cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

boondocking near the border

RV_daytrader
Explorer
Explorer
Is anyone boondocking near the border having any problems with criminals?? Was thinking of going to Amistad reservoir in Texas for some bass fishing buy worry about leaving my camper unattended for hours.

MOD'S EDIT: Slight rewording to avoid the politics.
YODA...our lil Toyota!
1989 Toyota Seabreeze
15 REPLIES 15

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
A dozen years ago or so we went south for fun into the desert in our pickup west of Casa Grande , partway to Gila Bend.
about 8 miles south we came to a fence and an abandoned ranch house. we turned around and about 4 miles back as we came over a rise to a wash, 2 Border Patrol officers had us intheir M14 gunsights.
Questions they asked, advice they gave.
What are you diong here - Uh a drive rock hounding and looking for dead saguaros for their ribs.
Did you see anyone or any thing - Uh, no,
Are you armed? - uh no, Why should we be?
Because that femce is the border of the Tohono res. where we have no jurusdiction. Illegals cross the 100 yard border into the res and the natives help them . and within into 12 miles of Tucson
Officer, we ask, How does that concern us?
They would not hesitate to kill you to get rid of a witness.
Federal officers advised us to be armed and alert when around the border.
I had never before thought of or liked being armed

When a Federal officer of the law advises you to be armed in defense of your life in our nation I take that as a call to arms, as it was long ago when militia were the defense .

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
agesilaus wrote:
But of course on the border areas it is different, the crooks are passing thru those areas anyway and you could be an handy source of a vehicle and other stuff, since they are there anyway.
How many crooks a day do you suppose pass through the Amistad Reservoir?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'd think VERY Hard about boondocking in remote areas.

Oh heck we camp in remote spots all the time, just not within 50 miles of the southern border. We did 4 days boondocking when the nearest town was 60 miles away a few weeks ago. It was a great spot.

Now would I camp within 15 miles of Los Angles, not likely. You are more at risk there than camping out in the Dixie National Forest.

My personal theory is that your average criminal prefers to commit his misdeeds where there are plenty of victims, not drive for 60 miles including miles of dirt road in hope of finding someone to rob.

But of course on the border areas it is different, the crooks are passing thru those areas anyway and you could be an handy source of a vehicle and other stuff, since they are there anyway.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
I'd think VERY Hard about boondocking in remote areas. I've been stopped twice on the water for checks when DW and I were the only ones in a 14' inflatable. Registration check and a few questions and we were off, but we were NO WHERE NEAR the international border.
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
opps

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
JRscooby wrote:
I wonder about what makes people think there would be a surge in crime near the border?
Perhaps OP will return and tell us. If there was we'd be hearing about it.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
QCMan wrote:
I wouldn't worry about it either. There ae no criminals anymore. Just folks having fun.

And tourist.
I wonder about what makes people think there would be a surge in crime near the border?

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
QCMan wrote:
I wouldn't worry about it either. There ae no criminals anymore. Just folks having fun.

:B :B

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
QCMan wrote:
There ae no criminals anymore. Just folks having fun.
Good to know.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
QCMan wrote:

Right? Lol. Well put ๐Ÿ˜‰
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

QCMan
Nomad III
Nomad III

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Amistad isn't too remote. Close to Del Rio and the very large/ strong US Border Patrol station at Comstock. An area heavily patrolled by CBP.

However, a public forum is not the place to get a decent answer.

Call the Val Verde County Sheriff's department.

Also call the National Park Service Visitor Center (830)775-7491 and get them to put you in touch with the Law Enforcement division. They can give you the straight answer.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wouldn't bother me.

dedmiston
Please keep the political comments out of this thread.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230