cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best Ex-Pat area for full time residency

jesseannie
Explorer
Explorer
We are considering moving out of the US to experience another part of the world. We have thought of Mexico, Costa Rico, Belize, Panama each one has plusses and minuses. When reading the blogs it seems a lot of posters are real estate people trying to make a buck.
Do any on this forum have some first or second hand experience to share?

Thanks
Jesseannie
53 REPLIES 53

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmm. Tough question. We have seen a fair amount of the world and would love the opportunity to live in at least a few of the places we have seen. Sooo, in no particular order and for various reasons,

San Miguel de Allende in Mexico. Culture, people, climate is perpetual spring time, things to do, facilities, medical etc etc.

San Sebastian Spain, for all of the above reasons although hotter in the summer. Close to France, Germany, Switzerland etc. However, you can only get a visa for 3 months at a time so three months in and three months out.

Tangiers Morocco, again for all the above reasons but you can stay 6 months at a time with the right paperwork. Excellent compliment to spain though as you can live in tangiers for 3 or 4 months and then go back to spain. Morocco is a very cool country with lots to see and do AND LEARN. Honestly it would be a great immersion experience for Arabic..however the country functions equally in french so one might find that a little easier to learn first. We would like to think we will live there once we are retired. Time will tell.

I think a few months at a time in one of the many smaller river towns would be nice. Again, three months in and three months out (of the Schengen zone) and again the off times could be spent in Morocco.

Many seem to be attracted to Costa Rica or Belize but although we think Costa Rica is a must visit it wouldn't be high on the list. Belize would be on the bottom, I think some choose Belize because it is English speaking (the only english speaking country in central/south america. But not our thing.

If you are planning on learning a language that will probably be useful in your newly adapted country, LEARN SPANISH. It is the second most spoken language in the world (in terms of how many speak it after mandarin), not hard to learn, lots of resources on line, and is readily spoken in many parts of the world. We found spanish speakers in Italy, France, Portugal and much of europe. In the north of Morocco it was commonly spoken and in Tangiers it was spoken as readily as french.

Re culture and language when living in another country:, NEVER give up your language or your culture...EVER. Enhance your life by embracing and respecting the language and culture of your new home but never give up your own and never let anyone tell you need to give up anything to become part of your new society. Culture and language are what make the world a rich and interesting place.

Oh, and learning other languages is an excellent way to keep your mind young. I am 55, speak four languages reasonably fluently and am working on number 5. All learned since I was fourty. I'll stop when I'm dead. ๐Ÿ™‚ I have nothing against english speaking people (its my native language) but I sure wouldn't want to live among them if I was wanting to broaden my horizons. We are 5 years from retirement. We will be going down that same road you are right now. Where to live. But probably for only 6 months to a year at a time. Then time to move on. Life is short, death is long, experience all you can.

Happy hunting. Get a passport and start exploring.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

fulltimedaniel
Explorer
Explorer
RPreeb wrote:
I've never lived anywhere that required me to speak anything other than English. If I had, I'd have made whatever effort was necessary to learn the local lingo. We lived for 2 years in the Bahamas, where they do speak English. I've visited quite a few other countries, but no longer have any desire to live anywhere but the US. I took 3 years of high school French, and could probably pick it back up if I needed it, but I don't need it.

When I go into a store or restaurant and I can't understand the server because their English is marginal at best, it can be a problem. If it's someone who is a new immigrant, then it's excusable. If it's someone who has lived here for a long time, or even was born here and still can't speak decent English, then I take exception to it. Learning the native language is often the first step to really understanding a culture.

No matter what the liberal opinion is, English is the language in the US, and by lobbying for second (or multiple) language support, all that is accomplished is to encourage the racial and ethnic separation which leads to divisive racism. Cultural diversity is a good thing as long as it's understood that one's ethnic culture must be secondary to the culture of the nation or region where one is living.

I realize that there is far more to racism than just cultural diversity, but encouraging and promoting such separatism just adds fuel to the racist - or the so-called America First - doctrine. I don't condone or espouse their foolishly narrow-minded view of the world, but I also don't see any good reason to give them easy excuses to justify their philosophy.

I would remind you of your history. For much of this country's early history more people spoke French and Spanish than English. The French all along the Mississippi and westward. At the same time Spain held most of what is now Texas, New Mexico Arizona parts of Utah and California. Later Russian was the "official" language of much of coastal Alaska from the Aleutians down through South East Alaska.

And this is to say nothing of the hundreds of Native Languages that were here for thousands of years before those illegal immigrants, our European forefathers landed and took this land.

And during WWII it was one of those native languages Dina or Navaho that confounded the Japanese and helped us win the war. The Navaho Code Talkers.

Our Nation does NOT have an official language. English is NOT our official language.

This country was founded on and by people who spoke a variety of languages.

As I said previously, Humility, patience and understanding...and it wouldn't hurt to know some history to put it all in context.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
RandACampin wrote:
NYCgrrl wrote:

OUR culture and OUR language is NOT native American......enough said.

:S enough said!

Whaaaaaaaaaa?...do you need me to fill in all the blanks?
I speak many forms of English:W.

RPreeb
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
Before we complain about what language people speak in the US, it would probably help if the US actually had an official language...

+1
Rick
2016 F-150 XLT 4x4 3.5 EB
2017 Jay Feather X213

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Before we complain about what language people speak in the US, it would probably help if the US actually had an official language...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

NJRVer
Explorer
Explorer
People will assimilate to their own cultural neighborhoods.
My lineage is Polish and when my grandfather came her in the late 1800's he settled in the Polish neighborhood. There were Italian neighborhoods and German neighborhoods too.

My wife's lineage is Italian and her grand parents did the same thing, settled with other Italians.

People may have gone to work during the day, but when they came home they came back to little Poland.
No different than today, with whatever country the immigrants came from.

As a kid I could barely understand a word my grandfather said to me because of his accent. When he talked with my mother and aunts and uncles it was all Polish.

It takes the second generation to actually assimilate to society.

I work in an area with a LOT of Indian and Pakistani immigrants. The immigrants are still in with their cultural traditions. Their kids, they are about as "Americanized" as you can get.

RideSlow
Explorer
Explorer
Since we are already used to the thought of living small, what about being on a boat in the Caribbean? I haven't really seriously looked at it, because my better half is not interested, but it is an option, I would think.
2007 Dodge Ram QC 4x4 6.7 CTD 3500 SRW
2014 Stealth AK2612 TH
2004 HD Ultra Classic

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
"Press 1 for English, Press 2 for Spanish":W
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Aridon
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe you need a hearing aid?

Seriously though, 26 years in foreign countries and never learned a language and then complain about people here? Sorry but that is pretty ridiculous.

Perhaps you should broaden yourself and try and learn a second language as an adult before you talk about how someone doesn't speak English as a second or third language well enough as they try and get by working legally in our land.

Honestly if people weren't so quick to pick up stones things would be a lot better. Try and have a little compassion. I'm pretty sure if I dropped you off in South America somewhere not a base and you tried to work your way through it would be quite frustrating and difficult. They are here, learning the language and working. Doing better than people that are born here as far as I'm concerned.

Trust me, when your family came here on the boat, there were plenty of people that looked at them like a poop stain on the carpet. Was wrong then and wrong now.

You spent 26 years in foreign lands and never learned a language, now complain about people that may have been here a year or two don't speak yours well enough. Pot meet kettle.
2019 Grand Design Momentum 395
2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10

2014.5 DRV Atlanta (sold)

2008 Newmar 4330 (Modified) Sold

RPreeb
Explorer
Explorer
fulltimedaniel wrote:
RPreeb wrote:
fulltimedaniel wrote:
RandACampin wrote:
PawPaw_n_Gram wrote:
... You are a guest wanting to be a local - so you are the one who must change your mindset and way of thinking...

If only people would do that when they come to this country!

I am not sure that this as you infer is the case at all. I believe that most of the folks that immigrate here or are refugees, want desperately to fit in to their new country and try hard to do so.

My bet is you have never lived or worked overseas and had to adapt to a completely different culture, script (such as Khmer or Arabic) language and even things like traffic laws.

I can tell you from experience it is NOT EASY. It takes time.

I would also remind you that their are still Polish Radio stations in the Chicago and Michigan areas that sprang up with the immigration from that part of Europe in the late 1800's into the early 20th century. All over this country European immigrants and their offspring celebrate their original culture in festivals and religious ceremonies.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with keeping in touch with your mother culture.

However, people who come here with no plans to make any effort to embrace OUR culture or learn OUR language and then expect us to bend over backwards to accommodate them are the ones I take issue with. That see-saw rocks both ways.

I'd be interested to know how you judge such a thing? How do you know what a persons intentions are or how they feel?

And what kind of criteria are you using to define "embracing" our culture?

And how many languages do you speak? And how long did it take you to learn them.

I speak Khmer, Arabic, Spanish, English, I was pretty conversational in Thai and a bit better than that in Bahasa Indonesia. In the Peace Corp I had to learn 3 languages at ONE TIME two west African dialects Mende and Temne and Creole (a mixture of English Portuguese and some local dialects)

Now I dont speak all of these anymore and haven't spoken some for 30 years or more. The reason I bring it up is because I know learning a new language is tough. It's hard work. And just because you hear someone speaking in their native tongue to another may be a cultural issue more than a language one. I also know how hard it is to be in a strange country and have to try to navigate the language and culture. I can tell you first hand how at the end of the day of trying to speak another language, and not make a total fool of yourself, your head wants to explode.

A little patience, humility and understanding can go a long way.

I've never lived anywhere that required me to speak anything other than English. If I had, I'd have made whatever effort was necessary to learn the local lingo. We lived for 2 years in the Bahamas, where they do speak English. I've visited quite a few other countries, but no longer have any desire to live anywhere but the US. I took 3 years of high school French, and could probably pick it back up if I needed it, but I don't need it.

When I go into a store or restaurant and I can't understand the server because their English is marginal at best, it can be a problem. If it's someone who is a new immigrant, then it's excusable. If it's someone who has lived here for a long time, or even was born here and still can't speak decent English, then I take exception to it. Learning the native language is often the first step to really understanding a culture.

No matter what the liberal opinion is, English is the language in the US, and by lobbying for second (or multiple) language support, all that is accomplished is to encourage the racial and ethnic separation which leads to divisive racism. Cultural diversity is a good thing as long as it's understood that one's ethnic culture must be secondary to the culture of the nation or region where one is living.

I realize that there is far more to racism than just cultural diversity, but encouraging and promoting such separatism just adds fuel to the racist - or the so-called America First - doctrine. I don't condone or espouse their foolishly narrow-minded view of the world, but I also don't see any good reason to give them easy excuses to justify their philosophy.
Rick
2016 F-150 XLT 4x4 3.5 EB
2017 Jay Feather X213

RandACampin
Explorer
Explorer
NYCgrrl wrote:

:S enough said!
HEY CHECK IT OUT!! http://www.rvingoutpost.com

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
RPreeb wrote:
fulltimedaniel wrote:
RandACampin wrote:
PawPaw_n_Gram wrote:
... You are a guest wanting to be a local - so you are the one who must change your mindset and way of thinking...

I am not sure that this as you infer is the case at all. I believe that most of the folks that immigrate here or are refugees, want desperately to fit in to their new country and try hard to do so.

My bet is you have never lived or worked overseas and had to adapt to a completely different culture, script (such as Khmer or Arabic) language and even things like traffic laws.

I would also remind you that their are still Polish Radio stations in the Chicago and Michigan areas that sprang up with the immigration from that part of Europe in the late 1800's into the early 20th century. All over this country European immigrants and their offspring celebrate their original culture in festivals and religious ceremonies.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with keeping in touch with your mother culture.

However, people who come here with no plans to make any effort to embrace OUR culture or learn OUR language and then expect us to bend over backwards to accommodate them are the ones I take issue with. That see-saw rocks both ways.

Yes, to humility, patience and comprehension.

fulltimedaniel
Explorer
Explorer
RPreeb wrote:
fulltimedaniel wrote:
RandACampin wrote:
PawPaw_n_Gram wrote:

I'd be interested to know how you judge such a thing? How do you know what a persons intentions are or how they feel?

And what kind of criteria are you using to define "embracing" our culture?

And how many languages do you speak? And how long did it take you to learn them.

I speak Khmer, Arabic, Spanish, English, I was pretty conversational in Thai and a bit better than that in Bahasa Indonesia. In the Peace Corp I had to learn 3 languages at ONE TIME two west African dialects Mende and Temne and Creole (a mixture of English Portuguese and some local dialects)

Now I dont speak all of these anymore and haven't spoken some for 30 years or more. The reason I bring it up is because I know learning a new language is tough. It's hard work. And just because you hear someone speaking in their native tongue to another may be a cultural issue more than a language one. I also know how hard it is to be in a strange country and have to try to navigate the language and culture. I can tell you first hand how at the end of the day of trying to speak another language, and not make a total fool of yourself, your head wants to explode.

A little patience, humility and understanding can go a long way.

JT
Explorer
Explorer
(With the exception of a very few posts) this is one of the most interesting topics in any category that I've ever read on this forum! Thanks for the thoughtful, considered, and civil reporting of personal experiences! ๐Ÿ™‚

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
Southern Portuguese coast.

http://www.expatexchange.com/slide/4463/92/Portugal/Expats-in-Portugal-5-Best-Places-to-Retire-in-Po...
2013 LTV Unity MB Theater Seats
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote
Koni Shocks F & R, Hellwig 7254, SumoSprings F & R
2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox Aladdin/Patriot