cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

BREAK IN??

TOMMY47
Explorer
Explorer
Checked the MH for caught/dead mice . All 3 glue traps were moved. Curious, I searched around. One was folded in half and on the floor. The other 2 were found in the dinette area well above the ground. Both had the imprint of a large shoe. Also smelled a little like cigarette smoke. Also looked like some empty boxes tossed around. Fortunately, I keep no electronics or anything of value in it until I'm ready to go.
All doors were locked.
Seems someone got in at night and stepped in glue traps in the dark.
Don't know how they could have gotten in, since it was locked. Why did they lock the doors when they left? Should I expect a return visit?
31 REPLIES 31

KazooTom
Explorer
Explorer
I would encourage you to file a report, even though there appears to be no damage or property missing. Again, it will bring attention to the area. Could be it was a homeless person looking for a place to stay, and maybe checking the cabinets for food or valuables.

I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable leaving mine in any unsecured storage area on your side of the state. You might also consider moving it even in the same storage lot. Who ever entered would then know the entry had been discovered if he/she comes back. As was stated in an earlier post, there are only a handful of different keys for the standard door locks. You dead bolt is a bit more unique. If both are locked it would be harder to get in.
Tom & Barb
'07 Winnebago Voyage 35L
Workhorse W22 Chassis

TOMMY47
Explorer
Explorer
Brighton.
No police report yet.
Checked the boats. Their covers are intact.

KazooTom
Explorer
Explorer
Hopefully you also made a police report about the incident. While they may not be able to do much, you will have at least alerted them to problems in that area. You mentioned that there were also a couple boats parked in the lot. Were they tampered with too?

I am fortunate here in the Kalamazoo area to be able to park next to my house. So far we have had no problems. I leave mine plugged in to a 30 amp circuit. I am more fearful that some idiot will decide to steal the 30 amp cord for the copper content. We have had a problem with bike thieves last summer. They would scan the neighborhood looking for open garages and walk up and ride away on their new bike.

What area of Michigan are you in?
Tom & Barb
'07 Winnebago Voyage 35L
Workhorse W22 Chassis

Gene_Ginny
Explorer
Explorer
Put in a battery operated motion sensing light. I bought 2 at Sam's club last year. They use a few C cells each. Of course if they are breaking in during the day the lights would not scare them. Maybe they could activate a recorder to play barking dog sounds or .... the sound of a hammer being cocked.
Gene and DW Ginny
[purple] 2008 Toyota 4Runner 4.7L V8 w/factory towing option
2002 Sunline Solaris Lite T2363[/purple]

Reese Dual Cam Straight Line HP Sway Control

Proud member of the Sunline Club

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Well this thread turned fast. Someone holed up in a stored RV to cap an intruder better get used to a space a Hellofa lot smaller than the one their currently in.

To the OP: Unfortunately camper keys are very common. Don't know about doors, but the CH751 key is almost universal to open storage compartments. mebbe it's time to visit the local locksmith..
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

Fresno_Tundra_D
Explorer
Explorer
arkantex wrote:
FTD someone told him to put a a game camera up so if the perps decide to come back

Yeah I saw that. Even still do you think it's worth the hassle? That was my point. It's not like some intruder was trying to kill his family.
E.Lee Galik

TOMMY47
Explorer
Explorer
It's parked in a restaurant/golf course spare lot. 3-4 boats also there. Cost is free for the last 1 1/2 years.

arkantex
Explorer
Explorer
FTD someone told him to put a a game camera up so if the perps decide to come back
Me, the wifey, 2 minions (both boys) and a Great Dane named Tiny
2011 f250 Lariat 4 door
2001 KZ sportsman coyote 23c HTT

Fresno_Tundra_D
Explorer
Explorer
TOMMY47 wrote:
Fresno--Don't want my camera stolen.

OP, what camera? I thought no electronics or anything of value was in the RV.
Maybe I missed something. Even still, if there was a camera is it worth a court case and all the hassle?
E.Lee Galik

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
We had a similar experience with our HTT while in storage. One day my son and I were biking by the storage lot and noticed the door to our HTT was wide open. I stopped in and found the door lock had been busted. I had only put on the lock, not the dead bolt. We had nothing of interest to a non-camper. We figured they were just looking for something to steal.

Since the main lock was broken, I locked the deadbolt. About a week later, the storage lot manager called to say that it was broken into again. They couldn't get past the dead bolt, but they sure tried. They broke the window on the door and ripped the door a little at the bottom of the window. Since they couldn't get in, they broke the tongue lock and snipped the tether for the gravity feed cap.

I checked the only other camper in the lot, it too had been broken into. The police figured they were just looking for a place to stay.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

TOMMY47
Explorer
Explorer
Got no kids or grandkids.

calamus
Explorer
Explorer
I have spent more than one night in the camper when we are some place you are not sure about. I know in High school I had a set of keys to my grandparents cabin and My friends and I spent several weekend winter nights there with some barley pops. I know they had no idea for a few years till the neighbors busted us.
2015 3500HD Chevy Dually Duramax, 2008 Sundance 2014 22'SSX bennington pontoon

TOMMY47
Explorer
Explorer
Fresno--Don't want my camera stolen.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Set up some type of camera, (like a wild game camera)
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

hermandutchman
Explorer
Explorer
camper keys are almost universal and can open any unit with little effort.