Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Atwood Hot water heater working, BUT...

GaryS1953
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All-

So we are very fortunate to be spending a couple of months in warm Miami with full hookups, and our hot water heater is keeping water hot, but, comes on very frequently and only stays on for 2 minutes or less after the initial warm up. I turn if off overnight and start it in the morning, and at that point it stays on longer to do the initial heating.

I installed a dynasaur board years ago and it's always worked well till now. Is this a thermometer issue of some sort? Any thoughts?

Thanks1
Gary in Michigan
2014 Chevy Silverado 1500 Double Cab 5.3 Liter V8
1996 Coachmen Catalina RB210 21' Fifth Wheel
495 Watts Solar, 40 AMP Renogy Tracer MPPT Controller,2 GC2 6V Batts.
10 REPLIES 10

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Atwood Wiring Diagram...includes you model
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
That is what the forum is for!
You ight check the ground connection for the coils of the gas valve. It is hidden on the back side of gas valve. It uses same nut and bolt as the mount.
Years ago I ran a jumper from the circuit board ground wire to the gas valve. Now it does rely on the sheet metal for ground.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

GaryS1953
Explorer
Explorer
Perfect, thanks very much!
Gary in Michigan

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
First there is the two browns that go to one unit and the red ones go to the other. Take photo or identify them.
Only thing on wires is to insure that they slide on tight. There should be enough slack if the 1/4 inch spade connectors you can cut them off and crimp on new ones. Red 1/4 connectors are at most auto parts stores.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

GaryS1953
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, I've got those in my cart. What about the other 3 wires that connect on the ECO, should I replace them as well? If so I can't find a part number for them.
Gary in Michigan

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Inside the tubing is a thermal fuse. if it's connection is loose it causes same situation.
Look at part 93866 and 91447
Amazon

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

GaryS1953
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, looks like it could just be the wires. One red one in particular looks like it has a connector of some sort in the middle that connects to another section with a plastic sleeve over it. Where the two connect at the sleeve it's very loose, and I noticed that when I moved it the green light on the board went out and then back on. Is that a special wire of some sort that I might need to order?
Gary in Michigan

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
In about the center of the tank, there is the ECO and thermostat. Make sure they are tight against the tank. Wiggle the wires, two red, two brown. If they move very much, you should replace them. (ECO and thermostat)edit
What you saw was the gas valve. Above it and to the right is the thermostat and ECO hidden behind the black foam.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

GaryS1953
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
What is full model number of your Atwood? Number should be on outside access on frame.
Are you running on electric or propane?
First thought is thermostat is not tight against tank,
It's a G6A-AE, and it's strictly propane. The green light on the dynasaur board shows green except when it's burning, then red. The flame is a nice blue. I said thermometer, but I meant thermostat. Is that the heavy duty metal part the gas line connects to on the bottom of the exterior access, the part that always makes it difficult to access the drain?
Gary in Michigan

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
What is full model number of your Atwood? Number should be on outside access on frame.
Are you running on electric or propane?
First thought is thermostat is not tight against tank,

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow