cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best small electric heaters

kaz442
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for a small electric heater. What are the safest models?
Thanks JKaz
1989 26' Jayco class C E350 460cu
46 REPLIES 46

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer wrote:
If you are able to do a bit of wiring, another option altogether is to install a "kickspace" heater below the range. This particular brand is the same width as the stove. I just removed the original piece of wood between the door and range and moved the door down a little. With a heater like this, it's completely out of the way and has all the required safety clearances. The location of your panel could be a deciding factor tho. If needed, wiring can be run through a ceiling and inside interior wall cavities. This heater is very quiet and you can listen to the TV no problem.

Great solution! Got a brand name / model for that heater? :@
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Road_Dog
Explorer
Explorer
I have been using a Vornado for6 years. The best I have found after owning all the others. It's quiet and yet it moves the air all over the coach. I think I paid $79. Great product!

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are able to do a bit of wiring, another option altogether is to install a "kickspace" heater below the range. This particular brand is the same width as the stove. I just removed the original piece of wood between the door and range and moved the door down a little. With a heater like this, it's completely out of the way and has all the required safety clearances. The location of your panel could be a deciding factor tho. If needed, wiring can be run through a ceiling and inside interior wall cavities. This heater is very quiet and you can listen to the TV no problem.

A remote thermostat would be the best but you can install a built-in thermostat on the face of these heaters. As Chris Bryant mentioned, it'd be a good idea to provide a dedicated circuit. A heater is probably going to run non-stop much or all of the time in cold weather. Coiling up the cord or putting a mat over it is not good and could cause overheating of the cord.

You might want to install a wall switch so you can shut a heater off while you run a hair dryer or kitchen appliances.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
As you are asking for the safest models, I would suggest installing and wiring a dedicated heater outlet, using spec grade outlet in a real box. I do not like using a steady high current draw item on the OEM self contained outlets- IMHO they are dangerous for that use.
-- Chris Bryant

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I use a 1200 watt radiator style. I like the idea of being a little bit less than maximum draw on the circuit.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
mike-s wrote:
I'll add that all electric heaters are 100% efficient, every watt which goes in comes out as heat. So don't fall for "high efficiency" marketing claims.

Haha, I love this statement ๐Ÿ™‚

I hope whomever marketing drone thought up the idea to advertise their electric heaters as being high efficiency got a nice bonus for that one.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
Any electric heater really should have a "tip over shut off protection switch" feature and a separate "over heat cutoff switch" also. Tungsten or ceramic element included. Having a high and low range heat selection is very handy and very smart too. It basically eliminates drastic temp changes of local areas where the heater is located and hot and cold and drafts created issues.

Low heat selection is usually between 750 and 1000 watts and some heaters even have 3 heat wattage selections which isn't all bad. We've been using various electric heaters in our many various type RV's since 1965 and they do a fine job. With ceramic heaters, it's a must to keep the dust filter screen on the rear very clean or they become very inefficient due to restricted air flow and will even shut down as they will quickly over heat.

I always check all electric heaters purchased for actual watts consumed on all heat selections with either a Kill-A-Watt or other watt meter and write the actual watts consumed on the heater's back with a marker for each heat selection. Never yet had even one electric heater actually use even near 1500 watts on high as most are in the 1350 - 1400 watts actually consumed. Holmes, Pelonis, Vornado, etc ALL!

Therefore, they are not actually giving 5120 BTU's like the packaging says as that is what 1500 watts actually can/will produce. Also knowing the watts consumed at all heat selections basically tells you how many BTU's the heater is supplying. True electric heat output capability when heating 100% of the time for all practical purposes using 117 AC is approx 340 BTU's for each 100 watts consumed. 1500 watts = 5120 BTU's capability, 1000 watts = 3400 BTU's, 750 watts = 2550 BTU's. Just for a quick reference.

Even heat circulation is far more desirable than hot spot local heating. This is where a lower wattage setting cube heater shines more like an oil filled heater. As for fan noise? It varies greatly with different brands and even in the same brand of heaters. Fan balance etc makes so much difference as does the rubber/elastic vibration dampening feet under the heat cube. We plug in every cube fan forced electric heater at the store before we buy the heater and listen to it. Only once did a store refuse to allow us to do so and we walked away. We like very quiet running heaters but don't care for the extra room an oil filled heater needs even though they are the quietest type! Especially in our truck campers where floor space is so limited. A working smoke detector or 2 is also very important to have too! NO excuses!
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
petrel wrote:
I just read a few glowing reviews on the Vornado brand.
The Vornado is one of the best. There are two considerations with portable electric heaters: 1. generating the heat, and 2. distributing the heat. The Vornado does an excellent job of quietly distributing the heat it generates. The oil filled radiator type heaters, while very quiet, depend on natural convection to distribute the heat. Therefore, they will not quickly heat a chilled area, nor will they heat areas that are blocked by doorways, hallways, etc. The little cube heaters produce heat nicely, but their noisy little fans do no more than move the heat away from the heater itself to keep it from overheating.

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
I use a ceramic heater, we tried to use two but it got to hot so we put one in storage and only use one, ours has a thermostat, has the switch that turns it off if it falls over, uses very little electricity, costs very little (under $30.00) and is quiet...We bought these long ago so I do not remember the name but I am sure we purchased them at Wally World. I take ours out to the shop prior to winter and blow the dust out and clean the small filter. We seldom have to use the furnace as the small heater warms us up nicely.
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
WTP-GC wrote:
When we had a 1995 Coleman 25' TT, we used the following heater...We use infared heaters in the house to reduce the need for the actual heating system, but they have a significant power draw. I would not be inclined to use it in an RV because I'd be afraid it would trip the breakers.
IR heaters don't use more power. The heater you use in the RV runs only at 1500 watts, and there aren't many space heaters of any type which use more. The same manufacturer makes an infrared one which is selectable 750/1500 W (Holmes HQH307-NU).

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
We have 2 small "Polonis" type box heaters we use in opposite ends of our 32' MH. Enough to keep the propane heater from coming on most nights. Have had them for years. They are both 1500 watt and work well. Noise? much less that the big heater for the rig! Both of ours automatically turn off if they tip over. No exposed coils, etc so very limited risk of fire IMHO. Just follow basic safety precautions (keep away from anything flammable!) and should be no problems.
Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
When we had a 1995 Coleman 25' TT, we used the following heater:

Holmes Space Heater

It has a thermostat and is way quieter than typical roof mounted AC units. I'm a light sleeper and didn't have any trouble with this. It made our TT warm and cozy in very cold weather.

We use infared heaters in the house to reduce the need for the actual heating system, but they have a significant power draw. I would not be inclined to use it in an RV because I'd be afraid it would trip the breakers.
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
mike-s wrote:
Choose one based on your desires - size, weight, watts, looks, safety, cost, fan, thermostat, etc.

And the amount of noise - or more correctly the lack of noise - it makes. Many if not most fan driven electric heaters are quite noisy, not so noticeable during the day but in the still of the night at 2am become really tiresome to listen to. Years ago I lucked out finding this almost silent Bionaire ceramic heater ...

This particular model is no longer made but I suspect Bionaire offers one similar in the current lineup.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

petrel
Explorer
Explorer
I just read a few glowing reviews on the Vornado brand.
43' Renegade/Coronado '06
2017 F450
2001 Ford Excursion PSD
1997 F350 Crew Cab PSD

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
I'll add that all electric heaters are 100% efficient, every watt which goes in comes out as heat. So don't fall for "high efficiency" marketing claims.

I like the small ceramic heaters - the heating element doesn't get as hot as the old nichrome wire heaters, which makes them a bit safer. Some of them have a lower power setting. All UL listed space heaters are required to have "tip over" safety shutoffs.

Infrared heaters (quartz or dish) are nice too, since they "project" the heat instead of just heating the room, so you can feel warmer in a cold room when sitting in front of one. But, they may not be what you consider small.

Choose one based on your desires - size, weight, watts, looks, safety, cost, fan, thermostat, etc.

Here are the most popular ones on Amazon.