cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Autoformer versus Surge Protector

Dick_Hooper
Explorer
Explorer
How many or any owners are using the Hughes Autoformer? Or a Surge Protector? We need to purchase a new one, ours is dead after 15 years. Necessity or Not in your opinion?
I will say we are believers, as it was replaced by Autoformer after overheat in a park in NC. Saved our RV. As far as I know, the only product that boosts low power in RV park.

โš Please see the "Announcement : ★★READ BEFORE POSTING HERE★★" located at the top of this forum?
    "Forum Posting Help and Support is reserved for questions related to forum posting, signature and photo testing, or reporting member account issues. Please avoid using Forum Posting Help and Support for RV related questions, as doing so can delay responses to your thread. Instead, post in the RV Forum which corresponds to the subject of your topic. Thank-you!"
22 REPLIES 22

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Optimistic Paranoid wrote:
You can - occasionally - find them on Craigslist. I got a 30 amp Autoformer for $150. They're easy enough to check. Plug them into an outlet and verify with your meter that they are passing the same or higher voltage through.

Tough to do when the seller is located in another city and has to courier the unit to you. I did just that, buying a used TRC voltage regulator on Kijiji (similar to Craiglist), but when I received it I discovered serious internal damage. In this case the seller was honourable and returned my purchase price but he could have easily said "too bad, so sad" and I'd have been stuck. ๐Ÿ˜ž Caveat Emptor. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Optimistic_Para
Explorer
Explorer
You can - occasionally - find them on Craigslist. I got a 30 amp Autoformer for $150. They're easy enough to check. Plug them into an outlet and verify with your meter that they are passing the same or higher voltage through.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Lexx wrote:
I would love to have the Hughes autoformer if it were not for the price - $600!

Well as the old saying goes - "you pays your money and you takes your choice". What's the solution worth to you? :@

Lexx
Explorer
Explorer
I would love to have the Hughes autoformer if it were not for the price - $600!

We were at a national park and our EMS kept shutting down the power. Turns out the voltage was dropping below 104 volts so the EMS protected us from the current. It took me a while to figure out why the power kept cutting out. Sucked cause it was a hot day!
2017 Ruby Red Platinum F450 - my kids call her "Big Red"
2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Dick Hooper wrote:
How many or any owners are using the Hughes Autoformer? Or a Surge Protector? We need to purchase a new one, ours is dead after 15 years. Necessity or Not in your opinion?
I will say we are believers, as it was replaced by Autoformer after overheat in a park in NC. Saved our RV. As far as I know, the only product that boosts low power in RV park.

If your concern is low voltage then I'm not sure I understand your question as surge protection won't do anything at all to protect your rig. :h For low voltage situations you have two choices - either boost incoming source voltage with a voltage regulator such as the Hughes Autoformer OR protect the rig with an EMS that will detect excessively low voltage and automatically disconnect the rig entirely before any damage can occur. Neither though has anything to do with surge protection, other than either type of unit can also include some degree of surge protection as an additional feature.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I ran my autoformer all last week because of low voltage, worked great. I didn't see another one in the campground and my neighbors didn't even have a voltmeter or a clue.

Moved from FORUM POSTING HELP AND SUPPORT