cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boycott “No Campfires”

Yolue
Explorer
Explorer
We RVers need to Boycott places that don’t allow a special part of the camping experience...”campfires”. It’s bad enough that so many places don’t allow wood fires but not allowing propane campfires is beyond ridiculous.

We carry in our RV a variety of equipment and supplies for a campfire and it’s so disappointing to not be able to use them and enjoy that experience.

I own a small RV park and when we are in a burning ban I have had people cancel their reservation...”Really, we can’t have a campfire?...we will book another time”

I will not book anymore places that don’t allow a campfire.
168 REPLIES 168

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
I also prefer a campground that does not allow campfires at the site. I am fine with a place away from the sites, but I dislike the smell, smoke, and embers that fly up.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Be aware that the ice cream companies cannot just whip a bunch of air into the product to save themselves money. At least in Michigan, where my dad ran an Ice cream company his whole life and I worked there from the time I was able to take directions reliably until I graduated from college, the gallon of ice cream must weigh a certain amount (air) and that weight is constantly monitored as the cartons or containers are being filled at the freezer. Every 15 minutes or so a gallon is weighed and if necessary the air volume is changed right then as the ice cream continues to be put in the cartons. We used to run three or four freezers at a time when filling quarts and also the 3 gallon tubs.

I suspect that most states have regulations similar to Michigans when it come to the weight of ice cream cartons. You are certainly right on the size however! It is difficult to find a full half gallon now. :M

By the way, the name of the ice cream company was Wesleys Ice Cream Co. and was located in Detroit, Mi. My dad helped form that company from the Ebling Creamery Co. and was still there when it was sold to another dairy in Michigan many years later. He then left and went to the Baskin Robbins plant in Ann Arbor where he finished his career.

Thanks for the opportunity to reminisce! 🙂
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
If your going to boycott something, why not make it something that’s really important? Don’t waste your time with this small stuff!

Like these dang ice cream companies that sell their products in 1.5 qt containers, instead of a full half-gallon (that’s two full quarts, for the volumetric challenged). They keep doing it because they think we didn’t notice. They also didn’t think we’d notice that they whip a bunch of air into the ice cream now, which means we’re getting even less ice cream in our shrunken containers! And it doesn’t freeze as hard, and it melts faster. :M

Don’t be stupid! Quit buying that ripoff ice cream! If they couldn’t sell it, they’d quit making it!

And yes, I only buy the few brands that still sell real half-gallons. But I can’t do this alone. We gotta stick together if we’re going to bend them to our will!

Who’s with me on this???

As you were.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
The OP specifically said he was NOT talking about places with burn bans in place for fire prevention.

He was talking about RV Parks that don't allow campfires just because.

Totally different thing.

But the answer isn't a boycott and putting those parks out of business. It's simply choosing to go to RV Parks that allow campfires and leave the others to all those folks who don't want campfires. Something for everyone.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

K3WE
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
2012Coleman wrote:
gbopp wrote:
westernrvparkowner wrote:
"Aliens teleport all the world's porcelain toilets to their deathstar, leaving nothing but exposed sewer pipes in the stalls."

Oh Great! Now I have something else to worry about.
Thanks for ruining my day. :S
Boycott the Aliens!!! They are taking away our rights to poop in porcelain toilets!

I'm going to find as many toilet forums as I can and spread the word! Join me!!
Sounds like a lot of paper work.

I guess if I ever go to a campground where I THOUGHT I could have a fire and told I can't, I will be bummed.

In the meantime, I can think of all sorts of reasons to ban this or that in the way of fires THAT DEPEND ON THE SITUATION IN THE CAMPGROUND. Are we really out in a good moist woods, with plenty of space, or is the place tight, or dry, or any other number of things.

If it's a concern, I guess the OP should call ahead.

As far as an organized boycott...no thanks, too many variables for knee-jerk-public-opinion-flame wars.

But, perhaps we do need to boycott those porcelain stealing aliens, in the meantime, I am relaxed knowing that my RV has the basic plastic special.

Trekkar
Explorer
Explorer
Bert Ackerman wrote:
Lol, the best thread ever. Campgrounds that are so full of smoke they look like a fogbank? Where the hell are some of you folks camping?

Hyperbole is wasted on you Helots!;)
2014 Dodge Ram 1500
2021 Salem SFX 167RBK

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
fj12ryder wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
No Campfires..........PLEASE post those CGs
Call them out
We should start an ongoing list that gets updated frequently

That way I can pick which ones I will partonize cause I hate campfires!

