cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bike rack suggestions requested..

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
We've always carried our bikes inside a vehicle. When we had a truck and TT, bikes all fit in back of our tow vehicle (Ford Excursion). Now, with the MH, bikes fit in the back of our towed vehicle (minivan).

However, things are changing, and our 'towed' vehicle will now be a sedan most of the time (Ford Fusion), not the minivan. Bikes won't fit inside the Fusion like they did in the van, so looking at options for a bike rack of some kind.

Was going to use dual receiver and bike rack on back of MH. That is, until I realized that would mean we couldn't take the bikes with us in/on the 'toad'. Really want to be able to do that, so now looking at installing a hitch receiver on the back of Ford Fusion, and using a bike rack on it. Already located a Class II 1.25" hitch receiver for the Fusion, going to order that soon and install it.

Any suggestions, recommendations, hints, etc. on what bike rack I should buy for this? It needs to fit in a 1.25" hitch receiver, and carry 4 bikes of various sizes - Two adult (mountain) bikes, and 2 smaller children's bikes (that will eventually 'grow' into adult bikes as kids get bigger).

Any and all suggestions welcome, but would prefer something I can purchase in a store (not online), as want to be able to take it home and test it out briefly, and be able to return it easily if it doesn't fit or doesn't work for whatever reason.
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")
34 REPLIES 34

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
And there will not be a problem with he hitch mounted bike rack. the back of the Fusion doesn`t have the overhang the motorhome does! unless the Fusion is swaying back and forth (An even bigger problem than figuring out where to put the bikes) the bikes should stay put on the back of the Fusion! just like they would if you were just going to go someplace to go for a ride.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
..Quick update: I just did some searching on both Thule and Yakima's web site for what they have for roof racks like suggested earlier. Suffice it to say, what I found there confirmed I'm making the right decision, going with a hitch mounted rack. ๐Ÿ™‚

Yakima didn't even have anything that'd fit our Fusion for a roof rack. Based on the pricing I saw of their roof racks, and of the ones that Thule offered....Wow, expensive stuff! Hitch mounted rack will be several hundred $$ cheaper, even including the cost of putting a hitch receiver on the car!

Will
Will and Cheryl

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have you thought about putting a rack on the back of the motorhome?

Yes, that was my initial plan, but I ran into two major issues, that ended that idea:

1. Only realistic way to do this was using a dual hitch receiver, that we could put the towbar in the bottom receiver, bike rack in the top one. However, this proved impossible, as bottom of every bike rack I looked at would interfere with the brake actuator on our towbar (ReadyBrute Elite)

2. As you alluded to, this would mean not being able to bring the bikes with us on the 'toad'. Really, really want to be able to do that, for times we want to take bikes with us to remote places where we cannot (or don't want to) bring the Motorhome.

..Anyway, I just ordered the hitch receiver, its supposed to get here next week. Still haven't decided which bike rack I'll go with, but definitely think I want one where the arms will fold down. Would prefer one I can just buy at a store instead of online purchasing, as would like to be able to try it out and make sure all bikes fit on it, and be able to return it easily if they do not fit.

Will
Will and Cheryl

JN_B
Explorer
Explorer
willald wrote:
JN_B wrote:
Hanging 4 bikes off the back of a car is a BAD idea especially when you have a tow bar pushing/pulling on the front of the car.

Just get a roof rack.

Roof rack creates a whole 'nother set of problems that I don't want:

1. I am not convinced that mounting a rack to the top of a car that does not have any real place to mount such to (except gutter tracks), is not going to cause some serious scratching, eventually. Thats before getting into the fact that the Fusion has such a curved roof, I still have serious doubts you could even put a rack up there very well. That is something Thule or Yakima would be able to answer Very easily

2. One day somebody (me or DW) would forget the bikes were up there, drive the car into the garage, and CRUUNNCH!! There goes several thousand $$ in damage to bikes, car, and garage door!That's no different than forgetting the bikes are on the hitch on the back. In fact your probably more likely to hit something with a 3' extension off your car that normally isn't there.

3. NOBODY would be able to put the bikes up there or take them down, but me.I agree with this one, except I end up having to go and check that everything is tight anyways, so I'd much rather be responsible for putting the bikes up there. That way I know it's done right.

I understand your point about putting 4 bikes on the back of a car, that is being pulled, pushed from the front. However, I'm just not seeing where that will be an issue, all things considered.My parents have a toad behind their DP, and it gets tossed around back there, more than you would think.

Will

But that choice is yours. Have you thought about putting a rack on the back of the motorhome? My dad built a rack that attached to the bumper (steel back then, not hitch), and the roof. It carried four bikes stacked 2x2 high. We used the factory hitch to tow the boat. This worked great, except loading and unloading was always a two person job. Which didn't really matter, but I guess that means you can't take the bikes with the toad.
2014 Ford F-150 XLT, HD Payload, Max Trailer
2010 K-Z Spree 318BHS

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
JN_B wrote:
Hanging 4 bikes off the back of a car is a BAD idea especially when you have a tow bar pushing/pulling on the front of the car.

Just get a roof rack.

Roof rack creates a whole 'nother set of problems that I don't want:

1. I am not convinced that mounting a rack to the top of a car that does not have any real place to mount such to (except gutter tracks), is not going to cause some serious scratching, eventually. Thats before getting into the fact that the Fusion has such a curved roof, I still have serious doubts you could even put a rack up there very well.

2. One day somebody (me or DW) would forget the bikes were up there, drive the car into the garage, and CRUUNNCH!! There goes several thousand $$ in damage to bikes, car, and garage door!

3. NOBODY would be able to put the bikes up there or take them down, but me.

I understand your point about putting 4 bikes on the back of a car, that is being pulled, pushed from the front. However, I'm just not seeing where that will be an issue, all things considered.

Will
Will and Cheryl

JN_B
Explorer
Explorer

Just get a roof rack.
2014 Ford F-150 XLT, HD Payload, Max Trailer
2010 K-Z Spree 318BHS

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
I also have a Bell bike rack for 4 bikes that I bought from Target a few years ago for $99. It is designed for a 1.25" receiver and comes with an adapter that allows it to be used with a 2" receiver. It works well. Haven't had any issues with it. Here's a folding version of the one I have, clicky.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the suggestions, keep them coming. ๐Ÿ™‚

Unfortunately, a 2" receiver or class III hitch is not an option. They do not make such for the '13 Fusions (probably because Ford does not rate the Fusion to to tow much). I know you can get an adapter to fit 2" into a 1.25" receiver, but I would not trust that approach.

I'm liking the tray idea, it'd definitely make some things easier. Anyone finds a 4 bike tray rack that goes in a 1.25" receiver, I'd like to know about it.

Will
Will and Cheryl

owenssailor
Explorer
Explorer
We had a Sportrack 4 bike carrier that hung the bikes from the frame. It did not work well with odd shaped frame tubes. Now have a Swagman 2 bike that holds the bikes in trays. It works very well. They have a 4 bike model but looks like needs a 2 in receiver. It would be worth trying for that option if possible.
2011 Jayco 28U
2012 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 6 spd 3.42 (sold)
2017 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 8 spd 3.42
Equal-i-Zer 1400/14000
RotoChocks

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tystevens wrote:
I'm not aware of any 1.25 receiver bike racks that will hold 4 bikes (although that doesn't mean they exist).

I would recommend the tray type bike racks if you can find one that fits. More secure, works with various types of frames and wheel sized -- mine fits my downhill bike with a crazy frame to my road bike to my kids' 20" wheel bikes.

There is always the trunk-mounted racks if you cannot find a receiver that will work. Or a roof rack - you should be able to fit 4 bikes on top of the car if you get the right setup.

As a mountain biker and road cyclist, I know it can be tough to find a solution. Good luck!

I have one and it came with a 2" adapter for a 2" receiver. I think mine is a Bell. I bought it at Wal-Mart years ago. I don`t know if they still have them.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

roake
Explorer
Explorer
Might sound crazy, but you might consider a class III hitch. I know its more $$ and more than you would normally need (a bit more trouble to find), but opens up more options for your bikes. And before anyone tries to remind me, it doesn't increase your towing capacity.

MX-RV
Explorer
Explorer
So with respect to roof top racks the sunroof isn't an issue for fit as all the aftermarket racks have rain gutter clamp mounts. Take a look at Thule or yakama as they have online rack builders then its just a matter of goig to your local bike shop with the part numbers and they will make it up for you. Or just drop by tell them what your after they they will fit it on the spot. I would say the Canadian one also has the same but I'm not familiar with them.
You can take me camping, but apparently you can't make me camp!:S

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
..To clarify a few things:

I've found LOTS of 4 bike racks, that fit in 1.25" hitch receiver (Swagman, Thule, and Yakima). Not sure why anyone thinks such isn't an option.

As to the roof rack idea: Would LOVE to, but the car having a sunroof pretty much rules that out. Not to mention there's really nothing up there to mount it to.

As to tray type racks: I like those, too, but I've not found any tray type racks that will handle 4 bikes and fit in a 1.25" receiver. If anyone knows of one like that, please provide a link to it. ๐Ÿ™‚

Will
Will and Cheryl

roake
Explorer
Explorer
Check SportRack (www.sportrack.com). We have a 4 bike rack from them. Fits a 1 1/4" receiver and has an adapter for 2". Less $$$ than Thule or Yakima but just as good (possibly I'm biased since they're a Canadian company - out of Montreal). And they do distribute to our neighbours.

Grchristens
Explorer
Explorer
Swagman is fabulous. Tires glide in and stay put without much travel noise.
Chad... an Army retired recruiter and soon to be lawyer
Gina... a public school principal
Alyssa... an 11 year old angel
Olivia... a 2 year old explorer
Abbie... a snuggle buddy Yorkie
Pizzo... a Jack Russell who is a man's best friend