cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Books for RVing

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Thinking of buying "The Next Exit." Worth it or not?

Any other books you would recommend and must have?

I already have a GPS and a road atlas so I don't need any more maps.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln
14 REPLIES 14

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
i like to use all stays rv camp app on iphone for planning gas stops

i will pull up google earth on iphone to look at individual gas station parking and pump layouts before the trip. our tt is 33ft which isn't huge but some smaller gas stations can be a pain.

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have an older version and it can be useful. Our problem is while I am driving my copilot has to find and interpret the listings and decide on what to do based on them. That's not always easy to do.
The best use is for fuel stations that are suitable for RVers.
We rely more on our GPS.

Agreed with all of this. Few things add more time & stress to a trip than pulling into a gas station, only to find you can't get out of it. We also find it handy to know where the next Walmart is, when we are in need of restocking the fridge.

Of course, all this will depend on what your rig is. If you have a TC or small trailer or a small Class B, RV-friendly gas stations won't be an issue.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

Optimistic_Para
Explorer
Explorer
dcmac214 wrote:
For the Milk Crate Police: No idea who stole it (if it was). Bought a bunch of them at a flea market decades ago, stamped with the label of our home town long-out-of-business dairy.

Anyway, that's your story and you're sticking to it! ๐Ÿ˜„

dcmac214
Explorer
Explorer
When we first got our trailer we got a bunch of RV-related books that, in one way or another, piqued our interest. Completely filled up a milk crate that sits on the back seat floor in easy reach on the hump whenever we travel. Over the years we've kept that "library" up to date as new editions were published.

For the Milk Crate Police: No idea who stole it (if it was). Bought a bunch of them at a flea market decades ago, stamped with the label of our home town long-out-of-business dairy.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
We have an older version and it can be useful. Our problem is while I am driving my copilot has to find and interpret the listings and decide on what to do based on them. That's not always easy to do.
The best use is for fuel stations that are suitable for RVers.
We rely more on our GPS.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I don't read. I play on the internet.

Optimistic_Para
Explorer
Explorer
You didn't specify if you wanted only books to use as guides on the roads. Three books I learned a lot from are:

RV Electrical Systems

The No Shock Zone

The Mobile Internet Handbook

Optimistic_Para
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look at Mountain Directory. Started as two books for truck drivers, very useful for RV'ers, now available as apps as well as the original books.

https://www.mountaindirectory.com/

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Ron. I think that's what I will end up doing.

Any other must have books (or apps) out there? I looked at the 10 must have apps for RVers but none really struck my fancy except a few I already have.

I saw a really cool app the other day but it was only for Apple and I have an Android phone. I was some kind of vacation logging app.

outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Turtle, try out that 2018 book and see how you like it. 90% of it will be up to date. Then you can decide if you want to try the app. The app is updated more frequently but I could not tell you how frequently
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, so I get what you guys are saying about the book. "But" I really like printed versions better for some things and this is one of them.

I found a 2018 book so it is up to date. The only thing. Do you guys know if the app is updated every month or year or whatever? That would change my mind because I hate out of date data.

Thanks again for your thoughts!

outside the fire"

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Turtle, we use it from time to time, it's useful, the app that is. We have the old book version that expired about 12 years ago and never dig it out. Wife looks up stuff on her iPhone as we travel. Don't bother with the printed version if you can help it.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We try not to travel the interstates, so next exit wouldn't be useful to us. We do use several websites to locate campgrounds, use google maps a lot to view gas stations for layout, view the campgrounds , check mileage for approximate stopping locations and mountain directory east or west depending on where we are going. We do google searches to locate propane, grocery stores, Walmarts, or anything else we need and gas buddy to find the best prices for gas along our route. Have an atlas just in case our mobile internet isn't working or phone not working.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Get it as an app on your smart phone for $.99. Who uses books? lol
Better rated is IExit Interstate Exit Guide.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE