cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

CA Registration only took 7 months.....

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, for those of you who have read and commented on my previous post concerning getting our new mh registered in California....Good News.

Today, we FINALLY received the new plates and registration papers that we applied originally for back in August. After seven trips to local DMV, two trips to Bakersfield DMV, untold amount of phone conversations with Sacramento DMV, and two coach inspections by DMV agents....the mailman presented us with the fruits of our perseverance.

However, it seems that they are having problems reimbursing us the duplicate $1800 registration fees that they insisted on during our first visit to the local DMV even tho I pointed out to them that we had included the registration fees with the initial purchase. We bought the coach in Oregon, and the papers list the fee as a "Title Fee" and the CA DMV agent said that was different than "Registratrion Fee". Well, of course it was the same and Sacramento finally admitted that it was and that they would refund us the total duplicate. That was back in September and now they're saying it will have to go through their Sacramento accounting department and that we should receive a check in three to four weeks.

I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER VEHICLE OUT OF STATE....I don't care what it costs me!

Anyway, one hurdle down, one to go.

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....
30 REPLIES 30

tuna_fisher
Explorer
Explorer
Ca. DMV employees don't know anything except when break time is!! You can ask 3 a question and get 3 different answers. Don't even buy a motorcycle with less than 7500 miles on it, you can't get it liscensed, period.
2001 GMC DM, 1995 Lance Lite, @005 Eclipse Toyhauler, Toy's!;)

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
MrOldman wrote:
Another good reason why I would move to California to live! Also is there anything they don't tax you on?

I'm sure you meant would "not".:S....and yes, they don't tax food stuff at grocery stores. I was recently in Utah and was shocked that they did.:E

Posted By: IAMICHABOD on 03/24/14 08:58pm

Hope you didn't pay by Credit Card

Nope....by check.

Posted By: TOOBOLD on 03/24/14 09:45pm
Did you go to the F Street or the Southwest DMV? I'm surprised they didn't know there are a ton of RV/Trailers in this area.

Yes, F Street. The inspector (Mexican lady) wasn't interested in getting down on her hands and knees to inspect the tag on the engine...she was mainly concerned with finding two places that showed the VIN. Consequently, when making out the inspection form, she "didn't" check off the "California Emission Certified" box. That was why we had to get the 2nd inspection at our local DMV.

I think the majority of our problems was two-fold.

1st, DMV office agents really aren't all that versed on Diesel motor homes...trucks yes, but the motor homes fall into a different category. Plus, the laws pertaining to emissions on diesels have been changing in the past few years and it's probably hard to keep up with them. The level of competence with DMV agents varies considerably. The odds of getting one who knows what they are doing is difficult (to say the least). Most are knowledgeable on autos and pickups, but don't have a clue with diesel motorhomes that weigh over 26,000 lbs.

and....

2nd, when our dealer in Oregon sent all the paper work to Sacramento DMV, they (DMV) promptly loss track of it and was probably misfiled some where. The dealer eventually had to re-send the entire package after several months of the DMV trying and failing to locate the original package.

Anyway, In the meantime, I will keep hounding them on my $1800 refund.

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
Gonzo42 wrote:
Mostly you are lucky to live in Oregon instead of the People's Republic of California.

Just moved from Ca. to Oregon in Jan. Lived in Ca. for over 30 years.
cpaulsen

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
7 months, :E WOW, you can almost get a pistol permit in NY that fast.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

fireman93514
Explorer
Explorer
It took us two years to convince CA we did not live there any more. we sent license plate numbers copies of registration repeatedly to the to no avail. we even got threatening letters to suspend of license's. Finally we just stopped responding. I guess they finally figures it out. Have not gotten a letter from DMV for a year or so.
John & Judy
2007 Winnebago Access 31C
2008 Ford Focus

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
Mostly you are lucky to live in Oregon instead of the People's Republic of California.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
Wow......I must be lucky! Bought my last truck and 5th wheel in Oregon and many other vehicles in Oregon when I lived in Ca. Never had a problem. The last truck and 5th wheel had both licensed within 3 days with the plates in them.
Also....took one trip to DMV and about 20 minutes to get the late MIL's car to our name....no smog or extra money for anything except the title transfer.
cpaulsen

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
If at all possible, use the auto club for registration. After 3 years and uncountable trips to the DMV which decided to charge me more money and demand more paperwork on each visit, the auto club made it work.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
California is unfriendly to everybody even to Californians!!!!

navegator

TOOBOLD
Explorer
Explorer
We bought in Arizona and it took us 3 trips to the DMV. The first one I didn't know I had to have the trailer with me. I didn't have to pay any further tax as we had already paid in Arizona and they have reciprocity. After I should up the first time I wasn't in a rush to go back. We ended up getting everything taken care of at a San Diego DMV while on vacation.

Did you go to the F Street or the Southwest DMV? I'm surprised they didn't know there are a ton of RV/Trailers in this area. My first DMV trip was to the Inglewood DMV. Not the mecca for RV's.

Our second out of state purchase was flawless as we knew what to do and it was from an individual not a dealer this time, so I had to cut them a big check for "use tax."

MrOldman
Explorer
Explorer
Another good reason why I would move to California to live! Also is there anything they don't tax you on?

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hope you didn't pay by Credit Card :E
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

tsetsaf
Explorer III
Explorer III
Uh-oh... last week I sent my "packet" in for registration via mail. We qualify for a boe 111 hope it doesn't drag out too long.
2006 Ram 3500
2014 Open Range
"I don't trust my own advise!"

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
Took me over 3 years to transfer my late mother's car into my name, and 6 months to get title on our MH.

I think I'm about due for a long, slow root canal.

Moved from ATC