cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best state for registering an RV

AllenTC2
Explorer
Explorer
Just got back from a lengthy (7,055 miles) vacation/work trip. Not RVing, unless you count camping out of the back of a Subaru Forester. ๐Ÿ™‚ I went to check out Terlingua for its potential to be a retirement spot. What really struck me was the drive from Terlingua to Monument Valley and MV to Astoria, OR (where the work part was). There is a TON of stuff to see/do in the US....and that's not including Canada, Alaska, Mexico, etc. It really reinforced my interest in full-timing in an RV.

That said, it still seems smart to have a home base, even if that home base is no more than a place to park the RV in the shade and hook up utilities.

Now I've been a fan of Texas since I was stationed there, and it remains at the top of my list due to climate and the fact they don't tax military retirement income. But where do they stand as far as taxing purchases and property, like RVs? Which states do the best in this regard?
7 REPLIES 7

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We use S Dakota after researching costs.

skipro
Explorer
Explorer
I was talking to a couple who full-time and they were sold on South Dakota. He said that there are so many MH's registered there that they have an office in the state DMV that does nothing else.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
We lived in a KOA for 60 days some years ago while our house was being built. Just about all the trailers had TX tags and their tow vehicle had my state tags on them.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

steve-n-vicki
Explorer
Explorer
travel trailer or 5th wheel one time fee permanent plates are around $45 in Arkansas and if you are a disabled vet, no personal property tax,

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
You could google state sales taxes and state vehicle registration fees. Some states have value taxes on vehicles so you pay a tax on the vehicle every year when you tag it others don't. Some states have no income tax but they tax you on property and sales. If you think you can beat all taxes you a dreamer. Just pick the one that will do you the most.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
Kudos to you for looking ahead of time. Taxes, insurance cost, vehicle registration all play a part in the choice as does mail handling. We have setteled on SD.
Mail forwarding can be handeled from either rather easily. SD also only requires a single day to establish residency, so that can be handeled efficiently, no having to rent someplace for a month or so. SD has no personal property taxes or state income taxes. If you dont plan on going back to your domicile often, they also dont require a state inspection on your vehicle annually emissions or otherwise.
Check www.escapees.com
and check out You tube, there are quite a few videos on the subject.
Happy motorin

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Buy and domicile in a no sales tax state and then after six months move to Florida... no income tax and a two year MH tag is $155.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...