cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Attaching to Fiberglass

Beltzy
Explorer
Explorer
My toy hauler has the fiberglass on the outside and I am looking to add a level to the front where I can see when parking. The instructions say to screw the level on. My question is what is the best way to screw into the fiberglass to attach the level without messing up the fiberglass and not stripping the screws.. Any input is appreciated.
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 32BHDS
2011 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax LTZ
20 REPLIES 20

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:

Very easy to accidentally strip out the hole and sealants aren't forever.

3M stuff comes awfully close to "forever".
bumpy

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Road Runners wrote:
Having built a large fiberglass sail boat I have no problem with mounting the side to side level on the front fiberglass cap with screws. Use stainless steel screws to ensure no rusting. Where the screw goes, drill a hole through the fiberglass that is just slightly smaller diameter than the screw diameter. Then, put sealant in the hole you drilled and also on the bottom side of the screw head. Don't over tighten the screw, but do make sure it is firmly holding the level against the fiberglass. When done use mineral spirits to clean up any excess sealant. Mounting it this way will ensure it will not come off and that you will have a leak proof connection.

Except on a boat, the fiberglass typically ranges from 1/4" to 2" thick depending on where.

On a trailer end cap, you might be looking at 1/8".

Very easy to accidentally strip out the hole and sealants aren't forever.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
nomad297 wrote:
Velcro

Bruce

Adhesive backed velcro doesn't like heat or UV.

There are exterior double back tapes available that people use to mount solar panels without drilling. That is some strong stuff.
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

Beltzy
Explorer
Explorer
I did find a level today that came with the sticky back on it, as stated above I am going to remove the sticky stuff and get some 3m tape to use... I appreciate all the inputs on this!
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 32BHDS
2011 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax LTZ

ddndoug
Explorer
Explorer
3M Super Strength Molding Tape. Great stuff and if you wipe both pieces down with alcohol before using you will never need to worry about it coming off.

Doug
2009 Four Winds Hurricane 33T
F53 Ford Chassis w/Triton V-10

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
If you get levels with the foam backing, completely remove it. Then use 3M VHB (very high bonding) tape. Search around for small quantities, it's expensive. I would never drill holes needlessly.

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
Good quality double stick tape, if you TH is a 5th wheel get the level that attaches to the pin box, that is what I use and like it. ๐Ÿ™‚
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

Road_Runners
Explorer
Explorer
Having built a large fiberglass sail boat I have no problem with mounting the side to side level on the front fiberglass cap with screws. Use stainless steel screws to ensure no rusting. Where the screw goes, drill a hole through the fiberglass that is just slightly smaller diameter than the screw diameter. Then, put sealant in the hole you drilled and also on the bottom side of the screw head. Don't over tighten the screw, but do make sure it is firmly holding the level against the fiberglass. When done use mineral spirits to clean up any excess sealant. Mounting it this way will ensure it will not come off and that you will have a leak proof connection.
'05' F-250 Power Stroke
'00' 30' Cameo Fifth Wheel

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
tpi wrote:
Personally I hate holes unless absolutely necessary. I've sure seen a lot of stick on levels that stayed stuck for a long time. Can you adapt it?

X2, I use the cheap stick on levels from Wang Mart.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I used marine/rv goop and glued mine on. works fine, sticks to the surface. used masking tape to hold it in place while drying.
bumpy

ugh
Explorer
Explorer
Why not go with double sided tape as that is how trims, badges, etc, are attached to cars and RVs. Cant go wrong with that.
---------------------------------
2001 F250 5.4 3.73
2015 Wildwood X-Lite 262BHXL

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
Velcro

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Use 3M Automotive tape it will not come off.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

harold1946
Explorer
Explorer
3M exterior grade double backed tape.
Harold and Linda
2009 CT Coachworks siena 35V
W-22 Workhorse 8.1L
Explorer Sport toad