cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Buying An RV Lot

Ricebug
Explorer
Explorer
We're looking at buying an RV lot somewhere in Western Washington. I see a lot of properties with the caveat that you can only live there X number of days per year. Other properties don't mention it.

Is it a seasonal thing? I figure if it's mine I should be able to live there all year 'round. What say you?

Terry & Sherry
Terry DeLaney
USAF, Retired
36 REPLIES 36

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
Are some RV parks selling spaces like condominiums, but you can only use them part of the year? How much does that cost, typically? Can they rent the space to others while you are not there or can you rent the space to others while you are not there? This sounds like time-share for RVs, but maybe that's not what the OP was asking about. Maybe they are looking at buying their own land outright and improving it for RV living.
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV

MattFromPA
Explorer
Explorer
Wife and I looked at a park model-only resort a few times. They told us clearly that full-time living was prohibited, which they enforced by not allowing mail delivery and probably other means. Besides being their rule it also violates local zoning (this is Pennsylvania, a relatively high-regulation state).

In most parts of the country you can't live in your vehicle, full stop. RV's are titled vehicles (as are park models). Mobile homes are deeded and have to meet HUD standards and are different legal animals.

That being said we've all seen 'campgrounds' with obvious full-time RV residents. Around here it usually boils down to location. Rural townships are more likely to let something like this slide. No resources to enforce the laws and residents that don't care anyway.

My question is, why buy trouble? If local laws prohibit what you intend to do and you plow ahead anyway, you're asking for problems sooner or later.

Valkyriebush
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pleasant Forest Camping Club in Lacey, warning, the I-5 corridor in that area is awful and getting worse. One reason I sold my lot there. Evergreen Coho SKP park in Chimacum, Wa. This is a great park. Research it under the Escapees Club. Good luck. PM me if you like. The SKP park may fit your needs perfectly. Very affordable too. Year round, OkThere is a waiting list for lot ownership. 7 years for us. Down to about 2-3 years now, (Lease owner). Still you can stay as a regular member. $29.00 annual membership fee. Great weekly, monthly rates.
Command Master Chief (AW) USN, (ret)
2003 Fleetwood Excursion 330 Turbo Cat 39D
2000 Jeep GC
2005 Big Ruckus (Rides Behind Jeep)
2003 VTX 1800

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
The particular limits you are referring to often have to do with housing codes that permit year round living only in structures that meet local codes or HUD rated for permanent residence. On top of that, local codes may be "no permanent residence" for RV park vs Mobile Home Park zoning. Zoning commisions and city/county councils have their own ideas of what makes sense.

In other parts of the country, there are climate issues that limit the season, would not expect this for western Washington.

If the terms of use don't meet your needs, don't buy in. The "why" is irrelevant, as you are not likely to change it.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

derouen6
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Ricebug,
We are also Terry and Sherry.

Sherry

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
Last year we bought a lot from a private party in a RV park in Key Largo , Florida.
It is a deeded lot and we can live there year round if we want to.

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

Ricebug
Explorer
Explorer
nickthehunter wrote:
Reading between the lines what I see is - you are contemplating a purchase, ignoring the rules clearly spelled out, and looking for someone to back you up. What do I say?: A disaster waiting to happen.
In my research, some RV lots that folks are selling have the residence restrictions. Other lots don't have any restrictions. Like some others in the forum suggest, it appears to be a zoning issue.

BTW, I always do the speed limit and I never break the rules. You owe me a kiss on the cheek and a cold beer.:C
Terry DeLaney
USAF, Retired

tonymull
Explorer
Explorer
The time allowed varies from county to county. The sticker is that they have to be considered temporary residences in order to avoid a lot of rules. At Port Susan the rules are tribal, not county. You can live there all year if you have 2 sites. Whatcom county allows fewer days than Snohomish for example 120 days vs 180 days. Also sometimes if you work for the park you can stay all year. We have a spot and then travel for the other half of the year. Allowed us to retire early and with a lot more disposable cash. There are many other rules you should make sure you can tolerate....limited structures, restrictions on cutting trees, deck sizes, and, where we are, no roofover parts can touch the ground so it all has to sit on the RV. It's not for everyone. We winter there when no one else is around, works great for our style.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Really think it out...RVing is geared for traveling and exploring, not for sitting in the same place all the time.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Ricebug wrote:
Thanks for the quick reply. We're trying to get in Olympia/Tumwater area.

Like all things, I'm sure it has to do with $$.

As in Cowlitz trails?
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

path1
Explorer
Explorer
darsben1 wrote:
Ricebug wrote:
We're looking at buying an RV lot somewhere in Western Washington. I see a lot of properties with the caveat that you can only live there X number of days per year. Other properties don't mention it.

Is it a seasonal thing? I figure if it's mine I should be able to live there all year 'round. What say you?

Terry & Sherry

What I say is if it says you can only live on the property X number of days a year that is what it means. In reality their is no one counting the days you are there unless you P.O. a busy body who blows you in. Then the government body or whoever MIGHT repeat MIGHT start to keep track

That is the way our park USED to be. Now a gate that operates with a key card. Couple key stokes and a complete list of "in" time by lot number.

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
Ricebug wrote:

Terry & Sherry
Reading between the lines what I see is - you are contemplating a purchase, ignoring the rules clearly spelled out, and looking for someone to back you up.
What do I say?: A disaster waiting to happen.

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
Ricebug wrote:

Terry & Sherry

What I say is if it says you can only live on the property X number of days a year that is what it means. In reality their is no one counting the days you are there unless you P.O. a busy body who blows you in. Then the government body or whoever MIGHT repeat MIGHT start to keep track
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Ricebug wrote:

Terry & Sherry

We'll sell you 2 lots:)

Talk to whoever issued their "use permit" to operate about how long you can live their. Owning a couple lots over 20 years septic system seems to be the main issue. Many people own one at one place and when times up move to another. Or some people own two lots and move within the park. Or there's even a park that people spend their "in time" and when that's up they buy their "out" time from the park. Check and see how people do it where you want to be. They are a good deal for most people. We've owned ours over 20 years. Very handy before we retired to get out of the city. Now retired we no longer need reservations to sleep under a tree somewhere. And whole neighborhood is usually quiet during the week as people go to work.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
During a recent trip to the PNW we looked at some property on the Long Beach Penn. and found the same time limit requirements as you are talking about. I believe as someone else stated earlier that in order to include RVs in the subdivisions that they had to be considered temporary structures for Zoning and Constructions purposes. They are therefore, not subject to the UBC, NEC and all the other Insurance Underwriters safety standards. RV safety and construction is more or less self policed by RVIA and as such are not included in the Town, City, County, State and National building and safety standards. There are some exceptions especially in regards to the chassis of RVs.

Some CC&Rs are slanted toward keeping up appearances and as so many of us are aware, RVs left in place on a permanent basis for occasional use are often unused after the novelty wears off and become shabby looking very quickly.

The PNW weather including where you are looking can cause deterioration very fast if proper maintenance is not completed in a timely manner.

One of the reasons we decided not to buy a lot is that then we were tied more closely to the location and we don't really do much destination camping, we drive around a lot.

Just some of the probably reasons for time limits.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II