cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anything we can do to when people abuse overnight parking?

Playtime_II
Explorer
Explorer
Last month while talking with our RV storage lot manager he mentioned that an owner of a 90's era Class A moved out of town awhile back so he told the manager to sell it for whatever and keep the money.

Well, it sold (buyer paid for it). The day finally came for the buyer to take it, they were a no-show. Turns out they needed a few extra days as the guy was still in jail. He finally got out and then started living out of the RV at the storage lot. Last Sunday, once the manager finally pressed with summoning police the RV hitched to an open trailer stuffed w/ **** left the lot. They left a old jetski on the grass and a pile of trash.

Well guess what is now parked at our local Walmart for the last week and a half?
Playtime IV
2006 HR Scepter 42DSQ
65 REPLIES 65

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
jake2250 wrote:
qtla9111 wrote:
Lots of poor Americans living in used rvs now. Down and out, someone needs to give them an opportunity.

Stop worrying about what looks good or bad, or NMBY, and start worrying about the human side of things. People are hurting and they need help.

Why not offer some advice or help to the person to fix up their rig? I hear a lot about people on this forum buying 60K or more pickups. Add a couple tubes of sealer, a bit of paint, or a used rv part to help out a guy who might be trying to get back on his feet. Share the wealth.

Americans appear to be rich but it may be just that, appearance.

How about you offer up your neighborhood, and your driveway! I got a bleeding heart also. You own real estate? hopefully you have acreage,, dig a few pit toilets and you will be a savior!!

Done. If you read the Mexico forum youยดll see where I have always had my driveway and land nearby open to any rver.

And on that note, there have been some who came down to Mexico looking for a way to survive on their measly social security checks and they didnยดt have the greatest rigs and a couple could have fit the description in the OPs post.

The door is always open to a fellow rver be it someone who is rich or down on their luck.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

jake2250
Explorer
Explorer
qtla9111 wrote:
Lots of poor Americans living in used rvs now. Down and out, someone needs to give them an opportunity.

Stop worrying about what looks good or bad, or NMBY, and start worrying about the human side of things. People are hurting and they need help.

Why not offer some advice or help to the person to fix up their rig? I hear a lot about people on this forum buying 60K or more pickups. Add a couple tubes of sealer, a bit of paint, or a used rv part to help out a guy who might be trying to get back on his feet. Share the wealth.

How about you offer up your neighborhood, and your driveway! I got a bleeding heart also. You own real estate? hopefully you have acreage,, dig a few pit toilets and you will be a savior!!

jake2250
Explorer
Explorer
DownTheAvenue wrote:
M.Y.O.B.

All good until its in your neighborhood!

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
Playtime II wrote:
Last month while talking with our RV storage lot manager he mentioned that an owner of a 90's era Class A moved out of town awhile back so he told the manager to sell it for whatever and keep the money.

Well, it sold (buyer paid for it). The day finally came for the buyer to take it, they were a no-show. Turns out they needed a few extra days as the guy was still in jail. He finally got out and then started living out of the RV at the storage lot. Last Sunday, once the manager finally pressed with summoning police the RV hitched to an open trailer stuffed w/ **** left the lot. They left a old jetski on the grass and a pile of trash.

Well guess what is now parked at our local Walmart for the last week and a half?

I didnt know overnight parking,,where allowed is abuse!:h

I used to park at WM many nights after working all day,saved enough money that way to retire early..

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
chorbelt wrote:
I don't think this is a "RV" issue, as much as it is a bum/public nuisance issue. I'm sort of surprised to see the comments on here from WA about minding your own business when Seattle has a pretty well known problem with RVs and tent cities.

The majority of these people commit property crimes (mail theft, B&E, car prowls, etc.) to get by on. Not too mention the drug use and prostitution.....

X2
I full time and have stopped at night at WM to pick up groceries. I can't tell you how many times I have seen drug dealers and the like parked in RV's in the parking lot going about their business of selling drugs.

Before I even got out of my MH one night two cars pulled up against my MH to be out of sight and out they popped out doing a drug deal and spouting about their guns. :R

That all said. If the OP sees a MH parked for days on end in the Walmart he "should" make a report on it. Sorry but sadly over 80% of convicted felons reoffend within the first few months of getting out.

How safe would you all feel if your teen kids went shopping at that walmart with people LIVING in their RV?

