cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Beware the Danger Zone!

Off_Pavement
Explorer II
Explorer II
Danger Zone - The area between your tow vehicle and dinghy.

Woman crushed helping husband hook up towed vehicle
The Road To Paradise Is NOT Paved!
Please Support Multiple Use of our Public Lands!

Brian Hoag
www.rv-camping.org
'10 Sunseeker Class C - Gozer II
'13 Jeep JKU (Wrangler) - Billie

9 REPLIES 9

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
Two things to remember when pulling onto a tow dolly. Driver should use right foot for the accelerator and the left foot for the brake peddle at all times (assuming an automatic transmission). Person directing should be positioned to one side and never between the vehicles.

I'm 72, but have lived long enough to have seen stupid things done by drivers of all ages. They usually get away with it.

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a "DIY" telescoping towbar, no reason for it to ever happen. But many still have a fixed towbar, and a helper holding the TB up makes it a lot faster, Like said above,...don't give it a chance to happen,...just DON'T DO TT !
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Very sad. I hope the lady was not hurt too badly.

I hook up my toad by myself. That said inevitably someone in the CG always wants to help.

I ALWAYS have to tell the person to step aside before I move the toad forward.

Same thing when hooking up a tow chain to pull some one out, people always want to stand right next to the tow chain. Have to tell them to move way away before I pull.:R

I have had 2 clips break apart when pulling someone out and those hooks become guided missiles flying fast enough to lop your head clean off.

Sadly some people just don't think ahead about safety.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
Easy to let your guard down. The coach is in park when we are hooking up and we both stand off to the side when backing up.
Those radios are nice but it takes a second when you key the mike. Using the cellphones next time for that.
I hope she gets well quickly.

Popsie
Explorer
Explorer
Hooking up our toad safely:

First, I configure the tow bar to approximately the right location to connect to the toad baseplate - spread out to the right width + half way between all the way compressed and all the way extended.

Second, I drive the toad up to be close to tow bar arms and closer to the RV than the final spacing.

Third, I get out of the car and look, and if necessary I jockey the car around to be about where I want it (lined up with the tow bar arms, and closer than they will be when the arms extend and lock).

Fourth, I connect the ends of the shortened tow bars to the base plate.

Fifth, I back up the toad to latch the tow bars at their extended lengths.

Sixth, if I can't quite get it right, I have DW get in the car and make some slow short movements - forward or back plus left to right - until both tow bars latch.

Even if she gunned it, she couldn't squash me because I'm standing to the side, and the collapsed tow bar arms will stop the car before it can get all the way to the RV.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Life has several danger zones, doesn't it? This one to be sure, but also underneath any heavy object whether hoisted by a crane or a come-along, or even just held up by your brother-in-law. Middle of an open field during a thunderstorm. Be careful out there, folks.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Jack_Diane_Freedom wrote:
Sincerely hope she has a speedy recovery. Maybe time for hubby to give up his license.

If everyone gave up their drivers license when they did something stupid, the roads would be pretty empty. ๐Ÿ™‚

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Danger Zone........any time you place yourself between two vehicles and one has a 'occupant'

Just Don't Do It!.......PERIOD
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
Sincerely hope she has a speedy recovery. Maybe time for hubby to give up his license.