cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bumper Cargo Hauler box?

DeanRIowa
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking for advice where to find a box/container that would fit into my cargo hauler/basket(49" by 22 1/2"). I was wondering if I could just use a standard rubbermaid contianer and tie downs?

I will carrying this container on the bumper with the aid of this bumper hitch receiver.

I plan on carrying my grill and grilling supplies in it, as I want to get the grill out of the camper as not to attract small rodents.

What do others use?

Dean
2015 Summerland 2820 BHGS
2016 Silverado
DW Esmeralda, DS Mathew, DD Natalie
7 REPLIES 7

hbillsmith
Explorer
Explorer
Let's Go Aero Gear Deck 17
Wildcat2016-295rsx GMC2015-2500HD-DblCab D'max/Allisn+4x4 6.6'Bed
Maxxis235/80/16E;Andersen Ultimate2+4"offset;Airlft1 WirelessComp;GroundCtrl3;MorRyde RubbPinBox+CRE3000;3-Slidecovrs;Champion3100w/DIY ExtndRun;10'Portabote+5hp;Furrion48cam
Visited States

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
outboardfever wrote:
I just put a hitch basket on my A to carry my fire pit and a tub of wood. Looking for some ideas to stabilize side to side. Off to the coast Saturday so we shall see how it works out. Should also work for bikes.

When I first installed my "basket" it was horribly wobbly. But after spending $100 for the basket I was determined to come up with a solution. I was very disappointed I could not use my factory installed receiver on my TT (see photo above from previous post).

But I did have one of those bumper mounts with the 2 inch receiver so mounted it on the sewer hose bumper (with the receiver on the top of the bumper, not the bottom.) The basket was still very wobbly, so I measured the distance from the top of the bumper to the bottom of basket and it was just shy of the width of two 2x4's stacked on top of each other. I was able to split one of the 2x4's on my table saw and put 2 together. The distance was perfect.

So I then drilled holes through the 2x4 and mounted them to the bottom of the basket with eye bolts. The reason I used I bolts with the loop on the end was so I could use them to catch bungie cords or whatever inside the basket.

Now, when inserting the basket into the receiver, the 2x4 actually rest on top of the bumper. They do not have any pressure on them, they just rest. With one on each end of the basket, this keeps the basket from rocking like a bonking horse. This completely stabilized the rocking back and forth, took out all the wiggle, and I've been using it this way for 3 years now.

Here's a photo of the basket from a different angle. You can see there are actually 3 arms coming from the basket. The middle is the receiver, the ends are the 2x4's that just rest on top of the bumper.

This works, took out all the rocking too. I painted the wood black to match the bumper and basket. It's not treated wood, and under and extreme stress (if that would ever happen for any reason, the wood would snap before the metal thus preventing any damage. But so far, I've not had to test that theory. I could have used metal to support the ends from rocking, but opted for wood, since I a carpenter and better equipped to fabricate a solution with wood, more than metal.

Here's a photo from a different angle than above:

outboardfever
Explorer
Explorer
I just put a hitch basket on my A to carry my fire pit and a tub of wood. Looking for some ideas to stabilize side to side. Off to the coast Saturday so we shall see how it works out. Should also work for bikes.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I have 2 of these. One fits my "cage" but two will not. So that leaves some space for other things. I carry all my sewer hose supplies in it.

Got mine from Wall Mart. They are called "foot lockers"

click here.

But then, if you want something that might fit the entire cage, you might try one of these: Click here too.

JWRoberts
Explorer
Explorer
I removed my cargo hauler and installed a pickup tool box on top of the bumper. The box is not centered so more weight is exerted aft of the bumper. It worked great on my last TT for 10 years and for a year on my current one.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
rhagfo wrote:
If you really like your grill, don't go hat route. The basket at the back of the trailer is bad enough, but it will likely twist the bumper right off the trailer.
You will need a reciver welded to the trailer frame.

I agree you don't want to end up like this
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you really like your grill, don't go hat route. The basket at the back of the trailer is bad enough, but it will likely twist the bumper right off the trailer.
You will need a reciver welded to the trailer frame.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"