cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

break away switch failure

skrizan
Explorer
Explorer
2010 31ft Flagstaff Classic Superlite - I know the switch worked at one time as it was accidentally pulled backing too sharp. It pulled out last year while towing during a severe storm. The wind and rain caused the cable to wrap around the hitch and when I changed lanes to exit it was pulled. The brakes locked for maybe a second and then let loose. It hasn't worked since. I installed a brand new switch and it still doesnt work. Strange thing is the brakes work fine when towing. Battery has almost 14 volts. I'm stumped.
4 REPLIES 4

skrizan
Explorer
Explorer
It is wired exactly the same as the original switch that worked at one time. One wire from switch goes to three other wires in the junction box - two red and a black. The other wire connects to two wires - one blue and one green/white wire. It came from the dealer like that.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sounds like you have it connected to ground......green/white wire

It is just a switch installed in the DC positive line......should be blue to blue

When pigtail cord gets pulled out of truck you would loose truck DC power to trailer brakes so when emergency switch pin is pulled out you then get DC power from trailer battery to operate/hold trailer brakes
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

skrizan
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, with the cable pulled I have over 13 volts at the wire connected to the brake wires in the junction box. It is connected to the blue from the harness and the green and white that goes back to the brakes. What is separate between the tow vehicle connection and the break away connection? I don't know how one would work and not the other?
Doesn't the harness send power to the same wire?

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Emergency Brake Switch has 2 wires
One connects to trailer battery 12V DC (+)
Other one connects to wire from trailer plug that goes to trailer brakes (12V DC +)

Check that you have 12V DC + to emergency brake switch.....thru switch with pin pulled and properly connected to trailer brake wire (Unplug trailer to truck pigtail cord while testing so that you are using trailer battery voltage)
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31