cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying used from Dealership and trading in our C

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
We have well used our class C and are now considering and gently used A. We want to trade in because it is just easier. So to whomever has done this....

Can I expect half book value on our rv?
How much lower than listed price can we get them to go?

We bought our first, the class C, from private owner.
Donna
16 REPLIES 16

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingbob wrote:
... One advantage of trade is it is possible to save on sales tax . Tax is on the difference , not on price !
And this can be a big deal depending on your state sales tax rate.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Price difference is what you ask the dealer for . As said above you do not really care what the price is or the price of your trade . One advantage of trade is it is possible to save on sales tax . Tax is on the difference , not on price !

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Trading in is always easier, but always a money-loser for you, IMHO.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
dcason wrote:
OHHHH, will question that...he did ask us what county/state we were in for sales tax.
Donna

Just like your truck trade in, if you weren’t aware.
Trade values for like “property” aren’t subject to sales tax.
I’m actually trading our truck and camper for a newer truck (private party) and same rules apply. We’ve got a basically even value trade, so neither of us will pay sales tax. I may pay a little because I believe they’ll value his truck a bit higher than my combo.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
dcason wrote:
The problem with our selling it ourselves is that last year we tried to sell a gently used pick up for $15, then 12 and NO takers. Our area not great apparently/upstate NY so running scared on trying to sell a similar priced motorhome. Hubby ended up trading in the pick up truck for a new one....
Donna

Depends what the truck was worth.
What was the trade in value? And discount off new?
Not being nosy but seeing if you were just asking too much for the truck.
And the “trade value “ is subjective as you know. It’s the overall cost of the transaction based on the value of both vehicles. Dealers are good at cooking the numbers for those who are ignorant of the worth of their vehicles.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
OHHHH, will question that...he did ask us what county/state we were in for sales tax.
Donna

Wayfarer
Explorer
Explorer
If I am not mistaken when you trade in an RV you only pay sales tax on the difference between the new trailer price and the trade value. If you sell your current RV and then use that money as a payment on the new RV you will be paying tax on the whole value of your new RV. Depending on the values involved this could be a factor.
2021 Tiffin Wayfarer 25RW

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
The problem with our selling it ourselves is that last year we tried to sell a gently used pick up for $15, then 12 and NO takers. Our area not great apparently/upstate NY so running scared on trying to sell a similar priced motorhome. Hubby ended up trading in the pick up truck for a new one....
Donna

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you! it was/is a Thor Ace. Just this morning I decided to read reviews on the brand and Thor is not a good brand. We are going to pass. ****...wanted that king bed and kitchen counter with work space...another time maybe....

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator
You can always do better selling privately, especially in a sellers market. Dealerships can't keep inventory on the lot right now so supply is low and demand is high. Covid cases going up means lots of newbies buying RV's because conventional travel is difficult and risky. Been this way since spring.

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Tal_IL
Explorer
Explorer
We traded our Class A gasser on a nice used Diesel pusher this spring. The price on the DP was about mid-way between low and avg NADA retail. The trade in allowance on our gasser was right at NADA low retail.
35 miles from Normal, IL. As close to normal as I'll ever be.

2006 Country Coach Inspire Genoa 40ft

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
An honest dealer will treat you right.
We traded in our 07 32ft TT last year and the dealer gave me $7k for it. And the MH we bought was in above average condition and perfect with lots of added on options. Shop smart and be well informed!

Good luck!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don’t forget it’s the out the door price that matters. So if your current RV is worth 20k but they offer 1k and take off 19k from the new RV, you are whole. Passion and ego costs money. Leave your passion and ego at home. You have already indicated you want an “easy” trade in and not sell privately. Not a tuff stance. P.T. Barnum said...
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you..we are prepared to walk or not even go see if the estimate for ours and their lowest price is not good enough. AND it is kind of off our route home from Arizona (to NY).