cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bat Wing Antenna & Driving

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
I used to have a camper with the old style bat wing TV antenna, never drove with it up. Lately, I've noticed RV's of all types driving around with the bat wing antenna up. Are they designed for that?
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk
12 REPLIES 12

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
RobWNY wrote:
campigloo wrote:
RobWNY wrote:
I thought for sure they were supposed to be down when traveling. There are several reasons. Avoid having it torn off when going under bridges, avoid damage to the antenna from the wind forces, avoid air lift so the RV tires maintain ground contact.

And in the down position it interferes with my crime fighting.

Check on your Crime Fighting Utility Belt right next to the Grappling Hook. There should be a Deep Space tracking Beacon adapter that resolves that issue.

Thanks Rob!!! Iโ€™m going for a practice session tonight as soon as the sun goes down. Iโ€™m going to check that out!

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lwiddis wrote:
Too many forgot to crank down. New models are crank less.

The flying Jack comes in both crank up and non-crank models. it is half or less the antenna the Batwing is however (per independent tests done by a fellow forum member a while back)

I drove with my Batwing (A Sensar III with added wingman) up just one time.. and that is why my Antenna is a Sensar IV with built in wingman.

(IF you can't figure it out.> I had to replace it)
Thankfully that replacement IS within my skill set so it was easy to do.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
campigloo wrote:
RobWNY wrote:
I thought for sure they were supposed to be down when traveling. There are several reasons. Avoid having it torn off when going under bridges, avoid damage to the antenna from the wind forces, avoid air lift so the RV tires maintain ground contact.

Check on your Crime Fighting Utility Belt right next to the Grappling Hook. There should be a Deep Space tracking Beacon adapter that resolves that issue.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
RobWNY wrote:

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have almost driven off more than once with the antenna up. That final check is very valuable to not have unwanted issues. It is possible that you have just seen your share of new RV owners or renters that don't do that final check, or don't look up...

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
The old style batwing definitely needs to be down. At slow speeds the antenna can be torn off, bent or damaged by tree limbs, etc. At highway speeds, the wind and vibrations can damage the antenna, mount and even the camper roof.

If I use the batwing, I have a strip of red cloth I tie on the steering wheel as a reminder.

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
No, it's the old 3' in the air and 3' wide antenna.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
You are probably seeing this cheap junk that RV manufacturers are installing in place of a real antenna. Even some of the higher priced brands are stooping to this level. Never accept this at time of purchase if you want over the air TV.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Too many forgot to crank down. New models are crank less.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
Maybe you're seeing King Jack antenna installations that don't crank up and down like the batwing antennas.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
The old Wingard Sensor antenna was not to be left up.
There is newer very short batwings that are stationary.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker