cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best time to purchase?

bogie514
Explorer
Explorer
We are back on the TT market and are shopping with another couple who are looking at the same campers we are. They are dead set on buying a camper before the 1st of the year. Is this a good time to get the best price on a new camper? When we go to the dealerships it seems like there are relatively few customers in the showrooms.
2021 Grand Design Transcend 240ML
2017 GMC Sierra 1500, 4wd, 5.3L, Crew Cab, Standard Bed, Heavy Duty Tow Package
Equil-I-zer hitch
15 REPLIES 15

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Buy summer toys in the fall & winter toys in the spring. Don't forget to factor in at least 6 months storage that will be yours to pay or negotiate into the price.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

jergeod
Explorer
Explorer
Within the next 10 days.
George & Jerri
USMC VET
Jayco Eagle 339 flqs
upstate NY

temccarthy1
Explorer
Explorer
Best time to buy an RV ( or a boat) is in NOV and DEC, their slowest time! Look for a leftover of that year-- like right now a 2015... We bought a 2014 Bullet 285RLS last Nov and got the dealer to take another $5000 off his sale price as well as throw in a WD hitch, brake controller and electric tongue jack after we got the lowest price and sat it out a couple days... There was a 2015 same model right next to it and he wouldn't budge. No one else was there that day buying and we had the full attention of the Sales Mgr. Don't wait until Jan and Feb shows because you will be looking at 2016 new models and will be competing with many buyers... Most important to find the right floor plan and then find a leftover new one. Check out the Bullet line of Ultralights.. have had ZERO issues with ours in first year and I have seen only positive comments from other Bullet owners on this forum! Good luck!
Tim, Ramona and dog Scruffy
1982 Coleman Sun Valley PUP (retired)
2014 Keystone Bullet 285RLS Ultralite TT
2013 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L Triton V8
Equalizer E2 hitch

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
And one last thought, think about registration dues right after your Christmas payments come in.

TNRIVERSIDE
Explorer
Explorer
I found the best prices at major RV showes.I know some will disagree. But this is MY experience. I got the show deal on a ordered unit. I got the deal I wanted on a unit with the options I wanted.
2014 Coleman CTS192RD. 2009 F150 4X4, 5.4, 3.31
Jeff

Homer1
Explorer
Explorer
Remember the dealer is under the most pressure to reduce his inventory in the off season. If you are one of few in looking at units, you are very important to him. During the camping season you are just another person in a sea of people looking to buy. During the winter he has to make floor plan payments of units that are not moving.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
when your sure the deal is perfect for you, then buy.

grampscamper
Explorer
Explorer
We just purchased a Grand Design a couple of weeks ago. We got a better price now than when I tried to buy one 9 months ago. It also came with more options, auto leveling and a second air conditioner. Dealer was slow and offered me a great deal. Ours was built and shipped just before the roads were salted.
Possibly some manufacturers may offer discounts to dealers for fall orders to keep their production lines running.
If it feels right, do a deal.
Good luck.
2019 Grand Design Reflection 230RL
2020 Ford F250 Lariat CC SB 4X4 6.7 B&W Companion RVK3300

PghBob
Explorer
Explorer
Two points not mentioned yet. First, make sure the RV and the floor plan is what YOU want. Don't let your friend, who is also looking, make up your mind for you. Second, the Federal Reserve just raised the discount rate .25% recently, and is expected to raise rates several times during 2016. If you finance any part of your RV purchase, the cost of your loan will increase as the feds raise the rates. So, IF you know what you want, and IF you need to finance, sooner is likely better than later. Good luck!

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO, fall is a better time to buy. Dealers won't sell many in the winter and they'll be getting new model year units in the spring.
They also want to reduce old inventory, to make room for new stock.

The worse time to buy is spring, since that is peak buying time amd the dealers are less likely to lower prices.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

mark1228
Explorer
Explorer
Right now is an excellent time to buy IF you find what you want. End of the year is the offseason for most RV dealers and we all would love to sell one or two more before its over.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
The best time to buy is when you want something andyou can afford it. If you can't afford it or you don't want it that would not be the right time.

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
winter time for summer toys ... & summer time for winter toys .. is what I do. Campers, motorcycles... etc.

in Ohio and South Carolina.. the dealer lots are Packed FULL of New Campers, trailers, 5th Wheelers and motor homes.
been sitting for a couple of months. and being a Warm Fall season, No salt...

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
If you're a good negotiator and are able to walk away from a sale you're not satisfied with, then most anytime is a good time to buy.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE