cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Be Camping in NY this Season

pitch
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wife had her final day of work today. She was given a NYS Parks gift card with 300 dollars on it. Looks like we will be checking the state parks out this year.
5 REPLIES 5

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Yanno how you can ignore places close to home cuz you can get there whenever you want? Been doing that a lot w/ NYS of late, LOL. Still, I've fond memories. Adding to the list of good uns:

Taughannock Falls- spent a few lovely summers camping there as a quasi starving student at Cornell during the bad ol days when reservations weren't computerised. Great kid programs which made life easier for the ex as he watched the kiddos. Nice inn (can't recall the name)within the park for special occasion meals and brunch. Walks and trails, nicely marked out, of various duration and difficulty, that take you up and down the falls.

Buttermilk Falls- more strenuous trails; not so much for the sedentary. Typical Conservation Corp construction.

Saranac Lake Islands-not for RVing although you could prolly park it in the village but great boat access only campsites. Some of the islands only have one site per island. Truly nice if you crave solitude. Lower Saranac sites sre closest to town; mid sites are more secluded.

pitch
Explorer II
Explorer II
Watkins Glen is right in my backyard so we probably won't be going there. Niagara Falls is definitely on the list. Letchworth, I will never get tired of. I am going to have to do some research to see if DEC parks are included on the account.

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
NYS is a great place for the gift card, more good parks then you can shake a stick at. Adk's, 1000 Islands, Finger Lakes, Niagara, Lake George, Catskills, Letchworth...

Hmmm, guess I've done more camping in NYS then I had thought.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
Watkins glen, only one electric look...walk the glen
Hamlin beach state park.

For the most part at least the ones we have visited the bathrooms at NY state parks are pretty dated...

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
You didn't say which areas of NY you're interested in, but two of our favorites are Robert Moses State Park near Massena, NY, on the shore of the St Lawrence Seaway close to the Eisenhower Lock, and Four Mile Creek State Park on the shore of Lake Ontario near Niagara Falls. Your stay there also gets you into the Niagara Falls parking lots at no charge.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate