cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Breaks in Caulk

xzyHollyxyz
Explorer
Explorer
My trailer is the newer color - kinda light tan and chocolate. I have noticed several breaks/holes in some of the seams.

What type of caulk do I use, and it must come in clear because of the color of my trailer. (That's what's on there now.)

Is silicone a no-no? If so, why.
I looked for the Dicor, but it doesn't come in clear.
(Dicor is a urethane based caulk, as opposed to water based?)

Thanks.
2015 Fun Finder 189FDS
2013 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab SV 4x4
12 REPLIES 12

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
I have used the stuff in tubes sold be eternabond and it has worked well.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

westend
Explorer
Explorer
If you want to seal it correctly, use a polymer sealant like Proflex RV. If you already have silicone caulk failing in those joints, you'll need to remove it.

Silicone will fail in a few years losing the bond to the surface it's applied. Nothing will stick to cured silicone, not even more silicone.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

xzyHollyxyz
Explorer
Explorer
RV daytrader wrote:
RV Proflex in clear...same as geocel stuff...but even Proflex wont stick to silicone, so you need to know what is already on it.

I sent my dealer an email this morning questioning what to use on the gaps/holes I have found. This is his reply:

Use Dow clear on the sides.
Use Dicor on the roof. They make self leveling and non sag. Will need non sag near the edges.

Google search of "Dow clear" has shown me it is silicone. So, you're saying Proflex won't work and I'll have to repair with silicone? ๐Ÿ˜ž
2015 Fun Finder 189FDS

RV_daytrader
Explorer
Explorer
RV Proflex in clear...same as geocel stuff...but even Proflex wont stick to silicone, so you need to know what is already on it.
YODA...our lil Toyota!
1989 Toyota Seabreeze

xzyHollyxyz
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
My guess is that you've already searched through some caulk topics but still want to use silicone or silicone modified sealants. Go right ahead.

Well, you guessed wrong.
Jeesh.
2015 Fun Finder 189FDS

westend
Explorer
Explorer
My guess is that you've already searched through some caulk topics but still want to use silicone or silicone modified sealants. Go right ahead.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
If it says silicone you do NOT want it.

xzyHollyxyz wrote:
OP HERE:

Found this. Thoughts? (it's available in clear, too!)

LifeSeal Sealant

And a review:

LifeSeal Review
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

xzyHollyxyz
Explorer
Explorer
OP HERE:

Found this. Thoughts? (it's available in clear, too!)

LifeSeal Sealant

And a review:

LifeSeal Review
2015 Fun Finder 189FDS

xzyHollyxyz
Explorer
Explorer
Tachdriver wrote:
Where is the caulk, bathroom or outside?

I was inspecting the outside.
2015 Fun Finder 189FDS

seaeagle2
Explorer
Explorer
Silicone is a NO NO, it breaks down, its hard to remove to recaulk, and you have to remove it because nothing sticks to it....
2014 F 250 Gasser
2019 Outdoors RV 21RD
"one life, don't blow it", Kona Brewing
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Doug Larson

Tachdriver
Explorer
Explorer
Where is the caulk, bathroom or outside?