanks in advance for help and any ideas
I do know he will need a slider hitch.
2007.5 chevy 3500 ltz CC LB Duramax
2016 Open range 3x378
Some other toys too
30 REPLIES 30

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
RinconVTR wrote:
Plenty are towing 5th wheels with Tundra's.

Rear axle weight and Gross combined rating should be adhered to.

Otherwise, IMO towing a 5th wheel that maxes out the Tundra is FAR better than towing a bumper pull TT near or even under max. And I tow a 7000lb TT with a Sequoia...so don't try to tell me I don't know what I'm talking about!!!!

X2
To the 5er over a TT, just naturally more stable!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
Plenty are towing 5th wheels with Tundra's.

Rear axle weight and Gross combined rating should be adhered to.

Otherwise, IMO towing a 5th wheel that maxes out the Tundra is FAR better than towing a bumper pull TT near or even under max. And I tow a 7000lb TT with a Sequoia...so don't try to tell me I don't know what I'm talking about!!!!

trikeflyer
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, so from first-hand experience, I did pull a 30' 5th wheel for 8 years over many thousands of miles with a 03 tundra. That being said I did add air bags and a transmission cooler. The 5er was a ultra-lite and under 8k dry weight. There were times in the mountains that it felt that it was all it could do to go over the mountain but it always made it. I did have a slider hitch in the 6' bed but only used it on one or two occasions. If you are looking for approval from the weight police it will never happen.

carpetguy2
Explorer
Explorer
Got him convinced .He traded his tundra in on a new dodge ram 2500 .Not a dodge guy but its a nice trick.
Thanks for all the feedback and help
2007.5 chevy 3500 ltz CC LB Duramax
2016 Open range 3x378
Some other toys too

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
A friend of mine did this with a 28-ft 12,000 pound fiver behind his Tundra for three years, about 20,000 miles, without incident. The truck came with load range D tires, which he filled to max sidewall pressure on the rear (rather than the lighter doorpost setting) and he put on helper springs. Was the truck overloaded? Yes. Was it fatal to truck, trailer or occupants? No.

I told him his truck was badly overloaded. He did OK anyway. But his experience led him to trading for a Class C motorhome.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

TundraTower
Explorer
Explorer
On our 2 trips out west, we have seen several Tundra's pulling 5th wheels. I've tried to talk to every one I could. They all have air bags on the rear and all of them had the TRD supercharger added.

The truck will certainly "do it", but not within the factory specifications. Tundra's have very little official payload capacity. Mine rated to pull 9,500 lbs, and it does that quite well, but it officially has less than 1000 lbs of payload capacity on the truck itself.
2013 Tundra, 5.7FF, TRD, 4WD, tow pkg
2014 Forest River Cherokee 264
Prodigy II / Equalizer 10K
103 nights & 12,700 miles since April '13

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
We towed with a Tundra and we had a 5K trailer. That was the most I would want to tow with that truck. It did the job but struggled up the mountains out west. You can answer your own question: Look at the tow rating and the weight rating and then look at the weights of the fifth wheel you are considering.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
I'm not the weight cops either, but if I could buy a new fiver, I would buy a truck that would tow it well. The tundra will s uck with that big a trailer. It's not all about the weight, also wind resistance and 5vres are about the biggest sail out there you can hook to a truck.
Caveat, you didn't say how much or how far he wants to tow. We all assume he's goin full time, burnin up the hiways, hittin the Ike at 3 am hammer down.......but if it's to haul it to a nearby long term site and back each year or local, low altitude, flat land short trips then the tundra may do ok. Not great, but ok.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Bob_E_
Explorer
Explorer
I stayed at a campground where the "host" towed a Montana 5th wheel with his Tundra. He really only moved the camper twice a year but that was from Ohio in the summers to Florida in the winters. He said it pulled great! But that don't make it right.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen two doing it, so I guess it can be done.

dave54
Nomad
Nomad
The limiting factors to Tundra's weight ratings are OEM tires/wheels and suspension. Upgrade those and you may be alright. The chassis, brakes, axles, and powertrain are more than adequate. They actually are overkill for the truck.

However, you could still be over the official factory ratings. So if in an accident or need warranty work it could come back to bite you.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
If he insists at least convince him to change the tires to E rated and look into if his rims are even rated for that mich weight. Might as well have a fighting chance of staying upright!
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

Skelshy
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not usually with the weight police, but this is just too much. It will be unsafe, it will handle badly because the there is no suspension travel left.

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
You might first want to google for FW hitches to fit the truck. I pulled a light FW with a 2004 F150, 5-1/2' bed, and the Pullrite 12k slider worked for me. If no one mfgrs. a hitch I think you have your answer.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD