cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Backing up

LOFAT36
Explorer
Explorer
We have had 7 TT,s and a fifth wheel. We just traded our 5th in for a TT. Although many may disagree I find the trailer far easier to back in than my fifth wheel.
28 REPLIES 28

davidbt
Explorer
Explorer
I basically try to watch where my trailer tire's are going. Learned from backing up a cement mixer behind a flatbed utility work truck, usually couldn't see it, just had to bring it back into sight so I could see the where the tire's were going

tegu69
Explorer
Explorer
When the DW backs into a camping space, she gets the Back-up Assist whether she wants it or not, but she's learning.

RPreeb
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
Tvov wrote:
DallasSteve wrote:
Ford trucks have a backup steering knob on them now. With a backup camera to help line up the hitch and one of those backup knobs to steer it, you could train a chimp to park and hook-up a bumper-pull trailer.

What is the "backup steering knob"? They don't come with a "suicide ball", do they?

It is an option called backup assist.
Not something I would spend money on!

It comes with the tow package. If you are going to tow, you will get the Back-up Assist whether you want it or not. The other features in the tow package are pretty much necessary.
Rick
2016 F-150 XLT 4x4 3.5 EB
2017 Jay Feather X213

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Tvov wrote:
DallasSteve wrote:
Ford trucks have a backup steering knob on them now. With a backup camera to help line up the hitch and one of those backup knobs to steer it, you could train a chimp to park and hook-up a bumper-pull trailer.

What is the "backup steering knob"? They don't come with a "suicide ball", do they?

It is an option called backup assist.
Not something I would spend money on!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
DallasSteve wrote:

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
A short TT and a loooooong 5er are the 2 worst to back into a hole from a narrow road. To me anyway.
Puma 30RKSS

malexander
Explorer
Explorer
I pride myself on being able to back a trailer with ease. Be it a small utility trailer, car hauler, 40' gooseneck machine trailer, boat trailer, or a large enclosed trailer. But, the "hardest" trailer(s) I ever backed was my 5er. I never could figure out WHY I had so much trouble making it go where I wanted it to go. It dawned on me one day that the axles were actually farther forward than "normal". It didn't really make it any easier, but more manageable........I guess.
2007 Fleetwood Bounder 38N 330 Cat DP, 2008 GL1800 Goldwing, Cessna 150 & 172, Rans S6S Coyote, Vans RV9A. Lifetime NRA, EAA, Good Sam member

sele
Explorer
Explorer
What ever makes you happy is what is really important Thee have been times I back in perfectly and others where it s frustrating. but I like our f'ver. So again whatever you like and are comfortable with.
scott

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
As a single RVer, I've had to learn to back by myself. It involves a lot of walking back and looking at stuff, eyeballing what I'm likely to hit and where I want to be in the site. Then going slow and getting out to eyeball things again.

I'm eternally grateful for people who will help spot me. But I never expect that help.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

DE88ROX
Explorer
Explorer
Practice makes perfect.

But like what another poster said, backing up a 53' semi trailer with or without the axles slid all the way back, is a lot more easier than my 27' TT. Ive done both.
[COLOR=]TV- 2010 GMC Sierra Z71 EXT. cab
TT- 2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge235fb

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
ken56 wrote:
I have seen some people that shouldn't even be driving forward let alone backing up. I agree that the trick is to go slow and watch the very beck of the trailer for the proper movement AND understand which way to turn the steering. Stop and get out and look if you have to. My wife used to try to tell me which way to turn when backing into a site. After a few impatient moments I had to tell her to just tell me if I am going to hit something.... otherwise be quiet please. Things have been fine ever since.

X2!

Best to learn to back up WITHOUT a spotter, DW will watch for kids in the parks, or to be sure not to hit a tree or rock. I am about a 90% backer, 90% of the time I look great, the other 10% not so good!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

RPreeb
Explorer
Explorer
In my experience, the tendency with a TT is to oversteer that first turn, and then you spend a lot of time and back and forth getting the TT straightened back out again. It only takes a little turn to get it started, then crank back straight or the opposite way to keep from going into a jackknife angle.

It mostly takes practice and some common sense. My Dad hated it, always stressed himself out backing the little 15 footer they had back in the 60's. When I was 17 I took the wheel from him to try it for the first time and slid straight into the campsite. I had sort of figured out what NOT to do by watching him. :h
Rick
2016 F-150 XLT 4x4 3.5 EB
2017 Jay Feather X213

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
A TT is MUCH faster to respond than a 5er. Also they can be maneuvered in small spaces more easily.

The pivot point is over the trucks rear axle with a 5er and on the ball with a TT.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Go_Dawgs1
Explorer
Explorer
Been backing trailers of all sorts for 45 years. My dad wouldn't let me get my drivers license until I could back the boat down the alley only using the mirrors without stopping to pull forward to straighten out. Now when I back my 5er it took a great deal of practice to get it to turn when I wanted and to stop turning when I wanted. Usually go low and slow, as I call it, and get out many times to check. Don't have a DW or spotter. Backing is half the fun of Rving.
2004 Ford F350 Lariat 4x4 Dually
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303 RLS