cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Autoformer versus Surge Protector

Dick_Hooper
Explorer
Explorer
How many or any owners are using the Hughes Autoformer? Or a Surge Protector? We need to purchase a new one, ours is dead after 15 years. Necessity or Not in your opinion?
I will say we are believers, as it was replaced by Autoformer after overheat in a park in NC. Saved our RV. As far as I know, the only product that boosts low power in RV park.

โš Please see the "Announcement : ★★READ BEFORE POSTING HERE★★" located at the top of this forum?
    "Forum Posting Help and Support is reserved for questions related to forum posting, signature and photo testing, or reporting member account issues. Please avoid using Forum Posting Help and Support for RV related questions, as doing so can delay responses to your thread. Instead, post in the RV Forum which corresponds to the subject of your topic. Thank-you!"
22 REPLIES 22

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I like the EMS conversion (how I'll likely do it).

I use a HUGHES autoformer. as does my current neighbor. Need 'em here still got lower than I like voltage (but high enough) per ye old meters. I meter both lets AND the Inverter line as well. (well one meter I got 13 years ago one (kill-a-watt) later for other use (it still does that but works as a line monitor most of the time) and the 3rd meter was... $0.00 shipping included!!! (Ok I won a prize) nice expanded range analog job from MFJ enterprises.

All are checked against my calibrated bench meters.

I mounted the Hughes for 4 reasons...
1: as noted it is HEAVY and I mean HEAVY and this leads to #2
2: For an overnight the tendency is to say "Forget it" and guess what I had one night where I kind of wish I had not. No A/C problem but voltage was low. (A/C off that night. furnace on). Microwave was not happy though. Wound up switching to inverter power for That).
3: I have been to parks that say "NO AUTOFORMERS".. So They will never see me plug in an Autoformer.. I simply don't do it.. And no I do not show 'em where it hides either.

4: Legs.. I used to have a real nice Generac 1000 Generator. Just enough to power the Progressive Dynamics Converter on this RV. but it grew legs and I've not seen it since. My Autoformer cost more than that generator. but where it is hiding legs are not an option.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"Cord caps"

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I have no such extra connections. Pulled the romex out of the panel and connected direct in the PI EMS. Added a section of romex to connect PI EMS to the main panel.

I do use the plugs for my booster for part time use only as needed. All that is located in the cord compartment.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I have mine connected with 50A cord caps. A couple un plugs and a plug in is completely removed. So I could say mine is not hard wired into RV.

Took me a moment to figure out what you meant by "cord caps" but I suspect this is how many of us actually install a hard wire EMS into our rigs. Much more versatile. :B

2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have mine connected with 50A cord caps. A couple un plugs and a plug in is completely removed. So I could say mine is not hard wired into RV.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
2edgesword wrote:
The Hughes autoformer units I see advertised boost voltage and provide surge protection.

And your point would be? :h One wouldn't buy either an EMS or an autoformer for surge protection but rather because an EMS won't pass faulty power on to the rig OR an autoformer because it will boost low incoming voltage in stages. Surge protection with either is merely an additional feature, not the reason to buy one in the first place.

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
The Hughes autoformer units I see advertised boost voltage and provide surge protection.

MrWizard
haven't we had this article 551-20 discussion before
and doesn't it refer to OEM builder mfg
NOT to owner add on
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Of interest and something to be aware of is that the Hughes internal mounting kit isn't code legal if installed inside an RV. Article 551-20 specifically prohibits the use of autotransformers (autoformers) inside RVs.

Also of note is that while the Hughes' autoformer contains UL components, the unit as a whole isn't UL approved which is not the same thing. Only UL approved/listed components and materials are permitted by the NEC which is another reason why the Hughes units are not code legal. Good 'ol CW lists the Hughes unit as being UL listed, which it's not...

While you might be just fine if it's mounted inside in a safe manner, has adequate ventilation and has the required clearances and access, if you ever had a fire or someone got a shock, you might be in hot water with an insurance company or AHJ. Having said that, many (me included) have done all sorts of various electrical modifications and nobody needs to take out a permit or required to get an inspection done by an AHJ.

I made some mods to our Hughes autoformer so it can sit underneath our TT versus having to be at a pedestal. Stays dry and is more out of sight.

2naEagle
Explorer
Explorer
I have the EMS-HW50C and the Hughes Autoformer with the Internal Mounting Kit inside the trailer. I also use a SSP-50XL at the pedestal. I plug the SSP-50XL in first thing (now) to make sure power is good before setting up.
I did have to move one time (after I got set up:S)
2020 F350 Limited CCSB SRW
2017 North Point 315RLTS
2021 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer wrote:
I installed a 30 amp hard-wired EMS right next to our converter/panel. It's always there and it's always protecting us. No need to pull it out and plug it in. The only thing I don't like is how warm it can get. I backed off the mounting screws on the cover a tad so it gets a little air flow.

I hadn't noticed my Progressive EMS-HW30C getting excessively warm but located under the sofa it was audibly noisy at times. No wonder - the contactor is bolted directly to the case, transferring any vibration it makes into the case itself. ๐Ÿ˜ž I tried isolating it but that was only partly successful so I removed the guts entirely and mounted them in a larger plastic tool box. After this mod (12 pics) it was dead silent. :B

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I installed a 30 amp hard-wired EMS right next to our converter/panel. It's always there and it's always protecting us. No need to pull it out and plug it in. The only thing I don't like is how warm it can get. I backed off the mounting screws on the cover a tad so it gets a little air flow. The EMS will protect you against low voltage by shutting you down. Ours has twice so far this season.

We also have an autoformer. It serves an entirely different purpose. The autoformer boosts low voltage and does not shut you down when it gets too low. You may not use one often, but when you need one, you really need one... I bought our 30 amp-er (lightly used) off ebay for a couple hundred $$. Excellent investment and a must-have!

I can't see the advantage of the new Hughes autoformers having integral surge protection if you only use one maybe a few times a season. An EMS is always there protection you against surges, should one ever happen to you.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
I carry both also. I like having both as the Autoformer is portable and HEAVY. I like not having to heft it out when it's not needed (a majority of the time).

The EMS is hard-wired.

https://www.facebook.com/LearnToRV/photos/a.1000018590065561.1073741828.998647740202646/176458419694...
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"I would love to have the Hughes autoformer if it were not for the price - $600!"

For a guy with a Platinum that's ChumpChange!!!

I have BOTH, I installed my AF in the cord reel compartment. AF should be first in line.