Did you mean:ย 

Battery-AGM

Chase_WV
Explorer
Explorer
I was given 3 AGM type Batteries.
The following link is the exact battery I was given
https://www.power-solutions.com/batteries/cd-batteries/dynasty/ups12-400mr
I was wondering if any one has used this type of battery in a travel trailer situation. My trickle charger has the ability to charge this type of battery but will charger in the trailer be able to handle this type.
2017 Ram 3500 6.7 CTD
2012 Keystone Hideout 31RBDS (Reese Dual Cam WD)
25 REPLIES 25

jffnkrn
Explorer
Explorer
Twice the cost? Yep it is that around here too! The great southwest, Arizona. I spent $215 each for Duracell group 31 agm with 105 amp hours at batteries plus. These batteries have been great as well!!! yes a bit costly, and yes twice the amount. I had to go look them up. As i get older, i try to get quality stuff as the cost per year still works out about the same as the normal things. My experience, go on to the website for batteries plus, i got a coupon for internet pricing and still picked them up in the store. Good Luck & Be Safe ! ! !

I got 3 of those AGM Duracell batteries at sams club $179 each in Scottsdale and Chandler.

I did some checking on those and at the time, over a year ago, they didn't have them at my Sam's club. But it is what it is and i am good for a few years anyway. So be it, but we got what we got and so we now have what we have. I will definitely do some more research when the time comes. Good Luck & Be Safe ! ! !

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
jffnkrn wrote:
Twice the cost? Yep it is that around here too! The great southwest, Arizona. I spent $215 each for Duracell group 31 agm with 105 amp hours at batteries plus. These batteries have been great as well!!! yes a bit costly, and yes twice the amount. I had to go look them up. As i get older, i try to get quality stuff as the cost per year still works out about the same as the normal things. My experience, go on to the website for batteries plus, i got a coupon for internet pricing and still picked them up in the store. Good Luck & Be Safe ! ! !

I got 3 of those AGM Duracell batteries at sams club $179 each in Scottsdale and Chandler.

full_mosey
Explorer
Explorer
jffnkrn wrote:
Twice the cost? Yep it is that around here too! The great southwest, Arizona. I spent $215 each for Duracell group 31 agm with 105 amp hours at batteries plus.

In OKC, I can get those same batteries at Sams Club for $180.

A few of us in here are using 'telco pulls' which are used AGMs that are rotated out of UPS service. I have two 135AH ones that cost $95 each, no core charge. The vendor said they were 5yo when I got them in 2015.

HTH;
John

jffnkrn
Explorer
Explorer

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
We camp on both electric sites and drycamping sites. However, I hate equipment surprises .... especially out in the middle of nowhere when boondocking.

Quick charging, deep discharges if ever necessary and ultimately, reliability, are the name of the game when you need to be ready for anything or any type of campsite. I also don't like RV equipment surprises at home just before embarking on a trip. I want stuff to work and in the case of RV batteries, I don't want surprise acid fume damage or low cell water levels.

We will use AGM RV batteries until either lithium batteries or automatic fuel cell systems come down in price. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
A simplistic statement that doesn't always apply. For those of us who usually camp on electric sites, only occasionally may need to resort to battery power to keep us going for the duration of our stay, a much less costly flooded can serve the purpose just fine. Money alone doesn't always buy the best solution. :R

pianotuna wrote:
It is true a "power pole princess" can manage with just about any 12 volt battery, as they place few energy demands on the system.

Last time I checked I'm still a "prince", not a "princess". ๐Ÿ˜›
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I was supremely thankful to switch to AGM jars after spending 9 years having to sometimes lay down in snow to check electrolyte levels in seven flooded 12 volt units.

It is true a "power pole princess" can manage with just about any 12 volt battery, as they place few energy demands on the system. Even then, a case may be made for AGM, if there are any maintenance issues.

SoundGuy wrote:
A simplistic statement that doesn't always apply. For those of us who usually camp on electric sites, only occasionally may need to resort to battery power to keep us going for the duration of our stay, a much less costly flooded can serve the purpose just fine. Money alone doesn't always buy the best solution. :R
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
A BIT more costly? Don't I wish, here in Canada a deep cycle AGM can easily be TWICE the cost of a similarly size flooded from the same manufacturer.

pnichols wrote:
No different here .... I spend twice as much, or more, over liquid acid battery prices for my AGM batteries because I try to buy good AGMs.

You never regret buy quality - you just gotta figure out how to pay for it.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
SoundGuy wrote:
A BIT more costly? [emoticon] Don't I wish, here in Canada a deep cycle AGM can easily be TWICE the cost of a similarly size flooded from the same manufacturer. [emoticon]

No different here .... I spend twice as much, or more, over liquid acid battery prices for my AGM batteries because I try to buy good AGMs.

The engine starting AGM for my pickup was around $180, and the two deep cycle AGMs for our RV were over $300 each .... they weren't even Lifeline AGMs. Lifelines would have been even more. I had my fill of liquid acid batteries years ago.

You never regret buy quality - you just gotta figure out how to pay for it.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
jffnkrn wrote:
AGM are a bit more costly ...

A BIT more costly? :h Don't I wish, here in Canada a deep cycle AGM can easily be TWICE the cost of a similarly size flooded from the same manufacturer. ๐Ÿ˜ž

jffnkrn
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with the above comments. We have been using AGM for quite a few years now, on and off, but like anything we buy, "You get what you pay for". AGM are a bit more costly although since i have yet to clean up battery acid in my basement, have not smelled anything, they work well in different positions, they take vibration well, they discharge slow and recharge quick, and the list goes on. The one negative i have is they are heavy, but that is all. I will never go back to lead acid. WE have two 12 volts and never had an issue with running out of power even long over night with heater running on and off all night, recharge in morning with generator within a couple hours. All good for us! ! ! Good Luck & Be Safe ! ! !

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
jplante4 wrote:
Yeah, I don't get it. My starting batteries are and have been AGM. I'm pretty sure I don't have a 3 stage voltage regulator.

Same here in my 4X4 pickup - an AGM starting battery for maximum reliability. It's voltage regulator may or may not be a temperature compensating one ... I really don't know.

However, the Ford alternator/voltage regulator combination in our E450 Class C RV just might be a temperature compensating one. I monitor it's output into our RV's coach batteries when we're traveling. In cold weather it's output to the RV batteries is from the high 13's up to the mid 14's. In scorching hot weather it's output to the RV's coach batteries can be as low as only the high 12's.

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yeah, I don't get it. My starting batteries are and have been AGM. I'm pretty sure I don't have a 3 stage voltage regulator.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
The charge settings for AGM are very close to Flooded wet and Maintenance free, ENough so that as someone pointed out in cars they are basically interchangable..

Pic of a Deka Group 31 AGM battery ...

... showing temperature compensated charging is necessary, just as the manufacturer East Penn repeats in their AGM documentation, unlike flooded which do not require TC charging. Thanks, I'll stick with flooded. ๐Ÿ˜‰