Just read the news folks, the new meth lab locations is an RV parked long term at Walmart.:(

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
zigzagrv wrote:
I wanna tell you, I've overnighted at MANY Walmarts all over the country on my 2, 3, 4 day trips to wherever I'm going and have never seen any of the abuse reported on this forum. Could be because I pull in late and leave early that I miss the 'campers' and bums who hang out there. Just like the 'People of Walmart' web page, I've not seen any of those weirdos in the ones I patronize. Some strange sights, yes, but nothing to the level of that site. Maybe I just pick the high class WM's to stay at. ๐Ÿ˜‰

OK - read all the posts - but came back to this one (first) as there is mis-information (about Wally-Parking).

OP you should be able to figure out the answer to the topic you posted - without any help.

#1 - However-
It *IS* Walmart's "problem" - the RV(s) are on THEIR private property.
It can be "handled" by the property owner (Walmart) and/or local ordinance - or both.
If it's an 'eyesore' in/to the community (or you) - voice your complaint at/to your local governing body. RATHER THAN HERE!!..:S..:S
Do you need folks on an internet forum to do that for you?..:h

#2 - Like "zig" - I have *overnighted* at Wally if/and when I couldn't find alternate last moment accommodations. For me that means *ONE* night.

Besides several local WalMarts which ban over night parking (with posted signs), I have found two WalMarts which do the same w/o being posted.
The Dalls, Oregon.
Couldn't find a campground (all full) along the Columbia River. Figured it's time for Plan W.
Pull into the pk lot about 9:30 PM, and was heading in to the store to see if it was OK. No need, a mgr and an employee were at my rig shortly after my feet hit the ground.

Very polite, explained prior to prohibiting "camping" in the lot, they had folks pitching tents, sleeping on the ground, and long-term "residents".
They even suggested a location a few miles down the highway that truckers use - worked out well.

Pismo Beach, CA.
Pulled in to lot - a couple of other rigs already there. Went into store, asked an employee - who said, "No problem".
At closing time, security came around and said it was prohibited -
politely suggested an alternate (K-Mart or a business center) about a
half mile away. Worked out fine.

The "homless" RVers in parts of SoCA have long been abusers - not only in business parking lots - but on residential streets..:(
Abuse = trash, drugs, etc. - including gray *AND* black tank "dumps" in/on the street.
Well documented photos, etc. Resulted in ordinances - some of which are/were challenged in court.
To some... "Live Free" - also means - "Dump Free"..:R

~

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Mark wrote:
Ever seen Slab City south of the Salton Sea in Southern California? Just go and park. It's a haven for snowbirds from Canada (or anywhere) and for people who like to live 'off the grid'.

Safe travels,
MM.

So..why did you have to put "Canadians" in there. You are right...from anywhere. Mind you...I am Canadian and I kinda liked the place. One thing they don't suffer there..are fools and gossips.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Dennis12 wrote:
I'm glad i have more to do than talk about someone else.

Right! Like DRINK BEER! :B

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
qtla9111 wrote:

i'd rather donate to agencies and NPO's that service that population than deal with people directly. i've been approached several times by people claiming one thing or another and asking for $ to buy gas or food but when i offer to fill their tank or buy them food they ask for the $ instead. scammers. there is all sorts of help available to these folks but they have to ask. being poor does not relieve one of the responsibility to participate in our society. trillions have been spent on the war on poverty and yet what do we have to show for it? no doubt there are some legitimate folks living in or at the poverty line while others who are gaming the system. empathy for the former but not for the latter.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad

2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

thirtydaZe
Nomad
Nomad
how often do you go to walmart?
2019 Jayco Eagle HT 324BHTS
2024 Ram 2500 68RFE

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
I dunno why I read this situation differently, but I saw an ex-con trying to start out after being released and, having no money after buying an RV, had to take a few nights on the cheap to get going. It takes a few weeks for a person with no 'history' to land a job, and at least one more for the cash to start flowing.

Leave the person alone and let them get a foothold on this harsh land loaded with people ready to drop a dime on anyone who "doesn't look right".
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Dennis12 wrote:
I'm glad i have more to do than talk about someone else.
Doesn't look like it.
:B
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
evanrem wrote:
One of the YouTube channels I follow (living Free) was just complaining about people overstaying at Walmart and BLM lands and taking advantage of the situation.

Hmm... Living free complaining about people living at Walmart is textbook pot calling the kettle black
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm glad to see I'm not in the minority here.

There's an old proverb, "It takes a village to raise a child."

It is a proverb which means that it takes an entire community to raise a child: A child has the best ability to become a healthy adult if the entire community takes an active role in contributing to the rearing of the child.

Poor behaviour of any kind is no different, we have become an ill-mannered society of people who are of the opinion that it's always someone else's problem.

It's not, it's everyone's problem.