cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bearing repack - hub noises?

penguin149
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in the process of putting new tires on my TT and will do bearing maintenance at the same time. Got one of the wheels off; when I spin the hub, it makes a dragging, scraping sound. The hub stops after about 1/4 of a turn. I'm pulling the hub tomorrow and inspecting, repacking, etc. Does this sound like a bearing or brake issue? Or is this normal? It's a single axle Jayco with a 3500# EZ lube Dexter hub.
2021 Nissan Titan Pro-4X 5.6L V8 4WD - 2019 Keystone Bullet 243BHS
26 REPLIES 26

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
It's normal for drum brakes to make an intermittent dragging scraping sound when turned by hand. Bearings have to be really bad to make any noise and even then it's usually a rumble not a scrape and occurs at high speeds.

But no matter what, you'll know when you pull it apart. Just inspect the bearing rollers and matching raceway for pits.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Strongly disagree with the above post. The problem isn't the electric brake. The brakes's star wheel is adjusted too tight, which is why the wheel isn't turning, the brakes are too tight. I can back off the star wheel sufficiently so that there is no noise at all when the tire freely spins, which shows the electric brake doesn't make noise like the tight brakes do. And the electric brake has no juice to it so it's not going to cause a tight brake.

While you're there check the adjustment of the castle nut, which holds your wheel together. It should be hand tightened then backed off to the first hole the cotter pin can go through. Too many people over tighten the castle nut and the bearings fail. This process is only for trailer brakes.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Bird Freak wrote:
Sounds like brake to me. Bearing would be more of a growling sound.

Concur ! Also a bearing going bad will actually spin fairly well.
A bearing bad enough to make noise is not going to "spin fairly well".
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Could be the magnet dragging on the drum like dodge guy said.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Bird Freak wrote:

Concur ! Also a bearing going bad will actually spin fairly well.

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
Ok people. Electric brakes will make a noise when turned. The magnet is in contact with the drum by a spring. It rides along the drum until the brake controller sends a signal for current. Then it drags harder against the drum and increases braking proportiently. So it's normal to hear a scraping/dragging noise when turning. The drum will not freewheel because of this. It does sound like it may be slightly adjusted too much. You should be able to freely turn it with a couple fingers and not much effort.

/\ /\ what he said
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ok people. Electric brakes will make a noise when turned. The magnet is in contact with the drum by a spring. It rides along the drum until the brake controller sends a signal for current. Then it drags harder against the drum and increases braking proportiently. So it's normal to hear a scraping/dragging noise when turning. The drum will not freewheel because of this. It does sound like it may be slightly adjusted too much. You should be able to freely turn it with a couple fingers and not much effort.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
โ€œSounds like out of round brake drum. Might take them in for turning while apart!โ€

Excellent suggestion.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Sounds like out of round brake drum. Might take them in for turning while apart!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
"Does this sound like a bearing or brake issue?"

Yes. ๐Ÿ™‚

It could very easily be either. Brake dragging, or bearing running dry.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Brake to me. Please let us know.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad