cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bike rack

DannyA
Explorer
Explorer
I have read on the forum and think I have come to a conclusion about a bike rack, the Swagman Trailhead 4 bike rack.
My thinking was this, while I will only carry 3 bikes would I not have more room going with the 4 rack and maybe stronger built also.
Does anyone have or recommend this bike rack and what about using the 4 rack for hauling 3 bikes, would the 3 rack be better?
Going to take spare tire off the back bumper and put a 2 inch hitch.
Thinking the weight compared to what I have on there now will be ok.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
2013 Sabre 290 REDS 5th wheel
2011 F250 Ford diesel

Mark Twain wrote: "Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do...
5 REPLIES 5

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
We just installed a Curt front receiver and the Swagman XC 2bike rack on the front of our truck. Works great, can see the bikes and they don't move at all. Check this option out. Receiver runs around $120 and only took 30 minutes to install. Good luck.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

Carb_Cleaner
Explorer
Explorer
The Swagman 4 bike rack and 3 bike rack are the same. The 4 bike rack has less weight capacity due to the extra set of tie-down points.
3 bike = 105 pounds
4 bike = 100 pounds
Check specs here:
4 bike rack
3 bike rack
'13 F250XL SC gas 4x4 8', Camper & Plow packages, StableLoads, LT285/65R-18 Goodyear Wrangler A/T Adventure, 18x9 Ultra Motorsports "Phantom" wheels
'12 Wolf Creek 850 TC Coleman Polar Cub 9.2k A/C, 90 watt solar, dual propane & batteries, Maggie Rack

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
bikendan wrote:
bad idea, especially if it's an ultra light trailer.

and the spare tire doesn't move back and forwards like a bunch of bikes held out and away from the back of the trailer.
the spare tire is right up against the back but a bunch of bikes will be like a fulcrum, placing forces on the weak welds of the bumper.
like pulling a wrench with a cheater pipe, back and down.

the physics of a spare tire on a bumper and a bike rack full of bikes on a bumper, are way different.

X2. Does your trailer's literature provide any recommendation regarding this?

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
bad idea, especially if it's an ultra light trailer.

and the spare tire doesn't move back and forwards like a bunch of bikes held out and away from the back of the trailer.
the spare tire is right up against the back but a bunch of bikes will be like a fulcrum, placing forces on the weak welds of the bumper.
like pulling a wrench with a cheater pipe, back and down.

the physics of a spare tire on a bumper and a bike rack full of bikes on a bumper, are way different.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
I would be nervous about hanging three/four bikes on a rack in the back unless, perhaps, it is a fiver instead of a TT. My TT bounces around too much. I'd go with a two bike rack and support the bikes with bunge cords to minimize the bounce.
We carry our two adult bikes on a rack in the front of our TV; it's a Saris CycleOn rack.
Have you considered foldup bikes?
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)