cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Auto transmission car to tow- all 4 wheels on the ground?

precioustime
Explorer II
Explorer II
I presently tow a KIA Soul 2013 with manual transmission and all 4 wheels are on the ground. Only problem is the shifting in towns that we visit that have long hills. Also the shifting in my home town of Miami where the traffic is the worst! Is there a Ford, Chevy, GM or any other that can be towed like I want to? Looking for a small model, economical, reasonable in price. If not can the transmission be altered to accept the towing? Would that be expensive?
16 REPLIES 16

damntough
Explorer
Explorer
For information about Ford 4 wheels down towing, refer to the documents on the following sites.

http://www.fleet.ford.com/towing-guides/

DouglasC
Explorer
Explorer
All FoMoCo Hybrids are towable from the 2006 Escape/Mercury Mariner to current C-Max, Fusion & MKZ models.

Also, most models of the Fiesta & Focus as well as SUVs Edge & Flex are towable with auto transmissions. Like others have said, you must read the owners manual for the particular vehicle you are interested in buying to be sure that it's towable. (A few engine/tranny combinations are not towable.)
Doug
2006 Jayco Greyhawk Model 27DS
Towing 2019 Ford Fusion Energi with Brake Buddy

wilanddij
Explorer
Explorer
I'm towing a 2014 Ford C-Max. Moved to the C-Max after towing a Prius on a dolly one summer. Hated the all the fooling around loading and unloading the car from the dolly, but loved the MPG with the hybrid. So, when the C-Max came along (hybrid with automatic CVT, towable in neutral) I went for that. No more laying on the ground to fasten safety straps and chains.
Will & Di
2004 Southwind 32VS
Workhorse/8.1
Ford C-Max/Blue Ox
"We have met the enemy, and he is us" Pogo

Perick
Explorer
Explorer
We're currently looking at selling our tow dolly and getting something cheap to flat tow, like a 2000-2003 Chevy Cavalier. They weigh about 2600lbs and the automatic transmission can be flat towed. Best part is they can be gotten for under $2000.

Wish I had thought of that before we got the tow dolly, but live and learn.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
GM cars are towable with the 4T40 automatic, from approximately 1995-2005. Includes Chevy Cavalier, Pontiac Sunfire, Oldsmobile Alero compact cars, and mid-size Saturn L, Chevy Malibu, Pontiac GrandAm, Olds Cutlass.

GM cars are towable with the 4T45 automatic, 2005-2010. Includes Chevy Cobalt, HHR and Malibu, Pontiac GrandAm and G6, Saturn Ion and Vue.

Note for these compact and mid-size GM cars I specify the transmission, because you may find special models, mid-size particularly, with performance options that matched more powerful engines with different GM or third-party automatics.

Compact SUV sold as Pontiac Vibe is NOT flat towable as an automatic, because it is not on a GM platform. It is on a Toyota platform, and Toyota doesn't want any of its automatic transmission cars being towed.

There are larger, heavier GM cars from the same era that can be flat towed, particularly the Equinox/Torrent SUVs, and the later Saturn Vue on the same platform. I'm not sure which transmissions were used, so can't cross-reference to other cars. I'm also not sure of cutoff dates, i.e. just when for a particular model GM switched to newer transmissions.

A lot of Saturns get towed. The 1991-2002 S-series, three generations, initially used automatics (MP6, MP7) unique to Saturn. This made Saturns towable a few years before other GM compacts got a towable automatic. Saturn L, Vue and Ion got the corporate 4T40/4T45 transmissions, and at the end became platform shares with Chevrolet models.

Honda CR-Vs are also popular towable automatics, 1995 through 2014. While the CR-V is a platform share with Civic and Element, and shared essentially the same automatic transmission with Accord, Odyssey and Pilot (as well as a number of Acura models), Honda at some point after settling a class-action awarding extension of warranty on the automatic, decided to say only the CR-V was recommended for flat towing. CR-Vs are about 3400-3600 pounds and a bit tall, yet they tow quite well.

Something lighter from Honda, the Honda Fit from 2002 to 2013 was flat-towable with the 5-speed automatic, North American versions. I tow a Fit, as it is about 800 pounds lighter than a CR-V and the amount of space works well for me. At 35 MPG over the past 20,000 miles it has been economical on fuel, but not so cheap on service from the Honda dealer. Mine happens to be the 5-speed manual, but that's my choice, not a towing necessity.

Honda Fit would be the closest package size to your Kia Soul.

There have been a number of Ford compact and mid-size sedans and SUVs that can be flat towed with automatic transmissions. I haven't kept track of the changes over the past several years, not since buying the Honda Fit in 2012.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
There are many automatics that can be towed 4 down. Just last week we traded our 2003 Ford Sport Trac which was towable 4 down (automatic). We towed it since 2006 for over 100,000 miles, virtually trouble free except for regular maintenance and things like brakes, etc. It had 152,000 driven miles + the towed mileage.

We purchased a 2014 Ford Flex, about the same weight. It's all wheel drive, towable 4-down automatic. Easiest car ever to tow. Put it in neutral, turn the key all the way back and take off. Towed the first time yesterday without a problem.

We also test drove a Ford Edge, smaller car, but tows the same way.

Like others have said, we download the FMCA dinghy guides for the years we are looking at and take those with us while we are looking. I also downloaded the owners manuals for the cars we considered. Dealerships for the most part are NOT going to be able to answer your questions. The guys we dealt with (not a Ford dealer) got a friend on the phone for me who was a Ford service manager and knew all about towing, so he helped me through the stuff that wasn't in the manual. And also, the mechanic who installed the base plate also confirmed it all. Best toad for us!

Dale

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
do a preliminary search for possibilities but the CONFIRM it by reading the owner's manual ...

Most car companies now have owner's manuals online.

Great, I didn't know that. makes it much easier to sift thru vehicles. and don't do what I have seen here on occasion, folks say that the humpmobile 240xz must be towable because they saw one being towed. obviously they didn't know if it was stick or auto, had a DS disconnect, tranny pump etc.
bumpy

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a new 1999 Honda CRV and towed it 4 wheels down for a few years.

Saturn also sold many cars that you can tow 4 wheels down, both front wheel drive and a few 4 wheel drive.

You can check with motorhome magazine for lists of 4 wheel aproved cars going back many years.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

LetsRV
Explorer
Explorer
Tow a 2014 Honda CRV. Great little car.
It is the last year that the CRV could be towed four-down. They changed transmissions in 2015 and no longer towable four-down. See lots of the older ones as toads.
Due to depreciation the above opinions are now worth less than what you paid for them.

We are all good at something.....
I just happen to be a good bad example.

2016 Forest River Forester 3011DSF

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
do a preliminary search for possibilities but the CONFIRM it by reading the owner's manual ...

Most car companies now have owner's manuals online.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Moved to Dinghy Towing forum from Towing.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Remco Industries Towing LINK

and confirm what is said in the owner's manual.
bumpy

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Remco Industries Towing LINK
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
Check out the FMCA towing site if you belong to FMCA or ask here with a specific model or two and someone who is a member will look it up. You can also look at the Remco Towing Store site to see their list.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select