cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

best place to buy a surge protector

bertrand
Explorer
Explorer
Because some resort have surcharge of power I'm told I should get a surge protector. Where can I buy one and what brand name should I get? I'm from Vancouver Island, Canada.
20 REPLIES 20

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I bought direct and I would do the same if spending money today.

https://www.progressiveindustries.net/our-products

I recommend the full EMS power protection models.

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
Another happy owner of a PI here fwiw.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are two major brands and multiple types in both brands

TRC (now Southwire) Sure Guard is warrnted for 1 year I am on my 2nd one.. Camping world currently has them on sale and that is what made my decision (price)

I would rather have Progressive Industries HW-50-C (or HW-30-C for a 30 amp rig)
These are warranted so long as I own them.

Now installed (HW) or portable (PT)
I like the installed because it's always there. I never forget it, It's never "too much trouble" and it never "Grows legs" and walks off while I'm at church.

But it does have to be installed (more in a bit)

Second. there are lower cost ones.. Avoid. There are many that have a few lights and a mess of MOVs (metal oxcide varisistors) these do a fair job of clipping spikes but if the park is high. or low on voltage.. They do not do much for you .. Plug in to a 30 amp outlet that's 240 volt they sound like firecrackers.

The more expensive onews likew the HW-50-C protect you PLUS they either are set or can be set (HW-xx-C can be set) to a delay of just shy of 3 minutes.

That means if you get a POWER BLINK (like a one second outage) it will hold you off for most of 3 minutes. This gives your Air Conditioners time to restart normally and the roller coaster of park voltage as everybody else's tries to restart with a full head of pressure time to "Pull into the station" and level off.

Now.. I also have a HUGHES autoformer (to fix low voltage) I "Installed" it as well.

Install for the Hughes is as follows
Remove Shore line from Auto Transvfer Switch or breaker box and put an outlet on the end. (THe hughes will plug into it ... later)

PUt a pigtail where you just unhooked from (This plugs into the hughes)

I did a "portable conversion" on my Installed Surge guard by adding pigtails.

IT plugs into the hughes (So it does not drop out if the autoformer is correcting low voltage) then the pigtail that DID plug into the hughes plugs into it. Easy to remove if I ever need to is a plus.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Progressive Industries X 2. Had one and it failed. Contacted the manufacturer and they replaced it. No questions asked, just sent a photo of the plug and received a new one.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
You might also read about autoformers that can raise voltage to an acceptable level.

https://hughesautoformers.com/autoformer-university/why-do-you-need-an-autoformer/
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think you mean surges. Progressive Industries have a range of devices.

Surges mean electrical transients and haven't been a issue for me. However low voltage and other electrical issues are much more common. Energy Management Systems protect against these problems of of course cost more. I have the PI HW50C (hard wired), portable units are available as are 30A units.

You can search thousands of posts on this board on this subject
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob