cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best Sealant for SIDES (Vertical) portions of trailer?

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
In the past, I have personally resealed all of my previous trailers and motorhome roofs. I am fairly handy and do most of the maintenance work myself (home, boats, trailers, etc).

Since I am not too fond of heights... and my older age....I do not want to risk injury performing this service....therefore....

I am having the roof completely serviced on the new to me 2009 Tahoe Toyahauler. This will include Dicor lap sealant on all protruding items (14" air vents, plumbing vents, etc.) and a complete roof sealant (Dicor sealant applied to entire EPDM roof membrane). I will also have them install all new 14" plastic vents (4) and Max Air II covers over all vents (4).

When I get it back from this service I would like to seal ALL items that are on sides of trailer (vertical sections) from the top roof (rain gutter) to the bottom edge between trim that separates the rock guard from the fiberglass sides of trailer, and all clearance lights, porch light, and ANYTHING screwed to side of trailer.

With that said, over the past several years I have used the following two sealants for VERTICAL surfaces:

1. Dicor NON-Self Leveling sealant
2. GeoCel ProFlex clear sealant

QUESTIONS:

A. Are these still (1 and 2 above) the preferred sealants for vertical surfaces?

B. Are there other sealants that have proven more advanced than these sealants?

c. What tips/suggestions/advice can you share about sealing all of the vertical surfaces I have mentioned above?

Thanks!
2023 GMC, 3500HD, Crew Cab, 6.6L Gas/6 Speed Auto, 4X4, Standard Bed; SRW
2011 Outback 250RS - Anniversary Edition
Equal-i-zer 10K
7 REPLIES 7

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
loggenrock wrote:
Last season I discovered Lexel, available at Home Depot. Flexible, crystal clear.

And unlike other caulks that you have to remove to do a repair, Lexel will stick to lexel, so you can go over it to do a small repair.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

buc1980
Explorer
Explorer
I try Dicor for vertical seal and I am not impress.I try the reputation of Dicor and they let me down.I think to remove it and use Geocel pro flex RV after I read about it.Don't use Dicor .
2017 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,16750 lb weight on SAILUN tire,6 points LIPPERD Level-up.New Mor/ryde IS suspension install.Full body paint 2022.RV flex roof 2023

badboy368
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing but Pro-Flex for me.
40' pusher,350 turbo cat, pullin a 37' trailer haulin a drag car. oh yea baby

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
Last season I discovered Lexel, available at Home Depot. Flexible, crystal clear.
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

garym114
Explorer II
Explorer II
GeoCel ProFlex sealant for vertical surfaces, comes in colors, easy to smooth out.
2000 Sea Breeze F53 V10 - CR-V Toad
Some RV batteries live a long and useful life, some are murdered.
Get a Digital Multimeter and Learn How to Use It

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Coming from the marine world my usual goto products for water sealing are marine ones.

Try to be neat about it by taping either side of joint area, applying product, run an ice cube along the bead to make it smooth & remove tape shortly after before the product cures.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995