cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Buying our first RV cover

Scotty092278
Explorer
Explorer
We're a young family in Idaho and purchased our first new travel trailer this year. We've enjoyed it and, of course, want to protect our investment. We wrapped up what will likely be our last trip of the season this weekend and are now beginning to think about winter storage.

Our trailer is parked outside of our home. Winters here produce some snow, which can stick for several weeks at a time. We have very sunny and hot summers, though I'm not sure I'll use a cover once the camping season begins. (It'll depend how easy it is to install, I suppose.)

All that said, I'd like to buy an adequate cover without going overboard. This is a new arena for me and I'm admittedly low on knowledge to buy with much confidence.

Any counsel would be very much appreciated. Thanks!
15 REPLIES 15

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased a Camco Ultraguard cover for our new Bungalow. It will sit at our seasonal site all winter, so we wanted to cover it. I researched covers all summer long. Adco doesn't make one long enough for our camper and to have them custom make one was over $1,000. Camco doesn't make one for a 40' Travel Trailer, but they do make one for a 40'-42' Class A motorhome. Since our Bungalow is taller than a normal TT, I thought the Class A cover would work.

This was the first time we ever covered a RV. The wife and kids (14 yo and 16 yo) were on the roof while I was on the ground making sure everything was straight and properly placed. The key to keeping a cover from getting shredded is covering all sharp edges, we used cut up pool noodles, and to make sure the cover doesn't flap in the wind.

Our cover has straps about 8 feet apart on the sides of the camper. They attach to the skirting of the camper. All parts of the straps that may come in contact with an exposed part of the camper is covered with cloth. There are two straps that go across the front and the back (one towards the top and ones toward the bottom). They get tightened to take up all the slack. The only thing on our cover that flaps in the wind are the parts of the cover that go over the vents in the cover. Ours has several vents on each side of the camper to allow moisture to escape.

Only time will tell if the cover is effective. We will visit the camper in December, so if there is a problem with the cover, we'll take it off. If all is well, we'll leave it on. From our point of view, the cover is just another level of insurance. If it gets torn to shreds, we know it isn't worth it and won't buy another.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
Cobra21 wrote:
The next winter, we tied 1 rope under the center so it couldn't blow off, then (this is the key) tie a rope all the way around the camper, right above the bumpers, and cinch it tight and walk away. Will do this again this year with our new cheap cover. By doing it this way, you don't have the tight pull at every corner and obstacle. Last one lasted 6 Minnesota winters.
Brian

That's what I used to do too, and it made a huge difference, no billowing at all. Doesn't work on the new trailer, the band around it slides off due to it's body shape. Like putting a belt on an egg.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a cheap cover for our 21' class C 7 years ago. After 1 winter, areas
were wearing through from tieing every loop under it tightly. We thought we had it tight enough that it wouldn't wear so bad, it did. The next winter, we tied 1 rope under the center so it couldn't blow off, then (this is the key) tie a rope all the way around the camper, right above the bumpers, and cinch it tight and walk away. Will do this again this year with our new cheap cover. By doing it this way, you don't have the tight pull at every corner and obstacle. Last one lasted 6 Minnesota winters.
Brian

Bmach
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pool noodles work great for covering rain cutter extensions.

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
I got 6 years out of the better Adco, then bought their cheaper one by mistake. Didn't make it 2 winters with that one. I now have a Calmark, top notch but quite heavy and bulky. My trailer is only 21', I wouldn't want to try it on a bigger trailer. Too much $ too.

I'd suggest the best ADCO, not too much $ for decent quality. Light enough to manage.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
I've used an ADCO cover now for five years. I did need to make one repair where I messed up and didn't pad a sharp corner. The trailer looks brand new after 6 years.

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Do the RV stores cover the RV's? If they do not, why should you?
For a lot of reasons that you most likely would not understand... :h :? :R
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:

Car dealerships don't have a large garage for everything on their lot.
But, many people take their car home and park it in their garage.
Same theory, right? ๐Ÿ™‚

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
pianotuna wrote:

No becasue they dont care about keeping them nice for years nor would they spend the money.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:

As I posted in another thread recently, yours is an irrelevant argument ...

"What dealer in his / her right mind would invest in hundreds of covers and have to pay staff to install & later remove each cover when the entire purpose of the business is to sell lot stock as quickly as possible? Hardly a rationale for an individual owner to not use a cover."

Common sense. :R
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I used an ADCO cover for 13 years on our last TT. Kept it fresh and clean over the winter. Cover paid for itself many times over at trade in.
Last winter I didn't put it on (we were trading TT in) and I was amazed at the wear to the roof. The difference was incredible.
I would not hesitate to get another one.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Covers last me two years and worth the SoCal sun protection provided. ADCOs are ok but trying another brand currently...just purchased. Will report in six months or so. TT is 7.5 wide so I can cover alone with my extension ladder...don't go on roof.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Scotty092278 wrote:
Our trailer is parked outside of our home. Winters here produce some snow, which can stick for several weeks at a time. We have very sunny and hot summers, though I'm not sure I'll use a cover once the camping season begins. (It'll depend how easy it is to install, I suppose.)

All that said, I'd like to buy an adequate cover without going overboard.

Some do, but installing a cover after every camping trip is WAY more work than I'd ever consider. ๐Ÿ˜ž Back when we owned popups I stored them in my heated workshop and as such they always looked good as new but when we moved into the world of full height trailers that was no longer possible. The first winter I rented indoor storage but it was so costly the next winter I bought an ADCO AquaShed cover and even though it wasn't rated as suitable for heavy snow as was the more expensive ADCO Tyvek it worked just fine. I've used ADCO covers ever since, no issues at all, no tearing as others sometimes report, and have had no complaints other than it's a PITA to install and the same to remove, meaning I'd only do it once in late fall and again in early spring but no way I'd do it during the camping season. Last winter I was offered the opportunity by a friend of a friend to store indoors but this winter I may have to store outdoors again and if so would cover it once again with an ADCO.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380