cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Busted Water Filter Canister!

Lumpty
Explorer
Explorer
Anybody else have something like this happen?

Three weeks ago, I was in full bug-out mode trying to hit the road from NJ to get down to Daytona for the Rolex 24. I left work at around 1pm, and figured it would take me a couple of hours tops to dewinterize and pack the RV.

My Sunseeker 2300 Class C was bought off the lot with pretty much every option box checked. Some are awesome, like the power drivers seat and foot thick Serta Innerspring mattress. Others, such as the "water filter", I've found way less useful in the 3.5 years I've owned the rig. This thing is (was!) simply a residential-style filter designed to be hard mounted to the inside of a kitchen cabinet. The mount is the top part which the canister screws onto, that cantilevers to a bent plate that is screwed to the mounting surface. In the case of what Forest River did, it was the plywood backboard the water pump was also attached to at the back of a storage compartment, all located behind a plastic access door and removal piece of FRP.

I've never been happy with the attachment of the filter. It is kind of big and heavy just hanging there, and clearly could rattle back and forth. Early on, I wedged a couple of strips of exercise mat material behind as a shim to take out the movement and cushion any vibration.

So anyway, the first step in dewinterizing this unit is to go into the compartment, unscrew the canister and dump the RV antifreeze in it. Open the door. There is a small flood in there. I think, well, it just did rain hard a few days ago and the unit was parked on a bit of a side slope, and it is winter so the rubber door seal got hard and some water got in. As I take out the grill and associated stuff, I see my flood is pink. Uh oh. I get the FRP panel off to find the filter canister has broken off clean at the threads, which is still screwed onto the upper mounting housing.

Several other thoughts occur simultaneously: I'm sure glad I discovered this in my driveway as opposed to a random campground on I-95 somewhere in East Jabib as I headed to Florida, which I had been considering as a dewinterizing location; how am I going to get this thing out, as the backboard and much of the plumbing was clearly installed before the house was completely attached to the frame; and, this has a strong likelihood of fubaring my living on the edge travel schedule.

Via a really long Phillips screwdriver, I got the top housing off the backboard. With a pipe wrench and vise grips, the threaded ends got undone from the PEX piping, and off I went to Home Depot to look for something to splice in. The plumbing aisle was my savior, where I bought a short length of braided line with the appropriate connections. Came home, installed, with the total time elapsed on one hour from discovery of the Uh Oh to resuming flushing the water system.

Pics follow. Just another example of RV manufacturer stupidity. This is not an old unit either. As said, on the road for 3.5 years and just under 30,000 miles, all by me.

Bustedness:

The top housing, kinda bent up so I could get to the mounting screws:

The fix, showing the backboard, and the old padding I had on the canister, so this wouldn't happen:
Rob

Too Many Toys.
- '11 E450 Sunseeker 2300
- '16 F150 Supercrew 5.0/FX4
- '09 C6 Z51
- '15 VW Golf Sportwagen daily driver
- '86 Civic and '87 CRX race cars
9 REPLIES 9

shakyjay
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mine broke in the first few months. At the point the only trip it had been on, other than delivery to dealer, was a couple hundred miles. TT was set up to live in temporarily and it broke in the middle of the night. Was never exposed to any freezing weather. Water pressure was also not an issue. Just snapped right off. Did a similar temporary fix as OP and eventually bought a new one and installed it.
2007 Rockwood 8315SS
2004 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax Diesel
1999 Dodge 1500 5.9L Gas

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, our Water Pur broke in the same spot (4 years old) last summer while we were in the trailer in the middle of the afternoon. Just fell off broken just under the threads. I now make it a habit to turn off the water valve when we leave for the day in case something else breaks. Thank God we were there when it happened.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Nice quick fix there!
Ours did something like that at 1:00 in the morning. I awoke to the gentle hum of the water pump (under our bed) as is was just pumping the last few drops of our 40 gallon tank out onto the floor under the kitchen sink.
Thankfully the kitchen is in the back and all the water just ran towards the back of the trailer where the flooring wraps around the plywood floor. Then it just ran out underneath.
Nothing like a bit of emergency plumbing to really get your late night energy up.
For years I have stocked extra fittings in the TT just in case I had to bypass a failed component so it wasn't too big a deal.

Lumpty
Explorer
Explorer
jonmad wrote:
Think I would support that pump as well before it is shaken loose....

The pump is very solidly mounted. It has a pretty big flat plastic surface on the bracket that is intended to be installed as it is.

After I took the last picture with the braided line installed, I did add 3 tie-wraps to wrap the new line to the adjacent hot and cold PEX. Everything seems tight now.
Rob

Too Many Toys.
- '09 C6 Z51

Lumpty
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
Did you run antifreeze through the filter housing with the element removed when you winterized? If so, I expect the antifreeze only mixed a bit with the water in the housing, rather than forcing it all out. The diluted antifreeze would have a higher freezing point than the straight stuff.

Yes I did; I open the low point drain, dump the water heater and when those stop dripping, always took this canister off, pouring the water out, along with unscrewing the pump strainer which always holds a thimble-full of water. Since this canister always made a mess no matter what fluid was in it while unscrewing it full, everything got wiped clean and dry both Spring and Fall.

Forest River also does not have a great way to bypass the fresh water tank for winterizing. I just pour the antifreeze in and flush well when getting the pink stuff out, so the canister was always the first thing filled, and flushed through with volume of pink stuff used to do all the plumbing. This is roughly 3 gallons. We always use bottled water for drinking and cooking while traveling for a variety of reasons so dealing with winterizing this way no big deal. It takes maybe 3 tank flushes to clean it all out.
Rob

Too Many Toys.
- '09 C6 Z51

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yep. mine broke once. it was because there was nothing supporting the bottom of the canister. it just bounces when on the road which it was never designed to do. I replaced the canister and use a piece of Styrofoam slid under neath to keep it solid. has been good for years.

I too rarely use the filter. I only purchase one If I know I`m going to be using my freshwater tank. and then it has to be one from an RV store. If I get one from any of the big box stores it doesn`t flow much if at all.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
Did you run antifreeze through the filter housing with the element removed when you winterized? If so, I expect the antifreeze only mixed a bit with the water in the housing, rather than forcing it all out. The diluted antifreeze would have a higher freezing point than the straight stuff.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

We_Cant_Wait
Explorer
Explorer
Even though it looks like you properly winterized ONE little thing that gets forgotten is to wipe dry the threads on the filter before screwing it back on and winterizing, there's always water on the threads after you take the filter out and dump it before winterizing. I had the same thing happen last year when a dealer winterized, but they made good and sent me a whole new filter asm.

jonmad
Explorer
Explorer
Nice job on the repair... Think I would support that pump as well before it is shaken loose.... Thanks for sharing... Good pictures!