cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Blowing fuse for power hitch/light?

acritzer
Explorer II
Explorer II
2 times now on our recent trip I've tried to unhitch and found my fuse blown. Any ideas why this happens? I set up, plug in and start to unhitch. That's it.
7 REPLIES 7

acritzer
Explorer II
Explorer II
drsteve wrote:
I would inspect the hot wire for any breaks or cracked insulation. It works OK once the fuse is replaced, I assume? Sounds like the motion of towing might be causing a short.

I think this was it. The connection had come loose and wasn't even attached with a proper fastener.

Dryheat36
Explorer
Explorer
I had a similar issue when my trailer was new and found the following issue. The factory or dealer had put in too small of a fuse. I replaced the blown fuse with the same size and as soon as I raised the jack and it went fully up causing a load it blew the fuse. I then read the fuse holder and realized the issue. Put in the proper higher rated fuse and no further problems.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
I would inspect the hot wire for any breaks or cracked insulation. It works OK once the fuse is replaced, I assume? Sounds like the motion of towing might be causing a short.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

acritzer
Explorer II
Explorer II
drsteve wrote:
acritzer wrote:
2 times now on our recent trip I've tried to unhitch and found my fuse blown. Any ideas why this happens? I set up, plug in and start to unhitch. That's it.

I assume it's OK when you hook up. Is the fuse blown when you arrive at the campsite? Does it blow when you plug in to shore power, or when you hit the switch to raise the tongue jack?

It's fine when I hitched up, then unplugged. Drove to new spot, plugged in and nothing. Can't say for sure if it blew when I plugged in or when I attempted to use the hitch.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
acritzer wrote:

I assume it's OK when you hook up. Is the fuse blown when you arrive at the campsite? Does it blow when you plug in to shore power, or when you hit the switch to raise the tongue jack?
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Bad fuse holder, too small a fuse or a short. If it is a glass fuse holder, I would replace it with a weather resistant blade fuse holder.
-- Chris Bryant

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
acritzer wrote:

WHAT fuse? :h
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380