Not so much hate them.....it's just there are MORE & More inept campers that do NOT know how to have a campfire.
They think smoldering/smokey is good vs an actual fire
And then they go inside!

YEAH.CGs with NO Campfires.
I like the concept

Smoky fires keep the bugs away. I always have a little smoky fire
Given the choice between smoky, stinky fires or bugs, I'll take the bugs every time. And the only way it keeps the bugs away is if you sit in the smoke. Boy is that pleasant.

Not really. The fires will help keep them away, and we also use citronella candles. You don't mind candles do you? AND it is really hard to make stick biscuits if you don't have a fire, and no. you can't make them on a propane fire.

I do however put out my fires before I go to bed. I keep a hose ready at all times. All I got to do it water it down when we are done with it.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
fj12ryder wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
jplante4 wrote:
I guess this explains the recent trend of putting electric fireplaces under the 60 inch TV in RVs lately. I thought it was silly, but maybe the manufacturers were onto something.

No you are right. it is silly. I don't go camping to sit inside. My last trip. The TV wasn't even turned on. We cook outside, we eat outside, we sit outside. We sleep inside.
If I was going to sit inside and watch TV. I'd just stay home.
Aren't you glad everyone isn't just like you. We don't "camp", we gave up tents years ago. Now we RV.

We RV at the beach. We camp in the mountains. And you don't want to cook inside at the CGs we go to. Cooking inside puts cooking grease, and food smells inside your RV. Bears love the smell of bacon, eggs, and well what ever you cook inside. So we cook outside, so as not to invite them in. Plus I don't want that cooking grease all over my beds, or TV, or sofa, Well I just don't want it in my RV.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Nice job cleaning up this thread Mod. It would have been easier just to delete it but you obviously made a huge effort to sort it out.
Thanks!

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
Yolue wrote:
We RVers need to Boycott places that don’t allow a special part of the camping experience...”campfires”. It’s bad enough that so many places don’t allow wood fires but not allowing propane campfires is beyond ridiculous.

We carry in our RV a variety of equipment and supplies for a campfire and it’s so disappointing to not be able to use them and enjoy that experience.

I own a small RV park and when we are in a burning ban I have had people cancel their reservation...”Really, we can’t have a campfire?...we will book another time”

I will not book anymore places that don’t allow a campfire.

My god, the Arrogance.
How about you camp where you want and I camp where I want. Not everyone likes to camp the same way.

Personally, I could care less about this issue. But the implication that Everyone should do as the OP prefers is just.........well, you know.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Terryallan wrote:
jplante4 wrote:
I guess this explains the recent trend of putting electric fireplaces under the 60 inch TV in RVs lately. I thought it was silly, but maybe the manufacturers were onto something.

No you are right. it is silly. I don't go camping to sit inside. My last trip. The TV wasn't even turned on. We cook outside, we eat outside, we sit outside. We sleep inside.
Aren't you glad everyone isn't just like you. We don't "camp", we gave up tents years ago. Now we RV.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Terryallan wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
No Campfires..........PLEASE post those CGs
Call them out
We should start an ongoing list that gets updated frequently

That way I can pick which ones I will partonize cause I hate campfires!

Not so much hate them.....it's just there are MORE & More inept campers that do NOT know how to have a campfire.
They think smoldering/smokey is good vs an actual fire
And then they go inside!

YEAH.CGs with NO Campfires.
I like the concept

Smoky fires keep the bugs away. I always have a little smoky fire
Given the choice between smoky, stinky fires or bugs, I'll take the bugs every time. And the only way it keeps the bugs away is if you sit in the smoke. Boy is that pleasant.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
What is really stupid is to say no propane fire pits!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yolue wrote:
My recent “no propane campfires” experience had nothing to do with a fire ban. was simply the private park’s rules. Near my small trailer park we lost 14,000 acres of mostly public lands last year...started by lighting. Forest have always had fires...the question is how much of our “rights” do we lose to protect against the possibility of a fire? Years ago I struggled with a missouri county over their ban on swimming from lake shores. In the public meeting a ranger said “mr...have you ever pulled a drowned young girl out of a lake?”. I responded...”no and that has to be the most horrible experience...but then maybe you should drain the lake”. Towns all over america have or will ban winter sledding in their parks. How far we will let this kind of “protection” go?

Yep yep.

I myself survives drinking from a water /garden / hose pipe, riding in the back of trucks, riding bikes without helmets, and the dreaded swimming in the lake, plus waterskiing with only a ski belt.
Yeah, back in the day. We lived on the edge. Just didn't know it. We just lived.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
jplante4 wrote:

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers