cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Backing up with toad

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was in a situation recently where the last spot could have been mine at a rest stop if I backed my toad into the spot. It would have been almost a straight shot into the

spot. If someone was able to steer the toad wouldn't it be doable? i am talking a straight shot not around a corner. Also how many times have you had to drop the toad

because of bad directions or misjudgments. 30ft. Cambria with a Wrangler toad.
33 REPLIES 33

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
A fact is, if you tie off the steering wheel, you ain't gonna hurt nothing, backwards, or forwards, except for scrubbing a little rubber.
The idiot sheets that say not to back up at all, are protecting themselves from front end damage when the wheelz slam bang and cross up. That could do some damage. So idiots need to be told not to do it.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
All right, children, play nice or go home!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
et2 wrote:
klutchdust wrote:
et2 wrote:
klutchdust wrote:
et2 wrote:
If you decide to do it... take a video and post it here. It would be a great post. Some people do learn from others mistakes.

I never said I was going to do that. I asked a question and it was answered. What's your point?

Simple, the tow bar manufacture and their design engineers tell you not to. People answering your post told you specifically what happened to them ( chicken littles not, EPIC failure) . Yet you seem to lean towards the what can it hurt crowd.Yet there are some who choose to believe it's a myth that nothing will happen. They're called tow bars for a reason, not push bars or tow / push bars.

You choose. But as I said before, do it a few times while taking a video.

AND I said I understood and you felt a need to keep rambling on. The point was made, your post was nothing more than a "daddy knows best" attitude. After reading some of your posts I get the idea you seem to have some control issues. Get that checked out dude. I mean after all, what part of "I get it" don't you understand, if you need me to go slower I will.

The "what can it hurt crowd" Dude, you have no idea what you are talking about, now go put your head under the pillow until the fear subsides.....j ass

You asked what my point was and you got your answer. If you didn't want my answer don't ask or just ignore me. Then you proceed to joke about the chicken littles who didn't agree with ... A www shucks just try it crowd. Some "specifically" told you what happens.

Then here comes your name calling. Funny, then you claim I'm the one who has some "control issues" daddy knows best. Why the post or question then? its your stuff, just do what makes you happy. Maybe someone else will post a " you can't fix stupid" post detailing your mishap.

Must be fun living at your house. I just realized I am having a conversation with an idiot, try to keep it between the lines captain america.

et2
Explorer
Explorer
klutchdust wrote:
et2 wrote:
klutchdust wrote:
et2 wrote:
If you decide to do it... take a video and post it here. It would be a great post. Some people do learn from others mistakes.

I never said I was going to do that. I asked a question and it was answered. What's your point?

Simple, the tow bar manufacture and their design engineers tell you not to. People answering your post told you specifically what happened to them ( chicken littles not, EPIC failure) . Yet you seem to lean towards the what can it hurt crowd.Yet there are some who choose to believe it's a myth that nothing will happen. They're called tow bars for a reason, not push bars or tow / push bars.

Do you give any thought to your posts before you type? :h

By the looks of it a little more than you :B

et2
Explorer
Explorer
klutchdust wrote:
et2 wrote:
klutchdust wrote:
et2 wrote:

AND I said I understood and you felt a need to keep rambling on. The point was made, your post was nothing more than a "daddy knows best" attitude. After reading some of your posts I get the idea you seem to have some control issues. Get that checked out dude. I mean after all, what part of "I get it" don't you understand, if you need me to go slower I will.

The "what can it hurt crowd" Dude, you have no idea what you are talking about, now go put your head under the pillow until the fear subsides.....j ass

You asked what my point was and you got your answer. If you didn't want my answer don't ask or just ignore me. Then you proceed to joke about the chicken littles who didn't agree with ... A www shucks just try it crowd. Some "specifically" told you what happens.

Then here comes your name calling. Funny, then you claim I'm the one who has some "control issues" daddy knows best. Why the post or question then? its your stuff, just do what makes you happy. Maybe someone else will post a " you can't fix stupid" post detailing your mishap.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
et2 wrote:
klutchdust wrote:
et2 wrote:

Do you give any thought to your posts before you type? :h

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
We have done it a bunch of times over the years, flat and level with not much of a turn. Use two way radios, driver in the jeep tells the driver in the coach to put it in neutral, driver in Jeep puts it in reverse and pulls the coach backwards. No worries. I don't recommend people doing this, I'm just passing on how we do it whebn the situation warrants it.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

et2
Explorer
Explorer
Here's what the Blue Ox factory guys says about backing up 5:40 on video

http://youtu.be/k9dg6z2wX0k

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Some of you mite remember the days when the front ends of some cars would not track at all. We still always towed them w/ the steering wheel tied, just scrubbed a little rubber in the turns that all. I always built towbars, never had a one of them fail.
And even today, one of the tow dollys (is it Acme) has no turntable, and no steering built in. It is a rigid frame, and in the turns it scrubs a little rubber, (even tho they won't agree to that) works great otherwise..
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

et2
Explorer
Explorer
klutchdust wrote:
et2 wrote:

DouglasC
Explorer
Explorer
Having towed a car 4 wheels down for over 20 years, I agree with all the previous posters - - not a good idea to back up with the toad attached. However, there have been a few times when I did back up with the toad attached, generally no more than 2 or 3 feet but at least a couple of times as much as 6 or 7 feet - - and never experienced any problems.

I believe that the key is to back up the same way you drove forward into whatever situation you find yourselves. In other words, never turn the steering wheel in the motorhome to attempt to make the toad go anywhere other than where it has just been. If you follow that advice you will put the minimum amount of pressure on the tow bar.
Doug
2006 Jayco Greyhawk Model 27DS
Towing 2019 Ford Fusion Energi with Brake Buddy

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
RJsfishin wrote:
If I have to back up very far, (done it twice) I tie off the steering wheel to center, no problem what so ever.

I'll tell you right now, w/ the steering wheel tied off, if my tow bar and base plates won't w/stand the side forces of even dragging my Jeep around a corner, forward or backward, I'll junk pile it all and quit towing !!

Like some one said, if it will tear up the towbar, prove it.

Funny, there was a post recently where someone forgot to unlock their steering column and they drug their toad around for awhile until they

realized what happened. No damage to the tow bar. Suggest you MAY want to go in reverse and the chicken littles appear with their

warnings of doom and destruction. Amusing.

I need to do some repair on my steering column and will not replace the locking mechanism so I can avoid pulling the fuse and having to

leave a key in the ignition. I am sure there is some hidden danger in that...:B

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
If I have to back up very far, (done it twice) I tie off the steering wheel to center, no problem what so ever.

I'll tell you right now, w/ the steering wheel tied off, if my tow bar and base plates won't w/stand the side forces of even dragging my Jeep around a corner, forward or backward, I'll junk pile it all and quit towing !!

Like some one said, if it will tear up the towbar, prove it.
Rich

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
et2 wrote: